Because you are glutton for punishment, I include the below. Feel free to ignore it as per your usual strategy when you are in error.
You would do well not to tell me what I am thinking. You do not have mind reading powers, and so far you have not shown any of my arguments to be wrong.
Actually I have, but that’s beside the point. I will be content with proving
what I actually said. I never said that the mistakes were in your ‘main arguments’. I can think of
several examples of your errors off the top of my head. Let’s take your claim that ‘->’ symbolized “standard logical implication.” (somewhere around page 5 if I recall correctly). You changed the subject when I corrected you. Not so much as a “thanks for telling me.” Are you really going to try to tell me that you weren’t wrong?
How many books by experts in symbolic logic would it take for you to admit you were wrong? You’re obviously not well acquainted with the field, so I would say a reasonable number would be 1. **What is it? One? Two? Three? Five? A million? I suppose everyone else is wrong.
**MAIN POST
Rossum, it doesn’t seem like you understand what I say. I can think of two reasons:
- You don’t want to understand what I say.
- You are unable to understand what I say.
Let’s take them separately.
- Not much I can do other than praying for you. I do that, but you still have free will. I can’t make you want to understand.
- This could be due either to a) a deficiency on my part or b) a deficiency on your part.
a) If this is due to a deficiency on my part, it would seem reasonable to ask you to explain what I can do better. So, taking the pradigmatic example that I selected, I have repeatedly asked you how you get from what I wrote:QUOTE: However, this doesn’t fit in very well with nominalism.
I’ll wait for you to clarify whether you are a nominalist, or whether there are just similarities between nominalism and your position before going into the contradiction further (though it should be fairly obvious).
To what you wrote:QUOTE: You have implied that you do so by calling me “nominalist”.
So far, you have given no explanation. If you find my communications skills inadequate, why can’t you answer my question:
**What could I have said to make this more clear? **(And yes, I do really want an answer to that.)
b) If, however, your inability to understand me is due to a deficiency on your part, I’m afraid I can’t help you much.
I hope you agree that it is pointless continuing the discussion if you don’t understand me. Let’s assume there is something more I can do to help me communicate. It seems reasonable to ask you to clarify how you are misunderstanding what I think is perfectly clear. You refuse to explain how this:QUOTE: However, this doesn’t fit in very well with nominalism.
I’ll wait for you to clarify whether you are a nominalist, or whether there are just similarities between nominalism and your position before going into the contradiction further (though it should be fairly obvious).
leads you to write this:QUOTE: You have implied that you do so by calling me “nominalist”.
The ball is in your court. If my communication skills aren’t good enough, surely you could oblige me by explaining how I could do better. Seriously, what could I have said to make this more clear? If the fault is yours, there’s not much I can do.