Is it wrong to enjoy the villains?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TeraMitchel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TeraMitchel

Guest
Another dumb question from me, I expect. Is there anything wrong with enjoying the villains are characters from books and movies and such? a lot of times my favorite characters are the bad guys, the antoagonists, especially if there’s a lot of fun psychology behind why they are the way they are, or a history of abuse, or something psychological, instead of just “they’re evil”. If they’re really well written, I often feel as sorry for them, and what they’ve gone through, as I do the hero,but is that wrong since they’re not the good guys?.I don’t think they crimes they commit, the theft, murder, etc, are ok, but they’re still the ones I enjoy most to watch, to delve into to theorize about, to write.
 
I think it would depend on what you are reading and what your definition of a villain is. For example there are many people who enjoy being civil war reanactors and portray the confederate side. This doesn’t mean they support slavery or anything wrong, they just like that side and for them its fun. I myself am a Darth Vader fan from Star Wars, but i don’t try to act evil or emulate darth vader in my life. So I don’t think its wrong as long as you don’t try to act like them.
 
I think it would depend on what you are reading and what your definition of a villain is. For example there are many people who enjoy being civil war reanactors and portray the confederate side. This doesn’t mean they support slavery or anything wrong, they just like that side and for them its fun. I myself am a Darth Vader fan from Star Wars, but i don’t try to act evil or emulate darth vader in my life. So I don’t think its wrong as long as you don’t try to act like them.
…Well I definitely don’t want to go do anything like that, of course not XD

What I read tends to be fantasy, sometimes ghost-horror, thrillers, and tragedy/dramas. My favorite villain, for example, is a killer, who for most of the series has no regard for human life, and is quite despicable, till later you see that it mostly stems from his hatred of himself, the abuse he suffered from his father, some brainwashing, emotional weakness, and simply being kinda stupid.
 
Another dumb question from me, I expect. Is there anything wrong with enjoying the villains are characters from books and movies and such? a lot of times my favorite characters are the bad guys, the antoagonists, especially if there’s a lot of fun psychology behind why they are the way they are, or a history of abuse, or something psychological, instead of just “they’re evil”. If they’re really well written, I often feel as sorry for them, and what they’ve gone through, as I do the hero,but is that wrong since they’re not the good guys?.I don’t think they crimes they commit, the theft, murder, etc, are ok, but they’re still the ones I enjoy most to watch, to delve into to theorize about, to write.
I guess I’m still very confused as to what you’re asking. You say you do not like the villains for the crimes they commit but rather you like them because you find the things which have influenced their decisions as being interesting?
 
I guess I’m still very confused as to what you’re asking. You say you do not like the villains for the crimes they commit but rather you like them because you find the things which have influenced their decisions as being interesting?
…no. I like them because THEy are interesting, and part of that interest is wondering what sort of things would have to happen to someone to make them turn out that way. and I’m not saying I only like villains or anything, just sometimes. Some are really flat and boring, just like some heros can be.
 
…no. I like them because THEy are interesting, and part of that interest is wondering what sort of things would have to happen to someone to make them turn out that way. and I’m not saying I only like villains or anything, just sometimes. Some are really flat and boring, just like some heros can be.
So you enjoy villains who do horrible things because you enjoy theorizing about what could bring someone to the point of committing mass murder, etc., etc…?
 
So you enjoy villains who do horrible things because you enjoy theorizing about what could bring someone to the point of committing mass murder, etc., etc…?
…I don’t get what you’re not understanding,but you’re sounding suspiciously close to putting words in my mouth.
 
Long John Silver, Han Solo, Captian Ahab, and Moby Dick can all be cansidered villains in some ways. 😃 At least two books have been written about Silver.
 
…I don’t get what you’re not understanding,but you’re sounding suspiciously close to putting words in my mouth.
Well I’m trying to understand what you mean by “enjoying the villians”. I’m not trying to attack you but rather understand why you say enjoy villians. I mean if you don’t enjoy them because of the things they do or the past experiences they have endured then you don’t really enjoy the villian but rather you enjoy theorizing as to how these people reached their villainous state of mind.
 
Well I’m trying to understand what you mean by “enjoying the villians”. I’m not trying to attack you but rather understand why you say enjoy villians. I mean if you don’t enjoy them because of the things they do or the past experiences they have endured then you don’t really enjoy the villian but rather you enjoy theorizing as to how these people reached their villainous state of mind.
Well,in some cases that’s part of it. It depends on the story. Sometimes that’s all of it, like with say, Silence of the Lambs. But in other cases, I find a villain to be as tragic and sympathetic as the hero. Afterall, a well written character isn’t going to be comprised only of what makes them evil, but if they’re the villain, it’s a big part of it. Some of my favorite villains are the bad guys, some of whom are redeamed, some of whom aren’t. I just think a lot of times, they’re sad, and have a good story 😊
 
Similarly, I really liked The Joker in that Batman film a few years ago, played by Heath Ledger. I think The Joker was my favorite character in that film, and it’s one of my favorite films. I also really liked Tyler Durdon from Fight Club, another of my favorite films. Something about these people draws me to them.
 
Similarly, I really liked The Joker in that Batman film a few years ago, played by Heath Ledger. I think The Joker was my favorite character in that film, and it’s one of my favorite films. I also really liked Tyler Durdon from Fight Club, another of my favorite films. Something about these people draws me to them.
Oh, the joker was one of the few villaisn who truly frightened me. And since movies are about my only exposure to Batman, I do indeed wonder how he got those scars.
 
