Is it sinful to work on a Sunday?

• Thread starter Thread starter edjlopez23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edjlopez23

I didn’t take a job because they may require me to work on Sundays? If your employer wants you to work on Sunday is it a grave sin to do so?

Last edited:
Do you think the doctors, nurses, health professionals, rescue workers, those who keep our water and electricity going are committing a sin by doing their job on a Sunday?
Those are necessary work. I’m talking about regular jobs like in a warehouse.

Last edited:
If your employment requires you to work on Sunday, it may not be a sin. You need to speak with your pastor.

There are Masses generally available on Saturday evening, Sunday Evening, and in some areas, early on Sunday morning. Many if not most people who have a job requiring work on Sunday can still get to Mass.

The Catholic Catechism states:

A day of grace and rest from work

Just as God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,"121human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.122

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.124

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

2188 In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church’s holy days as legal holidays. They have to give everyone a public example of prayer, respect, and joy and defend their traditions as a precious contribution to the spiritual life of society. If a country’s legislation or other reasons require work on Sunday, the day should nevertheless be lived as the day of our deliverance which lets us share in this “festal gathering,” this “assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven.”

If your job is very necessary for society then you can work on Sundays. Something like working in a warehouse could be a stretch to say it’s necessary. If the job isn’t desperately needed or if there are other jobs available not requiring Sunday work then I wouldn’t take it.

So sending materials to those activities that must continue working even during Sunday would constitute sin?
No it does not. But as others have rightfully pointed out speak with your pastor.
Peace!

Michelle Arnold, a staff apologist at Catholic Answers addresses this question in her article here: Keeping Holy the Lord’s Day | Catholic Answers

Jim Blackburn, also an apologist at Catholic Answers, also answers this question here:

Peggy Frye, also an apologist at Catholic Answers, includes a quote from the New Commentary on the Code of Canon Law in her answer:
40.png
Is my Sunday job considered servile work? Ask an Apologist
I have searched and am still confused regarding resting on Sundays. On one hand the catechism says “no servile work”. On the other I read that you can offer servile work up to God and that would be acceptable. On one hand one can work on Sunday’s if there is a social need. On the other hand I read that you can do non-servile work on Sunday’s as long as you keep the Lord’s day holy by going to church. A Jesuit priest explained that the commandment was intended to prevent masters from working…

Last edited:
My job used to at least give us Sundays off during the summer. Then someone on our board decided we should be open on Sundays all summer as well. That board member is a Notre Dame grad.
Thanks a lot!

This is the answer moral theologian, Germain Grisez gives (LIVING A CHRISTIAN LIFE : Charity, the Eucharist, and Church Membership). His work has the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur:

Unnecessary business or work on sacred days is to be avoided. On Sundays and holy days, Christians should neither personally do nor require or encourage others to do any unnecessary business or work not in keeping with the character of the sacred day. The word unnecessary points to the fact that the duty is limited by other responsibilities. Business or work done for one’s own true good or that of others is therefore permissible if it cannot be done some other time. For example, some people must work on Sunday so that others can engage in appropriate recreational activities.

Of course, any activity even venially sinful in itself can never be necessary and so will always profane a sacred day. There is, however, no simple way to say which kinds of business and work, sinless in themselves, are excluded. Each Christian has a responsibility (which probably few take seriously enough) to think carefully about this matter and make honest judgments. Those who are conscientious can occasionally soften the impact of their own judgments by seeking a dispensation from the obligation.

Considered in itself, violating this responsibility is a grave matter. Sundays and holy days of obligation are set apart to worship God and anticipate eternal rest. Deliberately doing business and work at odds with this purpose profanes this sacred time; it shows how little one loves God and cares about communion with him. Still, the matter of this sin is subject to parvity, and each person also must judge whether a particular violation would be a mortal or a venial sin. Parvity must not be pushed too far, however; there are outer limits. For example, it plainly would be grave matter to spend all day Sunday doing burdensome work which could as well be done some other day.

Bosses are the ones to blame here. Workers don’t have any say in this typically. In reference to working Sundays, our boss has said things like “it’s not the 1950s anymore”. Of course she works M-F.

