Is it really Mortal Sin if

• Thread starter Thread starter javelin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Mijoy2:
The question is one of my being 50 - 100 miles offshore and being offshore all weekend. Of course, if I were retired or indepentantly wealthy I’d be able to avoid this trip encompassing a Sunday. This, also, is not something that is habitual, it’s a few times a year ordeal. … I likened it to a trip (vacation) to some part of the world that did not celebrate Mass. There is no way to get to a service in this situation. So the question comes up, should one never take a vacation somewhere where going to Sunday service is impossible? Are all (if any) of the Catholic contestants in the TV show Survivior in mortal sin? Or any other example you may be able to think about. How about an Atctic adventure, or a trip to some remote country in Africa? Or an attempt to Hikd the Appalacian trail? Are all of these things forbidden?

Having to work offshore dispenses you from the requirement. Also, if you are travelling in places far from a church. The Church is reasonable - if Mass is just not available, you are dispensed from the obligation. Talk to your priest about it - he will give you a dispensation for those times when it is impossible, and that will ease your conscience.

One who has no such passion or who’s every Sunday is pretty much a carbon copy of every other Sunday may not be very understanding of this. I am not suggesting for a moment, that I do not wish to go to Mass. I am saying that I don’t feel the Church commands my selling the boat I spent my life saving for and my life dreaming about, because of the very rare event that I may miss a Sunday service. Esspecially where I’d love to enhance my devotion for the rest of the week because of the missed service.

The Priests I have expressed this concern to overwhelming and without reservation understand and have provided me comfort.

I’m sure they did.

It’s a matter of interpretation of the joint doctrine of 1) missing mass being a sin, and 2) definition of Mortal sin.

There’s no sin at all if it is impossible to get to Mass. What you have said above makes things more clear. When I say that deliberately missing Mass on Sunday is a mortal sin, I am talking about those you refer to below.

Anyway I think this has been beaten to death. Funny how when I was drinking beer all day Sunday and didn’t give a thought to Mass, nobody was telling me I was subjecting myself to Hell. I don’t get that feeling when I speak to clergy, however from time to time I do get it in these forums, saddly.

It’s sad that noone warned you that you were, indeed, on the road to Hell. Even sadder that priests do not tell you that as well. Unfortunately, some of our priests are infected with the “God is Love” virus. Indeed He is, but it is a sin of presumption to do whatever you feel like, sinful or not, and persuade yourself that, since God is Love, He is going to overlook the sin. That just isn’t so.

Joan M:
It’s sad that noone warned you that you were, indeed, on the road to Hell.
If getting of topic is a mortal sin I’d better run to confession :yup: .
Noone warned me because other than a tiny fraction of the public, by definition, is all on the same road. When I take what I hear here literally, the numbers become startling, Heaven will be a very empty place.

I do not come from a religious environment. No (or very few) religious friends, family is pretty much cradle cafeteria Catholics, 90+% of collegues are not religious at all beyond maybe a thought or two at Christmas and Easter. I think in this respect I am outside the demographic of the people that frequent these forums (i’ve come to learn).

Based on your quote above, and combined with Jesus’s telling us we are not to worry and not to be anxious etc. (I believe he stated this somehow, I don’t know where to find it in the Bible, again, I am a new revert). How am I to reconcile the idea that virtually everyone I know, and especially those of whom I love with all my heart are, as you put it: “on the road to Hell”? Evangelizing aside. I say “Evangelizing aside” because I am doing that with my immediate family and have to weigh evangelizing too loudly as to lose them with not evangelizing loud enough and not being heard.

🙂 Laws, rules and legalism doesn’t wash with God - God is Love.
As St. Augustine said “Love and do what you will”. St. Augustine is not recommending licentiousness, because being a lover of God he understands something very powerful about love. So I would say Javelin - strive to Love God in all things and then do what you will!
With a smile and a wink and eyes on God;)

I think that it’s been said several times that if you are in a location where Mass is not available–climbing a mountaing, at sea, etc,–there is no obligation. And you say that several priests have told you this, so what are you worried about?

But you seemed for awhile to be arguing against the very idea of a Sunday Mass obligation. In the normal course of events, it* is * a serious matter to attend Mass on the Lord’s Day.

Now you mention many friends who may not be religious. The Sunday Mass obligation is intended for Catholics, first of all. And even for Catholics, lack of catechesis, lack of knowledge, lack of the intention of contempt for the Sabbath, are all mitigating factors. No one is in a position to judge the conscience of another except his confessor. But Catholics who know better should evangelize at least by their example.

40.png
JimG:
I think that it’s been said several times that if you are in a location where Mass is not available–climbing a mountaing, at sea, etc,–there is no obligation. And you say that several priests have told you this, so what are you worried about?

But you seemed for awhile to be arguing against the very idea of a Sunday Mass obligation. In the normal course of events, it* is *a serious matter to attend Mass on the Lord’s Day.

