Is it Possible to Receive Absolution Without Reconciliation or Annointing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jokoangel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jokoangel

Guest
:gopray2:****The reason that I ask this is that I had been praying for the intercession of St. John Vianney (whose feast day is today, by the way) for a relative who was noticeably dying. I had been praying that he would be able to get good with God. I was elated that he decided to go to Mass with us and upon approaching the Church, met our Pastor at the entrance whereby he knelt down at the Pastors feet and kissed his hand. I had asked the Pastor if he could hear his confession - but he said ‘no.’ He did give him a blessing though, but I’ve always wondered if he might have given him absolution in that blessing - would this be possible??? - May St. John Mary Vianney intercede for all our Priests . . . :gopray2:
 
No, only a Roman Catholic priest may give you absolution from your sins in the confessional box. If alone and he hears your confession in private, he can still give you absolution.
Before you enter the confessional box, or confess your sins privately to the priest, you must become heartily sorry for your sin, sins, and be ready to confess them to the priest. But your sins are forgiven before you go into the confessional box for the absolution from the priest. Receiving a blessing from a priest doesn’t absolve you from your sins, you should still go to confession.
On you death bed, no priest is there for you, review your sins, and be truly sorry for all of the sins of your past life, say the act of contrition, and repeat the names of ‘’ Jesus, Mary, Joseph’’ or some other short prayer ‘‘Jesus remember me when I enter your kingdom’’
also say the prayer Jesus says ‘the our father’’
Hopefully someone will bring you a priest before you die. God Bless you and enjoy!!!
:):):):):)🙂
If your friend is really sick, tell the priest and he will come to give him the last rites. He doesn’t have to die to get the last rites, he cay recieve the last rites as often as you can get a priest to go to see him. You should have candles at the bed side, but that’s it!!
Its possible to receive the forgiveness of your sins, without absolution from the priest in time of death.
 
Code:
[quote="Jokoangel, post:1, topic:164251"]
:gopray2:****The reason that I ask this is that I had been praying for the intercession of St. John Vianney (whose feast day is today, by the way) for a relative who was noticeably dying.  I had been praying that he would be able to get good with God.  I was elated that he decided to go to Mass with us and upon approaching the Church, met our Pastor at the entrance whereby he knelt down at the Pastors feet and kissed his hand.  I had asked the Pastor if he could hear his confession - but he said 'no.'  He did give him a blessing though, but I've always wondered if he might have given him absolution in that blessing - would this be possible??? - May St. John Mary Vianney intercede for all our Priests . . .  :gopray2:

[/quote]



I am not sure this will answear your question but, when I was young I heard a priest give a talk about making a complete act of contrition just before you died and that would be enough to save you.
 
:gopray2:****The reason that I ask this is that I had been praying for the intercession of St. John Vianney (whose feast day is today, by the way) for a relative who was noticeably dying. I had been praying that he would be able to get good with God. I was elated that he decided to go to Mass with us and upon approaching the Church, met our Pastor at the entrance whereby he knelt down at the Pastors feet and kissed his hand. I had asked the Pastor if he could hear his confession - but he said ‘no.’ He did give him a blessing though, but I’ve always wondered if he might have given him absolution in that blessing - would this be possible??? - May St. John Mary Vianney intercede for all our Priests . . . :gopray2:
First, to answer your question directly, no it’s not very likely (in fact, extremely unlikely) that the priest would have absolved him in the situation you’ve described.

It sound like your friend met the priest on his way in to Mass–perhaps the priest simply did not have time to hear a confession before Mass. Did your friend ask the priest to hear his confession after Mass, or at some other time?
 
It sound like your friend met the priest on his way in to Mass–perhaps the priest simply did not have time to hear a confession before Mass. Did your friend ask the priest to hear his confession after Mass, or at some other time?
****It is true, the Priest was asked BEFORE Mass which, incidentally, was one hour prior to the start of Mass. Priest was busy greeting the congregation when they arrived and similarly, was unavailable AFTER Mass for the same reason. As he died without any Sacraments I am very sad, but I still have faith in a very loving Father. Thank you FrDavid for responding. Joan OCDS
 
On the matter of reconciliation. I travel to Spain each year and it is impossible at times to find a priest to hear your confession in English. Most will refuse you unless they can understand you. Is this allowed or can they hear your confession in your native language? I remember one incident in which a priest gave me absolution and said I could receive communion and then at an opportune time confess in my native language. What is your opinion on these two questions ? What does Cannon law say on this?
in Christ,
niel
 
Absolution can be given without confessing the sins for unconscious person, also in certain cases (war, life threatening danger) as communal absolution.