Fr Flader also has some good advice (What should we avoid on the day of rest? | The Catholic Weekly):

The Catechism of the Catholic Church gives the general criterion for how we are to live the obligation of Sunday rest: “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health (CCC 2185).”

As the Catechism says, family needs can require doing some work on Sundays. Meals need to be prepared and the house tidied up, nappies need to be changed, etc.

Nonetheless, one should avoid doing jobs which take greater amounts of time and which could be done on other days, like the laundry, shopping, painting the house, gardening, etc.

For some people Sunday is the only day on which they can do some of these tasks, and so, of course, they may do them.

As regards public activities, the Catechism goes on to say: “Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc) and social necessities (public services, etc), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure (CCC 2187).”

It is obvious that hotels, restaurants, places of amusement and recreation, sporting events, etc, require staff to work on Sundays, as do social services such as police, ambulance services, fire departments, hospitals, aged care facilities, etc.

Catholics, if rostered on, may thus do these jobs even on Sundays but they should try not to make it a regular, or especially a weekly occurrence.

And, of course, they should attend Mass at some time on Saturday evening or Sunday.

It is important too to observe what the Catechism also teaches: “Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day” (CCC 2187).

This refers to employers, who should make up their rosters so as to allow their employees to be able to rest at least on some Sundays each month. It can also refer to individuals, who should not require tradesmen and others to do jobs for them on Sundays. Even if the tradesmen want to work on a Sunday, it is good at least to suggest that they rather spend the day with their family.

We are all aware how, over the years, more and more businesses and shops are open on Sundays and Our Lord is increasingly pushed out of his day.

It is up to us to resist this growing secularisation and to defend our time for rest and the worship of God.

Those are necessary work. I’m talking about regular jobs like in a warehouse.
Do you think ‘regular jobs’ are never necessary work? Because it depends on circumstances but (for example) sometimes warehouse jobs are the only way food gets shipped to its destination.
Store clerks have ‘regular jobs’ but without them how do people buy food?

Somehow pre-1980s people managed to get food without workers being in warehouses seven days a week, I bet.
It’s businesses having a “just in time” philosophy that causes the 24/7 work ethos.
https://www.circadian.com/247-industries/other-transportation/logistics-a-warehousing.html
Not necessarily in all cases, and in any case there are other ‘necessary’ jobs.
‘Just in time’ may contribute to the problem but there were Sunday workers before that.
It’s simply true that some work has to be done on Sunday, and if the only job someone can get requires Sunday work then the worker is not guilty for that fact.

Last edited:
Somehow pre-1980s people managed to get food without workers being in warehouses seven days a week, I bet.
Most managed to get some food, and made do with either what was in season locally or had been preserved in some way. But the person who could eat a banana that had been picked 10,000 miles away and was still eatable was vanishingly rare. And the person who could order a case of potato chips (or necessary medication for that matter) made that day in a factory in California to be delivered to their house in New Jersey two days later did not exist.

Really? You think people weren’t eating bananas before “just in time” warehousing / supply chain? Google “vintage banana ads” and see what you get.
I’ll agree that foods move faster and more effectively but it’s not like we didn’t have a functional grocery supply chain before the 1990s.

You think people weren’t eating bananas before “just in time” warehousing / supply chain?
That’s not what I said. The fact is that the bananas that were being eaten outside the area where they were grown did not travel 10,000 miles because transit was too slow then. Nor did I say that the supply chain was not functional, just much less fast and efficient.

40.png
27lw:
Most managed to get some food, and made do with either what was in season locally or had been preserved in some way. But the person who could eat a banana that had been picked 10,000 miles away and was still eatable was vanishingly rare. And the person who could order a case of potato chips (or necessary medication for that matter) made that day in a factory in California to be delivered to their house in New Jersey two days later did not exist.
I’m sorry – just not sure what you’re talking about here. Vanishingly rare people eating bananas that were picked 10,000 miles away? I’m pretty sure people were able to get eatable bananas all over the country before the 1980s / 1990s. And they were eatable. And people ate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back