Is it possible to never comit mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pwlj_christ87
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pwlj_christ87

Guest
Hello all, i have a question that ive been pondering today, I am 25 years old and is it possible to never comit a mortal sin until I die? Since mortal sin requires the three elements in order for it to be a sin, i often turn away from sin when I come to grisps that it is a grave offence which is a good thing I think. I am struggling with temptation lately, but I am extremely fearful when I am not in a state of grace, i almost need to go to church right away without possibility of getting into an accident… i thin im a relatively good person abiding in christ, i still sometimes feel no good,

but ya, is it possible for me to never comit a mortal sin until i die??is this the goal?
 
Hello all, i have a question that ive been pondering today, I am 25 years old and is it possible to never comit a mortal sin until I die? Since mortal sin requires the three elements in order for it to be a sin, i often turn away from sin when I come to grisps that it is a grave offence which is a good thing I think. I am struggling with temptation lately, but I am extremely fearful when I am not in a state of grace, i almost need to go to church right away without possibility of getting into an accident… i thin im a relatively good person abiding in christ, i still sometimes feel no good,

but ya, is it possible for me to never comit a mortal sin until i die??is this the goal?
Yes it is possible but not likely.
 
but ya, is it possible for me to never comit a mortal sin until i die??is this the goal?
I guess it is possible, but I’d be highly impressed if you (or anyone else) could pull it off. Also, if people are willfully ignorant so they don’t know certain acts or lack thereof are sins. I’d say the goal is to go beyond never committing a mortal sin and trying to push all sni out of our lives and let Christ fill us up as opposed to evil and pride.
 
Hello all, i have a question that ive been pondering today, I am 25 years old and is it possible to never comit a mortal sin until I die? Since mortal sin requires the three elements in order for it to be a sin, i often turn away from sin when I come to grisps that it is a grave offence which is a good thing I think. I am struggling with temptation lately, but I am extremely fearful when I am not in a state of grace, i almost need to go to church right away without possibility of getting into an accident… i thin im a relatively good person abiding in christ, i still sometimes feel no good,

but ya, is it possible for me to never commit a mortal sin until i die??
Possible but unlikely.
is this the goal?
It is one of the goals yes - it is not THE goal…
Our Goal is union with God.
God is Love (1 John 4:7-8) and therefore our Goal is to BECOME Perfected in Love (Mt 5:48) The more perfected we become in Love…the nearer we draw to God…the easier it is to avoid mortal sin.

My advice to anyone who, like you, sometimes feels “no good” is to spend less time looking at the things we are NOT suppose to do and start looking more closely at the things we ARE suppose to be doing. 👍

It really helps.

Peace
James
 
Possible but unlikely.

It is one of the goals yes - it is not THE goal…
Our Goal is union with God.
God is Love (1 John 4:7-8) and therefore our Goal is to BECOME Perfected in Love (Mt 5:48) The more perfected we become in Love…the nearer we draw to God…the easier it is to avoid mortal sin.
**
My advice to anyone who, like you, sometimes feels “no good” is to spend less time looking at the things we are NOT suppose to do and start looking more closely at the things we ARE suppose to be doing.** 👍

It really helps.

Peace
James
^ Best advice ever.
 
I doubt it…but for your consideration…
Catechism Catholic Church 2nd Edition
1861 Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we** must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God**.
This trusting of the judgment of the acts of others – to be or not to be – a mortal sin – to the judgment and mercy of God…applies equally to our self.

My point is that we can error in judging our sins as mortal (even after a good holy examination of conscience)…but God who is the only one who can truly judge our heart, mind, intellect, freedom and conscience at the time of the act…may have a different judgment…and his judgment is the only one that counts.

That is why praying to the Holy Spirit and then making a good humble examination of conscience…daily…is so very important. In the end…we have to make a judgment of our self…our actions…and…with the Holy Spirit’s grace…“call it like we see it”…bottom line: His Love and Mercy endures forever…thanks be to God!
I Corinthians 4:3-4
Knox Bible (KNOX)
3 Yet for myself, I make little account of your scrutiny, or of any human audit-day; I am not even at pains to scrutinize my own conduct. 4 My conscience does not, in fact, reproach me; but that is not where my justification lies; it is the Lord’s scrutiny I must undergo.
1 Corinthians 4:3-4
New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.
Pax Christi
 
Yes it is possible but not likely.
Why is it not likely? I think if a person is very serious about their faith life, go to frequent confession, pray daily and receive Eucharist as often as possible, then they should not be committing mortal sins. That is the goal and I think it is possible to achieve.
 