Another dumb question from me, I expect. Is there anything wrong with enjoying the villains are characters from books and movies and such? a lot of times my favorite characters are the bad guys, the antoagonists, especially if there’s a lot of fun psychology behind why they are the way they are, or a history of abuse, or something psychological, instead of just “they’re evil”. If they’re really well written, I often feel as sorry for them, and what they’ve gone through, as I do the hero,but is that wrong since they’re not the good guys?.I don’t think they crimes they commit, the theft, murder, etc, are ok, but they’re still the ones I enjoy most to watch, to delve into to theorize about, to write.
My (non-Catholic) opinion:

I don’t know if there’s anything inherently wrong with liking a villain or understanding why they do the things that they do. Villains can be well-rounded characters too, and I think many books and films wouldn’t be as interesting if their villains were always like “Muahahahahaha!” and twirling their mustaches (if they have mustaches). In real life, monsters don’t behave like cartoon villains (even Hitler had kids, owned a dog, and took them on picnics) why should fictional villains not be interesting? As long as you can separate fantasy from reality (and I think the vast majority of people don’t want to imitate fictional villains) you should be fine.

Besides, sometimes even the “good guys” do bad things, just like in real life.
 
My (non-Catholic) opinion:

I don’t know if there’s anything inherently wrong with liking a villain or understanding why they do the things that they do. Villains can be well-rounded characters too, and I think many books and films wouldn’t be as interesting if their villains were always like “Muahahahahaha!” and twirling their mustaches (if they have mustaches). In real life, monsters don’t behave like cartoon villains (even Hitler had kids, owned a dog, and took them on picnics) why should fictional villains not be interesting? As long as you can separate fantasy from reality (and I think the vast majority of people don’t want to imitate fictional villains) you should be fine.

Besides, sometimes even the “good guys” do bad things, just like in real life.
this seems to be pretty much what I was thinking about it. but never hurts to ask some opinions.
 
Thinking back about The Joker (Heath Ledger) and Tyler Durdon, I realize why I liked them so much.

Spoiler alert!

They are in control of the situation. They’re the underdogs, facing much bigger foes, but they aren’t afraid, they don’t panic. They just stay cool and somehow win.

When the Joker walked into the room with the mobsters, he didn’t get anxious, he was really in control of the situation, and showed that lacky who’s boss with that pencil.

When the bar owner came downstairs and tried to put and end to the fight club, Tyler pretended to be losing the fight with him, but clearly won by sheer force of will and indifference to pain.

When the Joker was being interrogated by Batman or locked up in the jail, he wasn’t nervous or afraid, he was in control the whole time.

When Tyler’s boss was coming up to him with sheets that would have incriminated him, he gave a chilling monologue that scared the boss right out of the room!

When Tyler’s boss was about to fire him, Tyler beat the **** out of himself, showing the boss who’s really the boss.

I like these villains because they’re in control, they’re not anxious, they’re not panicked, they’re not afraid, they know what’s going on and they know they’re going to win.

That’s probably why I used to like Jesus so much. But it’s more obvious in these movies, it’s very subtle with Jesus.
 
Thinking back about The Joker (Heath Ledger) and Tyler Durdon, I realize why I liked them so much.

Spoiler alert!

They are in control of the situation. They’re the underdogs, facing much bigger foes, but they aren’t afraid, they don’t panic. They just stay cool and somehow win.

When the Joker walked into the room with the mobsters, he didn’t get anxious, he was really in control of the situation, and showed that lacky who’s boss with that pencil.

When the bar owner came downstairs and tried to put and end to the fight club, Tyler pretended to be losing the fight with him, but clearly won by sheer force of will and indifference to pain.

When the Joker was being interrogated by Batman or locked up in the jail, he wasn’t nervous or afraid, he was in control the whole time.

When Tyler’s boss was coming up to him with sheets that would have incriminated him, he gave a chilling monologue that scared the boss right out of the room!

When Tyler’s boss was about to fire him, Tyler beat the **** out of himself, showing the boss who’s really the boss.

I like these villains because they’re in control, they’re not anxious, they’re not panicked, they’re not afraid, they know what’s going on and they know they’re going to win.

That’s probably why I used to like Jesus so much. But it’s more obvious in these movies, it’s very subtle with Jesus.
…your last line confuses me a wee bit…
 
Jesus was actually in control the whole time. Jesus is the One with all the power and glory, even though nobody knew it at the time. Jesus is the true Underdog. Jesus not only walked into a situation where he would be overpowered and somehow won, but He walked into the worst possible situation ever, namely death, and still came out the victor!
 
…your last line confuses me a wee bit…
Not to put words in the OP’s mouth, but it sounds to me like they are saying that they like characters who at first glance appear to be the underdog, but in reality are in control of the situation. In a sense, this also describes Jesus, because he was the second person of the Trinity, and yet he became an apparently simple human being who became a carpenter, preached for three years, and was executed, but in fact, triumphed over even death itself.

I think that’s what he meant by that being why he likes Jesus.
 
Jesus was actually in control the whole time. Jesus is the One with all the power and glory, even though nobody knew it at the time. Jesus is the true Underdog. Jesus not only walked into a situation where he would be overpowered and somehow won, but He walked into the worst possible situation ever, namely death, and still came out the victor!
Ah! It was the “why i use to like Jesus” line that made me kinda…wonder, you know? XD
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top