Is it ok to watch the Exorcist movies?

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

I have seen all 3 of the Exorcist movies, now there is a new one out, is it ok to watch these? I thought maybe so the first one really scared me, I figured maybe that fear is good as far as keeping me from sin. What’s your opinion, see it or not and why?

40.png
dizzy_dave:
I have seen all 3 of the Exorcist movies, now there is a new one out, is it ok to watch these? I thought maybe so the first one really scared me, I figured maybe that fear is good as far as keeping me from sin. What’s your opinion, see it or not and why?
Watching The Exorcist as a teenager was one of the things that led to my conversion. A lot of things went wrong on the set of the original movie, and many believed that Satan did not want the movie to be released, since he has more power when people are unaware of him. Also, the author of the The Exorcist, William Peter Blatty, is a devout Catholic who wanted to expose Satan for the lying snake that he is.

I’ve watched the original a few times in the past, but I won’t anymore. Partly because it is disturbing and partly because I worry that the devil will somehow take it as an invitation to enter my life. That may be a bit paranoid on my part, but I figure better safe than sorry.

I can say that the Vatican uses the exorcist films (probably mainly the original first one) as a film for trainee priests in seminary. From this the conclusion could be made that they are showing the realisms of exorcism and what happens during posession by the devil, or that this is just a load of rubbish. However by letting the priests watch it the Vatican clearly do no object to the film.

I heard in an interview that Rome’s chief exorcist said that it was his favorite movie.

Plus it’s one of the few Hollyweird movies out there that protray priests as heros. I always found the original Exorcist movie slightly inspiring, in a creepy sort of way.

i guess it is ok to watch the exorcist. The movie portrays a reality that the church had encountered many times. It portrays the devils presence in this world. And the last resort to solve these problems of evil “attack” is exorcism by the catholic priest with the power of the Holy Spirit.

I have never seen any of the movies.The previews were enough for me. However, I have heard a Bishop in NC state from the alter that it was a true story and he knew the priest about whom it was written. The Bishop said that the original child was a boy. He related that the priest told him the child ran up the wall just like a spider.

It bothers me to think that God would allow this to happen to a child, although He did send the priest to save the child. I know He always has a higher good in mind. No doubt he thought we needed to know that Satan was real and He knew of those who would be converted later from the story.

catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0137.html

The above link has the true story behind the movie. The article is written by Father William Saunders, dean of the Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom College and pastor of Our Lady of Hope Parish in Sterling, Virginia.

The boy’s aunt was a medium, and taught him how to use a Ouija board. It wasn’t so much that God “allowed this” to happen to a young boy; rather the boy’s aunt deliberately invited it.

I always found it interesting that the boy was Lutheran. His parents took him to their minister who told him Lutherans don’t do exorcisms, and referred them to a Catholic priest. 👍

Personally, the only way I would ever watch the original movie is with our parish priest on one side of me and our diocese bishop on the other side. 😃

Maggie

40.png
grammyof3:
I have never seen any of the movies.The previews were enough for me. However, I have heard a Bishop in NC state from the alter that it was a true story and he knew the priest about whom it was written. The Bishop said that the original child was a boy. He related that the priest told him the child ran up the wall just like a spider.

It bothers me to think that God would allow this to happen to a child, although He did send the priest to save the child. I know He always has a higher good in mind. No doubt he thought we needed to know that Satan was real and He knew of those who would be converted later from the story.
Can you imagine seeing a possessed child running up and down the wall like a spider:eek: :eek: :eek:

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
Can you imagine seeing a possessed child running up and down the wall like a spider:eek: :eek: :eek:
AARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH :eek: :eek: :eek:

Michael :bigyikes:

40.png
Jabronie:
Plus it’s one of the few Hollyweird movies out there that protray priests as heros. I always found the original Exorcist movie slightly inspiring, in a creepy sort of way.
Jason Miller’s priest role is very inspiring! (Not to mention an Oscar-nominated part, too!) Here we have a young priest, wanting to make a difference and who is obviously tormented over his mother. When Satan mocks him using his mother’s voice, the priest falters maybe a bit, but his eventual fate is so noble. (I won’t spoil the movie for anyone who hasn’t seen it)

Mt Rainer, where the real life possessed kid lived, is just outside of Washington DC.

I’m not sure if this is true, but some folks say that the lot on which the house used to be, is pretty weird. Nothing grows on this lot, and there is a tree that is partially on the lot and partially off. One side of the tree is alive, the other side is dead.

I drive through Mt Rainier every once in a while maybe once or twice a year. I have no idea where the lot is and I’m not sure I really want to find out.

As a warning to folks who have not seen the original. The movie is very intense, and extremely creepy. You do NOT want to see this movie alone, late at night.

The fact that it is based on a real life event makes it much more creepy.

The sequels were really cheesy and not worth watching. The original is a classic, and very disturbing. Do not let young kids see this.

40.png
GoldenArrow:
Is the new Exorcist movie as good as the old one?
No (IMHO),

I watched it this last weekend. It was MORE disturbing than the first because there are numerous scenes of gruesom murders. I defenitly did not feel anything but disturbed after.
I did not get anything worth while out of the new film.

When I watched the original Exorcist movie, I wasn’t scared at all! I just thought it was another horror movie, akin to Freddy Krueger. However, at the time, I didn’t know it was based on real life events. Yikes! Ignorance in certian matters is sometimes a good thing, I guess.

What did you think of the AmityVille Horror movies? I heard those were based on real life events, and that, at one point, St. Padre Pio got involved. I thought these were fairly scary.

I’m a Gen-Xer and I grew up on the 1980’s horror films (before I returned to Church). As teenagers, we rented these movies all the time. Every Friday was “horror night.” Not much scares me anymore, especially after seeing the “Hellraiser” films. The only horror films I haven’t seen are the “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” movies, mostly because I have grown out of them and don’t need to have a fear of hand tools. HA!.

I never saw The Exorcist or Amityville Horrors until I was in my 30s, and by then, I was pretty desensitized. That’s probably why they didn’t phase me.

OHHH … one movie that sticks in my mind is “Rosemary’s Baby.” That was pretty freaky!!! Another freaky series is the “Omen” series. Both of these films are about the Anti-christ.

I like the suspense aspect of horror films, but they don’t scare me.

Don’t get me wrong. I do believe in the existence of Old Scratch and his fallen angels, but I also believe that they can’t harm my soul because I belong to Jesus. Therefore, when Old Scratch starts tempting me I just say, “Get thee behind me, Satan!” or “My Jesus, have mercy on me a sinner.” These simple words said by a contrite and humble soul make the Devil flee.

Now, the ONLY film that scared me in an intense way was “8 MM” with Nicolas Cage … only because the film was too close to reality. I didn’t sleep for two days after watching that one. I didn’t know people could be that evil. The film removed some of my naivety by depicting the extreme evil of snuff films. This film shows the extreme evil that the Devil has manifested through man, and I find this idea to be very scary. I don’t recommend watching it, because it depicts man at his very lowest.

I don’t know but the exorcists is like my favorite movie. But My Uncle who is a priest has told me that i shouldn’t be watching this movie cuz of the bad dreams i’ve had about my brother. I went to go talk to the priest from the church I go to and he told I probably shouldn’t be watching it either. If i go ask the bishop and some of the other priests I know they will tell me the same thing. but I just can’t help watching it. Its an interesting movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back