It is not likely that in the described case the priest gave absolution, but almost certainly the desire for absolution is sufficient to be saved. God is loving judge.
 
On the matter of reconciliation. I travel to Spain each year and it is impossible at times to find a priest to hear your confession in English. Most will refuse you unless they can understand you. Is this allowed or can they hear your confession in your native language?
It’s up to the priest.

He has to determine at that time, and under the circumstances whether or not it’s appropriate. So, it’s “allowed” either way. If a priest cannot understand what sins you’re confessing, or understand your own sincerity, he’s not likely to be in a position where he can truly make a judgement. If the priest is comfortable doing so (in other words, he doesn’t think that you’re trying to hide something by confessing in a different language or something like that), he can.
I remember one incident in which a priest gave me absolution and said I could receive communion and then at an opportune time confess in my native language. What is your opinion on these two questions ? What does Cannon law say on this?
in Christ,
niel
Yes. The priest can do this because absolution is a juridic act of the Church. Once he absolved you, you were absolved (simple as that), and thereby eligible for Communion. Keep in mind though the part that he did say that you needed to go to a complete Confession with a priest who speaks your language.
 
Laslo,
Its true God is a loving God BUT he is also a just God. Every stain of our sin will be paid for either here or in purgatory.
 
I bought this productzumba fitness DVD because I am a housewife and I wanted to do something to help me lose my pregnancy weight and get fit. The first thing I noticed after putting on the steps of the teaching video is that while learning the steps that I developed and not even realize it until it iszumba completed. So when I moved to the workout of 20 minutes, I was so disappointed it was over, I did it again. I noticed immediate results and I really enjoyed it. The disadvantage is that although I love it when I do, I am not using it as often as I should. I think Prison break DVDif I had a training partner I would get more use out of it this way we could keep each other motivated. I’ll do a program and see if that helps. Usually when I get into a daily routine to do something it becomesYour baby can read DVD natural, so we’ll see …because as I said once that is in it is great! I had this product a month ago and know I could do a lot of fun to work! Is fun, but it is a workout. It is intense, but I noticed in myself and results! I lost 35The tribe DVD pounds (eat better and work on) but I wanted something new to challenge myself. Zumba has given me the extra training they need to lose over 8 pounds now I have 43 pounds (or more) lighter and feeling good!
 
I need some clarification on a moral issue that was brought to me and was not sure how to advise this person. If an individual goes to the sacrament of reconciliation how detailed need they be? Such as if they have gone with a prostitute and paid money do they have to go into these details or simply say they have committed a sin of impurity with a woman?:confused:
Praise be God the Father His, Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit both now and forever.
n.
 
I need some clarification on a moral issue that was brought to me and was not sure how to advise this person. If an individual goes to the sacrament of reconciliation how detailed need they be? Such as if they have gone with a prostitute and paid money do they have to go into these details or simply say they have committed a sin of impurity with a woman?:confused:
Praise be God the Father His, Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit both now and forever.
n.
The penitent needs to make sure that he/she confesses clearly, so that the priest knows the seriousness of the sin.

St. Josemaria Escriva always urged that our confessions be - concise, concrete, clear and complete. Be concise - use few words; concrete - don’t ramble, say what needs to be said; clear - be understood; complete - do not leave anything out. And, have contrition.

If someone had sex with a prostitute, then state that.
 
It sounds to me like the pastor was busy at that time but your friend could have made an appointment with him or another priest, not that absolution was being denied, and yes, it sounds like it was a case of “crossed wires” in communication. Unfortunately, the subsequent opportunity never occurred.

In times of grave danger general absolution can be given without confession of sins. At the WTC on Sept. 11, 2001, at least two priests gave general absolution to the firefighters and other rescue workers who were entering the buildings before they collapsed, to cite a fairly recent example. BTW–one of them, Fr. Michael Judge, died himself in the collapse of one of the towers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top