Now you mention many friends who may not be religious. The Sunday Mass obligation is intended for Catholics, first of all. And even for Catholics, lack of catechesis, lack of knowledge, lack of the intention of contempt for the Sabbath, are all mitigating factors. No one is in a position to judge the conscience of another except his confessor. But Catholics who know better should evangelize at least by their example.
JimG, Maybe I wasn’t clear. I think Sunday Mass obligation important, and should be cherished.

As far as for the friends, I appreaciate your answer and feel likewise.

Thanks,
–Mike

40.png
JimG:
If you’re mountain climbing and there is no Mass available, there is no obligation. But sleep-in laziness is not an excuse!

The lengths to which the Jewish people went to keep the Sabbath holy, we might consider extreme. All that’s asked of us is one hour on a Saturday evening or Sunday morning.
Yes, but is scheduling such trips a sin in and of itself since you know already that it would prevent you from attending mass. One didn’t just ‘find themselves’ in the middle of nowhere…they actually planned it that way…Are you obliged to schedule any fishing/mountain/ocean trips between Mon-Saturday?

40.png
YinYangMom:
Yes, but is scheduling such trips a sin in and of itself since you know already that it would prevent you from attending mass. One didn’t just ‘find themselves’ in the middle of nowhere…they actually planned it that way…Are you obliged to schedule any fishing/mountain/ocean trips between Mon-Saturday?
YingYangMom, Our wonderful society has structed a M-F 9-5 world. It’s impossible for most of us to schedule things that last more then a few hours during the work week.

40.png
YinYangMom:
No, you’re not – We’re talking about the occasional weekend, here. And if one is out in the middle of the Ocean, one might go through the Mass up through the liturgy of the Word, and then make a spiritual Communion . . .

40.png
mercygate:
No, you’re not – We’re talking about the occasional weekend, here. And if one is out in the middle of the Ocean, one might go through the Mass up through the liturgy of the Word, and then make a spiritual Communion . . .
I agree. There’s no sin involved in scheduling such a trip.

40.png
mercygate:
Or invite your priest to go fishing with you and offer Mass on the boat! 😉

Betsy

Hey Javelin,

I’d ask the AAA forum. This should be a fairly easy answer for them.

My best guess would be that if you know what the Church teaches on Faith and Morals and you decide that you don’t buy it the sin might be even more than just the particular one you are talking about. One might have just crossed over into some heresy or schism where they’ve set themself up as a higher authority than the Magisterium of the Church. It would seem that a person in question would probably have committed a mortal sin.

It is a bit more complicated than “just not buying it”, though. Practical experience makes this a very difficult teaching to take.

For instance, if it simply a matter of saying “If you hear what the Church teaches and reject it, you are in mortal sin”, then virtually every protestant and ALL Catholics who have fallen into protestantism are damned unless they have sacramental confession or a perfect act of contrition prior to death. That’s pretty heavy, and extremely broad.

Practical experience says there are many protestants with tremendous faith in God who are living that faith such that there is little doubt they will ultimately be with Christ (after the purgatory they deny exists). Yet those same people may be using ABC and have caused an abortion – intrinsically evil, mortally sinful actions (I’m not sure that using ABC in and of itself is mortally sinful, but abortion is).

I tend to think it is much more difficult to commit mortal sin than some seem to make it. It seems that a direct act of willful, knowledgeable denial of God is what it would take for mortal sin, and nearly all Christians striving to love God would never do that. If they truly understood the choices before them, they would choose God.

I’m not trying to self-justify, just better understand the line between God’s Love and His Justice.

Peace,
javelin

I think the best rule of thumb is to keep the toe away from the line! I see so many people wondering how far they can go before they sin, commit and mortal sin vs. venial, etc. It’s almost like a game of Russian Roulette!

I think it really depends on whether you KNOW in your heart that it is mortally sinful, yet choose to ignore it, or if you genuinely do not know that what you are doing is mortally sinful. I mean, I know that stealing is mortally sinful, yet I could still go out and steal and ignore the fact that it is mortally sinful. On the other hand, if I actually did not know that it was mortally sinful, that would be another story…

Dear javelin,

It’s nice to run across you again! Here is a caution for those who have seen a lot of my other posts: be careful not to croak when you hear my opinion on this.
40.png
DianJo:
You have been told, explicitly, I might add, that missing Mass is a mortal sin. It does not matter “what you think” about it. That does not change anything.

Therefore, it is a mortal sin for you to miss Mass for no good reason - no matter what you think - Period! Sorry!
DianJo makes it sound simple, and her post is one that I might have scolded a few weeks ago. Today I’ve come to a realization about those who really believe the Church is the infallible teacher of faith and morals. Therefore I’m inclined to agree with her if your beliefs are on that basis, and she has put it right there with no more or less complexity than a “believer” with normal intellect needs to hear.

