Is libre software Catholic?

• Thread starter Thread starter mfs
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to think neither is more catholic tbh. My computer oddly doesn’t like linux unfortunately.

But in terms of the theology I’m not aware of the arguments. But from a work perspective I think the intellectual property laws have a purpose. They aren’t perfect, but if there is no financial incentive to create something then many wouldn’t take the risk. It’s often the driving fore behind perseverance. I view IP as a type of work, and risk. Without protection someone can easily take what someone else created.

The source and distribution of software is morally neutral. Aside from possibly an application of the principle of subsidiarity, I fail to see how this is an issue that touches on faith or morality.
It might touch on morality if some poor people are being deprived of the ability to learn, better themselves or accomplish some task because they don’t have money to pay for software. But aside from that, it’s not a moral issue, and it’s certainly not a Catholic issue.

As for the whole “IP protection is immoral” argument, I think the correct answer lies somewhere in the middle. Some IP protection schemes go too far or don’t make sense, but a reasonable amount of protection allows people to both earn a living and maintain some control, including quality control, over their works, brand etc.

There’s always going to be somebody out there, especially in today’s society, making a moral argument that everything should be free. The Church is unlikely to ever buy into that, thank heaven. Most of such arguments stay in academia where they belong.

Last edited:
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
The source and distribution of software is morally neutral. Aside from possibly an application of the principle of subsidiarity, I fail to see how this is an issue that touches on faith or morality.
It might touch on morality if some poor people are being deprived of the ability to learn, better themselves or accomplish some task because they don’t have money to pay for software. But aside from that, it’s not a moral issue, and it’s certainly not a Catholic issue.
Thanks for bringing up this aspect of it, poor people without access to software. I hadn’t considered that. I haven’t bought software in many years, no need to, I couldn’t justify purchasing an office suite or a video/MP3 downloader when there are many free alternatives. My son was big into producing videos for YouTube a couple of years ago and we were able to find a free video editing suite.

Free software is not about the cost of the software to the consumer!!!

That’s called “free as in beer”. Anyone can give away software for free; look at any app store to see gratis software that is not free software.

Free software is libre, freely shared, with open source code that is distributed alongside the compiled, installable binaries. It’s a whole different economy: it’s a “gift economy” where profit can be made from providing support and other services, or the developers work on commission, etc.

During the Renaissance and even before that time, artists and artisans worked for the Church on works that were commissioned. They were paid handsomely for producing something of value to the Church, and the product was then placed in the public trust. Michelangelo didn’t need to set up a stall by the side of the road selling carvings; he gave the fruits of his labors to the Church and she is the custodian of them to this day.

I’m well aware of all this stuff you’re going on about. I hear some variation of it every other week at work for years now. Not going to discuss a work topic with you, sorry.

We disagree on it and I’m fine with that, you say tomayto, I say tomahto.

There’s nothing Catholic about the issue one way or other. Especially as you are framing it.

Have a nice evening. Muting thread now.

Last edited:
St. Paul said it eloquently.
1 Cor 9:
15 But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing this to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have any one deprive me of my ground for boasting. 16 For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. 18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in my preaching I may make the gospel free of charge, not making full use of my right in the gospel.
Christianity is an open-source religion. Abbeys full of monks saved Western Civilization by copying and recopying important texts. The Bible was chained in Church, so that it might be more freely shared and not spirited away by a greedy thief. The Church makes use of no hidden knowledge, like Gnosticism’s claims.

Last edited:
Are Tents Catholic?..
St. Paul made tents; so, were some tents Catholic and some tents heathen and some tents jewish? Did Paul sleep in a Catholic tent when on the road? Or wear Catholic sandals?

I play with OpenSUSE on a Hyper-V virtual machine on my Windows10 HP laptop. But when I “engage in things Catholic” with people it is around Mass or Scriptures or Virtues or prayer or Augustine or Thomas Aquinas, etc.

Well the Free Software Foundation does not propose any religious philosophy that I am aware of. And many religious applications have been written using that template, Bible software a perfect example.
You can donate if you wish to support the efforts of the people that provide this excellent service to the community at large.
By the contrary some software manufacturers have been caught many a times implementing very illegal practices and even after being caught persevered in their ways.
Of this I was personally involved with catching a “company” which shall remain nameless, so I am not speaking of hearsay. And there are court records that can prove this.
As for atheists using the concept why would that be problematic?
Here is a partial list of the many entities that are involved in the Free Software Movement (Taken from Wikipedia):

Last edited:
lol well look I’m aware of some problems with IP law. However let’s play both sides. If you invested years or decades in developing a technology and then the instant you out a product to market anyone can reverse engineer it and create a cheaper example ( they didn’t have development costs after all). Does that seem fair? In a perfect world I would ay yah give everything away…but we still have financial realities unfortunately…one day I think we can do that.

Last edited:
I think the intellectual property laws have a purpose. They aren’t perfect, but if there is no financial incentive to create something then many wouldn’t take the risk.
That is the rationale given in the US Constitution:

“[the United States Congress shall have power] To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.”
US Constitution Article 1.8.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back