I feel guilty even writing this question.
I know and understand the history and tradition of it, but I just cdon’t particularly like listening to it. and each song all sounds the same but maybe that’s the point.
but the way most catholics I know go on about it, it makes me feel like I’m bad for not liking it since it is considered the truest form of authentic catholic music
am I alone on this one?
Well, no
Did you know that Sister Claire asked the Franciscan brothers and sisters to refrain from adopting Gregorian Chant? This is - as far as I have learned - because not all of the brothers and sisters were able to chant, and this in other communities often created true division and even emargination. In fact, it used to be that the lack of ability to chant was seen as a sign that one did not possess a vocation to certain monastic orders…!
I am madly in love with Gregorian Chant. But I can perfectly understand that someone may not like it. It’s fine. You are not “less Catholic” because of it.
When we get to heaven and we hear choirs of angels and saints, we will realize that no voice, no chant, no praise on earth resembles even closely their hymns. So while we are down here, the best we can do is find a reverent way to express our love in chants and hymns, and if no way moves our heart, then let us offer the Lord our silent contemplation

Silence is a wonderful melody, too.
Now maybe you’ve never practiced chanting, or are not particularly fond of Latin and its metric?

If you get more into it, you may enjoy it. Rather than trying Latin Gregorian chant, try plainchant in vernacular (meaning - the local language)…simple and beautiful

There’s a nice tutorial by a Norbertine hermit, Fr. David Jones (see
here) and a
website of lay missionaries who travel teaching to pray the Liturgy of the Hours in plainchant.