What is “moral?” What Jesus thought was moral? Are we limited in our moral understanding to only those precise things Jesus taught, or those directly applicable? If not, what or whose standard of “morality” shall we then use? If we agree we will use the Church as infallible teacher of faith and morals then she is the standard, not Christ in a direct way as in “we have a personal relationship” or something like that.

I may think that the whole concept of categorizing sins into mortal and venial is silly and legalistic.
I may think that telling a person they are going to go to hell because they miss Mass on Sunday is counterproductive and/or displeasing to God.
I may think that a person who normally goes three times per week can skip an occasional Sunday and be OK.

None of those change what the Church says. Rules are rules. We play by the rules or we don’t. Personally, I don’t always believe in the rules but I play by them at least to the degree that I am going to get caught or that I might cause others to “sin” based on their weakness. Like Paul, I tend to think that all things are permissible if I have a good conscience about it. That doesn’t make me a good Catholic according to some definitions, but nevertheless I am still Catholic and in good standing as far as anybody is concerned.

Oh, and before anybody questions me, I don’t know how many years it’s been since I missed Mass on Sunday. Normally I go to two Masses at two different churches because I play organ at both (one Saturday 4 pm and one Sunday 8 am), but I honestly can’t remember missing Sunday Mass the past 20 years or so, even when out of town.

Still when it boils down to it, if you wanna claim you’re a Catholic, then you should accept that missing Mass is a mortal sin whether or not you personally agree that the Church should have declared it so.

Alan

40.png
JimG:
I think that it’s been said several times that if you are in a location where Mass is not available
Someone I know is Catholic and an avid hunter. When he will be taking a hunting trip over Sat/Sun, he speaks to his Priest before the trip, each time. Father releases him from his obilgation for that week.

whoever said you have to understand why the Church teaches some particular thing? the condition is that you must “know” that it is sinful, that is to say that the Church clearly teaches it is sinful, as long as you know this you cannot hide behind invincible ignorance, that would be deliberate ignorance!

Someone may choose to disagree with the Church that it is ok to murder other folks, would you then argue that it would not be a mortal sin for that person to kill somebody because afterall, he didn’t believe it was sinful?

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
Dear javelin,

It’s nice to run across you again! Here is a caution for those who have seen a lot of my other posts: be careful not to croak when you hear my opinion on this.

DianJo makes it sound simple, and her post is one that I might have scolded a few weeks ago. Today I’ve come to a realization about those who really believe the Church is the infallible teacher of faith and morals. Therefore I’m inclined to agree with her if your beliefs are on that basis, and she has put it right there with no more or less complexity than a “believer” with normal intellect needs to hear.

What is “moral?” What Jesus thought was moral? Are we limited in our moral understanding to only those precise things Jesus taught, or those directly applicable? If not, what or whose standard of “morality” shall we then use? If we agree we will use the Church as infallible teacher of faith and morals then she is the standard, not Christ in a direct way as in “we have a personal relationship” or something like that.

I may think that the whole concept of categorizing sins into mortal and venial is silly and legalistic.
I may think that telling a person they are going to go to hell because they miss Mass on Sunday is counterproductive and/or displeasing to God.
I may think that a person who normally goes three times per week can skip an occasional Sunday and be OK.

None of those change what the Church says. Rules are rules. We play by the rules or we don’t. Personally, I don’t always believe in the rules but I play by them at least to the degree that I am going to get caught or that I might cause others to “sin” based on their weakness. Like Paul, I tend to think that all things are permissible if I have a good conscience about it. That doesn’t make me a good Catholic according to some definitions, but nevertheless I am still Catholic and in good standing as far as anybody is concerned.

Oh, and before anybody questions me, I don’t know how many years it’s been since I missed Mass on Sunday. Normally I go to two Masses at two different churches because I play organ at both (one Saturday 4 pm and one Sunday 8 am), but I honestly can’t remember missing Sunday Mass the past 20 years or so, even when out of town.

Still when it boils down to it, if you wanna claim you’re a Catholic, then you should accept that missing Mass is a mortal sin whether or not you personally agree that the Church should have declared it so.

Alan
Hey Alan,

I think you’re getting this more than you think and I think that it’ll snowball into a more fuller understanding sooner than you think too. 👍

javelin said:
Here’s a question that I haven’t heard a good answer to yet:

If mortal sin requires full knowledge of the gravity and mortality of the sin, then is something a mortal sin if I don’t honestly believe it is a mortal sin?

Take missing Mass for instance.

If I don’t really believe that missing one Mass is a mortal sin, isn’t it true that I don’t understand the gravity and mortality of the sin, which is a requisite for it being mortal in the first place? A self-fulfilling prophesy?

What do you think?
I think it would all depend if you honestly believed something is not a sin out of ignorance, that is lack of knowledge or if you believed something is not a sin as a result of other sins: this condition is known as the hardening of the heart. A sinful life chips away from our knowledge of God and our knowledge of the self. One of its consequences is not recognizing when we sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back