This thread brings up a question I have re mortal sin.Before going to reconciliation yesterday,I viewed an online examination of conscience.Going through the Ten Commandments ,I got to thinking,if one breaks any of them,say through gossip or coveting ,envy of others’ lives is this a mortal or venial sin?:confused:
 
This thread brings up a question I have re mortal sin.Before going to reconciliation yesterday,I viewed an online examination of conscience.Going through the Ten Commandments ,I got to thinking,if one breaks any of them,say through gossip or coveting ,envy of others’ lives is this a mortal or venial sin?:confused:
The Catechism says…
1858 Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: “Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother.” The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger.

The Catechism, in explaining each of the commandments, includes many things not expressly stated in the commands themselves - such as items you mention above.

So - going by what the catechism says…intentionally and knowingly breaking one of the commandments constitutes mortal sin - regardless of the degree of gravity.

Now this is a strict reading of the Catechism…Others I have discussed this with take a less strict approach…

Probably best to discuss with your confessor

Peace
James
 
The Catechism says…
1858 Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: “Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother.” The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger.

The Catechism, in explaining each of the commandments, includes many things not expressly stated in the commands themselves - such as items you mention above.

So - going by what the catechism says…intentionally and knowingly breaking one of the commandments constitutes mortal sin - regardless of the degree of gravity.

Now this is a strict reading of the Catechism…Others I have discussed this with take a less strict approach…

Probably best to discuss with your confessor

Peace
James
Thank you!🙂
 
Yes. It is the goal.

I think it’s naturally to feel spiritual dryness. Feeling no good could also mean that perhaps there’s more you could be doing with your time and energy, though don’t take that the wrong way. I have no idea what you do in your spare time, which could be filled with wholesome activities. In that case, you have my respect.

Pray for me as you attend the Mass.
 
St. Therese was told by her Confessor that she had never committed a mortal sin.
She resolved at the age of three to always do Gods will.
 
thank you for your posts i encourage more if possible, thank you for your post to whoever told me i should focus more on what i should do rather than what i shouldnt, i have recieved a great youtube video as well in private messages…

i am working on myself everyday , reading more etc, if there is one thing i want is to reach perfection in god, i want to be like the priests and elderly who are so firm, really going to give this 100 percent, actions speak louder than words though (and posts )
 
thank you for your posts i encourage more if possible, thank you for your post to whoever told me i should focus more on what i should do rather than what i shouldnt, i have recieved a great youtube video as well in private messages…

i am working on myself everyday , reading more etc, if there is one thing i want is to reach perfection in god, i want to be like the priests and elderly who are so firm, really going to give this 100 percent, actions speak louder than words though (and posts )
This is good…👍 but do be careful and pace yourself. This is a Marathon, not a sprint.

I liken growing holiness to be like dieting and exercising.
It requires a knowledge of yourself and your needs and priorities, commitment to improve, planning and a way to measure success, and most of all perseverance…
And like dieting and exercise, there will be really good days and ones not so good. But if we can stay focused…and firm in our reliance on God…we will get there.

Peace
James
 
Yep. Blessed Virgin Mary never committed any sin, and was free from original sin. It is likely St. John the Baptist also never did. Perhaps St. Francis (the perfect Christian) and St. Joseph?
 
Yep. Blessed Virgin Mary never committed any sin, and was free from original sin. It is likely St. John the Baptist also never did. Perhaps St. Francis (the perfect Christian) and St. Joseph?
Mary was the only creature that was sinless.
 
Why is it not likely? I think if a person is very serious about their faith life, go to frequent confession, pray daily and receive Eucharist as often as possible, then they should not be committing mortal sins. That is the goal and I think it is possible to achieve.
Because there is no checklist to Heaven. Avoiding mortal sins doesnt neccessarily grant you access, its only a part of salvation, our part. The other piece that we should focus on is Gods mercy, for that is the only way one gets into Heaven.

Even if we committed all the mortal sins in the world and repented, we rely on Gods mercy just as someone who never committed mortal sin.

Obviously avoiding mortal sin is an important piece and we should strive for that, but its not by our own merits that we are saved.

There is no guarantee or entitlement to Heaven just because one fulfills the legalistic motions. Compared to Christ and the Virgin Mary, none of us are worthy of Heaven and that God even gives any of us that possibility of entering it is a testament to His infinite mercy.
 
Sorry if i repeat myself with someone else, i haven’t read the replies.

I found myself that i had committed many mortal sin without knowing it. Doing a exam of conscience provided with the catholic church brought many light in my life.

Here is a link that i found that you could use to see if you did commit one. If you violet any of the 10 commandments, it is a mortal sin.

keepingitcatholic.org/exam.html

You can research to find a good conscience examination pamphlet prior to go to the confess.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top