Is joy a sacrifice?

• Thread starter Thread starter Lou_F
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lou_F

For lent I would like to try something different. Usually I’m the gung ho personality for lent, all or nothing attitude. Usually I sacrifce both the music I enjoy most and the foods I enjoy most. This year I want to improve my marriage by fulfilling the chores & responsibilities I rather neglect. My wife works hard. She enjoys going out for dinner (something we hardly ever do). If I fast from the foods I enjoy throughout the week, am I defeating the purpose of lent by ordering a dinner I enjoy once a week?

I normally have a very “serious” attitude towards God and lent. Do you think I should lighten up and learn how to laugh more? What if I sacrifice my music every other day instead of everyday, or not at all? Meanwhile, I’ll still fast from the foods I do enjoy everyday (except when I take my wife out to dinner). It has been said that we should pick and choose our battles. Should my battle be more to obtain a balance than an all or nothing attitude? Should I grow more in joy? As long as it is not at all sinful, why should I refuse to be a more joyful person my wife will enjoy more? Yet if I don’t sacrifice fully, I feel as if I’m wasting an opportunity to grow and help others spiritually.

If you see that the things you are sacrificing are hurting your relationship with your wife maybe scale back when you are with her especially when you say that you do want to make her a prioity. Example - you say giving up music is one of those things but maybe you can only listen to music if you are dancing with your wife or kids if you have a few.

My first Lent as a revert my mom was in the hospital with pancreatitis. I gave up fast food, which was dificult when I was at the hospital every evening and there were times my grandparents would get hambergers for dinner and I would “slip” as long as it wasn’t a friday or other day of fasting or abstaning.

Instead of giving something up maybe pickup doing one thing each day that lets your wife know she is the most important person on earth to you.

Steph

For lent I would like to try something different. Usually I’m the gung ho personality for lent, all or nothing attitude. Usually I sacrifce both the music I enjoy most and the foods I enjoy most. This year I want to improve my marriage by fulfilling the chores & responsibilities I rather neglect. My wife works hard. She enjoys going out for dinner (something we hardly ever do). If I fast from the foods I enjoy throughout the week, am I defeating the purpose of lent by ordering a dinner I enjoy once a week?

I normally have a very “serious” attitude towards God and lent. Do you think I should lighten up and learn how to laugh more? What if I sacrifice my music every other day instead of everyday, or not at all? Meanwhile, I’ll still fast from the foods I do enjoy everyday (except when I take my wife out to dinner). It has been said that we should pick and choose our battles. Should my battle be more to obtain a balance than an all or nothing attitude? Should I grow more in joy? As long as it is not at all sinful, why should I refuse to be a more joyful person my wife will enjoy more? Yet if I don’t sacrifice fully, I feel as if I’m wasting an opportunity to grow and help others spiritually.
Why not take your wife out to dinner on Sundays? As you probably know, our Lenten sacrifices are not required on Sundays during Lent.
I don’t agree with an “all or nothing” type of sacrifice. I was never able to keep my Lenten promises when I made it an all or nothing proposition. I would fail about the 2nd week. What works for me (and I hope it works for our Lord, as well) is that I make many small sacrifices and/or acts of charity as they present themselves to me throughout the Lenten season. For instance, instead of just walking by the guy on the freeway asking for money as usual, I will go out of my way to take him to a restaurant and feed him. Or, if I find I have some extra time on my hands, I will spend time in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back