E
ethereality
Guest
Is it wrong to pray for death? Why or why not?
.Is it wrong to pray for death? Why or why not?
While it is understandable that people who are suffering and in pain, physically and/or psychologically, might pray for death, I still think it is wrong since it is a rejection of G-d’s gift of life. However, I also believe that G-d understands and forgives us for such thoughts, feelings, and prayers.Is it wrong to pray for death? Why or why not?
I would say yes it is wrong to pray for death because we would be throwing back in God’s face a gift he gave us.Is it wrong to pray for death? Why or why not?
I wonder if, perhaps, St. Rita was praying that her sons might experience eternal life? If she was asking Our Lord to take her sons home before they acted on an impulse to commit a mortal sin?St. Rita of Cascia asked God to take her sons rather than let them commit murder in retaliation for the murder of their own father.
We know this is your favourite subject because in several threads you said you want to die but please refer to the Church teachings. The Church does NOT teach you its right to want to die.A prayer suggesting that praying for death is not wrong:
*The Golden Key to Heaven
by Saint Anthony Mary Claret
The death of the just: Death will reach everyone, the good and the bad; but the destiny of each one is quite different. The just man sees himself in this valley of tears as a prisoner, serving a very hard term. He considers himself a slave in this world, suffering an extremely distressing servitude. He regards himself a sailor caught in a horrible storm. And as death means an end of his confinement, an end of his slavery, and is the port of his salvation, he ceases not to cry with David, “Woe is me that my sojourning is prolonged!. . .” (Ps. 119:5). He ceases not to ask with the Apostle, “. . . Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” (Rom. 7:24)*
Johna and Elijah also prayed for death:
*Jonah
Jonah 4:3 And now, O Lord, I beseech thee take my life from me: for it is better for me to die than to live.
Elijah
1st Kings 19:[3] Then he was afraid, and he arose and went for his life, and came to Beer-sheba, which belongs to Judah, and left his servant there. [4] But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a broom tree; and he asked that he might die, saying, “It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am no better than my fathers.” [5] And he lay down and slept under a broom tree; and behold, an angel touched him, and said to him, “Arise and eat.” [6] And he looked, and behold, there was at his head a cake baked on hot stones and a jar of water. And he ate and drank, and lay down again. [7] And the angel of the LORD came again a second time, and touched him, and said, “Arise and eat, else the journey will be too great for you.” [8] And he arose, and ate and drank, and went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights to Horeb the mount of God. [9] And there he came to a cave, and lodged there; and behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said to him, “What are you doing here, Eli’jah?” [10] He said, “I have been very jealous for the LORD, the God of hosts; for the people of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thy altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.”
*
I’m not denying CCC 2288!!!We know this is your favourite subject because in several threads you said you want to die but please refer to the Church teachings. The Church does NOT teach you its right to want to die.
CCC 2288 Life and physical health are precious gifts entrusted to us by God. We must take reasonable care of them, taking into account the needs of others and the common good.
Your quotes are not teachings. The Church teaches.I’m not denying CCC 2288!!!
How can you ignore the teaching St Anthony Mary Claret and the biblical quotes I provided.
Tunnel vision is a dangerous thing.
Thanks for your reply! What Church teaching am I violating? I agree totally with CCC 2288.Your quotes are not teachings. The Church teaches.
The Church teaching trumps what any saint has said as an individual.
St Thomas Aquinas did not believe in the Immaculate Conception.
The Church made the Immaculate Conception dogma. Who is right? Aquinas or the Church??
You are giving various quotes (not Church teachings) to imply that it is okay to want to die despite what the Church teaches.Thanks for your reply! What Church teaching am I violating? I agree totally with CCC 2288.
I already spoke this over with a priest and was told that those sorts of teachings need to be looked at under the light of one’s religiosity. First off, he questions whether I’m suicidal. Following this he asked questions related to my morals and values. In the end he thought my desire to die was not sinful.You are giving various quotes (not Church teachings) to imply that it is okay to want to die despite what the Church teaches.
What you quoted were NOT teachings. Only the Church has teachings when it comes to faith and morals.I already spoke this over with a priest and was told that those sorts of teachings need to be looked at under the light of one’s religiosity. First off, he questions whether I’m suicidal. Following this he asked questions related to my morals and values. In the end he thought my desire to die was not sinful.
I can understand a person in so much pain praying to God to take away the pain or to take him home. I do not see that as sinful.Is it wrong to pray for death? Why or why not?