Is it sinful to affirm and aggrandize oneself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
Thoughts?
Here is my own, non-priestly take on it: Self-affirmation = not sinful. Self-aggrandizement = sinful.

I would argue that you cross the line when you start to think and act in a way that puts yourself and your pride above God.
You sum up the whole matter entirely.
Most people I meet in real life do not go around “tooting their own horn” unless it is some kind of hype or promotion expected as part of their job. Nobody wants or expects to see a sports team or a salesman making a pitch being all self-effacing; we expect to see them at their pep rally, pregame, or sales pitch saying, “We’re Number 1! We’re gonna win on Sunday!” or “We’re the best at what we do, so hire us!” These people are well aware that they could lose the game or that the customer might hire the competition instead. Pumping themselves up is part of how they do their job and stay resilient in the face of bad days.
I think our entire society, and people of faith, all understand business-related or sports-related assertions of excellence, superiority, or inevitable success, as “part of the game”.
Regarding people’s actual personal sentiments, not the hype as part of their job, I agree with blackforest that the line is crossed when a person actually thinks they accomplish everything on their own and don’t need God.
I couldn’t agree more.

Last edited:
A funny story from my distant past:

About 15 or 20 years ago, a person I didn’t know/ had never met joined a group I socialized with online. This person was always joking with others about what an “achiever” they were. After a couple years, the group held a meetup to which 100+ people came, and this person showed up wearing a shirt that said “Achiever” on it. This made me think, “Wow, they must really be full of themself” and kind of avoid them, which wasn’t hard to do given the huge number of people there and the fact that I probably interacted with each one for about 5 minutes tops.

After a couple more years and some more meetups had passed, I realized that the “Achiever” business was actually a joke from “The Big Lebowski”. The person was from the town that invented Lebowskifest. The Lebowski fans call themselves “Achievers”. I’d never seen the film, since I’m not a big fan of Coen Brothers, and I had no idea. The person turned out to be very down to earth and very nice. We ended up having a good laugh over my misinterpretation of that shirt.

There’s nothing wrong with acknowledging your good qualities and your achievements, nor with reminding yourself of them. For some people such exercises can actually be a healthy way to counteract imposter-syndrome or generally low self-esteem.

The key is to be honest with yourself about yourself. To be sure, you shouldn’t rate yourself too high, but you shouldn’t rate yourself too low either.

A funny story from my distant past:

About 15 or 20 years ago, a person I didn’t know/ had never met joined a group I socialized with online. This person was always joking with others about what an “achiever” they were. After a couple years, the group held a meetup to which 100+ people came, and this person showed up wearing a shirt that said “Achiever” on it. This made me think, “Wow, they must really be full of themself” and kind of avoid them, which wasn’t hard to do given the huge number of people there and the fact that I probably interacted with each one for about 5 minutes tops.

After a couple more years and some more meetups had passed, I realized that the “Achiever” business was actually a joke from “The Big Lebowski”. The person was from the town that invented Lebowskifest. The Lebowski fans call themselves “Achievers”. I’d never seen the film, since I’m not a big fan of Coen Brothers, and I had no idea. The person turned out to be very down to earth and very nice. We ended up having a good laugh over my misinterpretation of that shirt.
If I had to guess, I would say that this comes from the Lebowski character played by Jeff Bridges, being the ultimate slacker and “anti-achiever”, living in a shabby bungalow and having a life that revolved around drinking White Russians. Very funny movie, but not exactly family-friendly. I did enjoy it.

A good healthy self-respect honors God in that we value His creation that is us.

Arrogance and elitist notions of superiority is quite another matter. That is conceit, and causes one to look down on others whom one judges as “inferior”. We really aren’t in any position to make that kind of judgment, and it leads to snobbishness, contemptuous attitudes, exclusionary behavior and discrimination.

It’s fine to value oneself, as long as our valuation is realistic. Humility is actually honest realism, and in that can be found the appropriate modesty.

A good healthy self-respect honors God in that we value His creation that is us.

Arrogance and elitist notions of superiority is quite another matter. That is conceit, and causes one to look down on others whom one judges as “inferior”. We really aren’t in any position to make that kind of judgment, and it leads to snobbishness, contemptuous attitudes, exclusionary behavior and discrimination.

It’s fine to value oneself, as long as our valuation is realistic. Humility is actually honest realism, and in that can be found the appropriate modesty.
Well put.

“Conceit” — that was the word I was looking for. I have just entered my seventh decade of ex utero life, and perhaps the words aren’t coming as readily as I would like anymore.

I find that it is most helpful, to reflect on the good gifts God has given me, and to realize that I would be nothing without Him. Anything that is good about us, is His to give, and His to take away.

I’ve just entered my seventh decade, too. Still can’t quite believe it! Neither can those who know me.

Stay healthy, and all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back