Is looking at baby pictures a form of objectification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willing_Spirit

Active member
Is it immoral for parents to look at baby pictures of their children just for the sake of thinking about how cute they were and missing when they looked that way? I think it could even be hurtful for kids to hear “look at how cute you were” and make them think as if they have disappointed their parents by growing.
 
I can’t imagine any problems with it. But what do I know. I’m sure some professor or psychologist with degrees hanging on the wall will find something wrong with it.
 
I think most parents are glad their babies don’t stay that way forever 🤔😶
And most grown children like to hear how cute they were .
 
Because it is a reflection on physical appearance. It is not really an expression of love for your children to dwell on how they used to look.
 
Because it is a reflection on physical appearance. It is not really an expression of love for your children to dwell on how they used to look.
You’re both over and underthinking this. The whole experience is remniscing about those times.
 
Last edited:
Never heard of it happening before ,certainly not with my kids 🙂
I hope that wasn’t your experience growing up OP
God bless.
 
I hope this thread isn’t going to be derailed now. I made a new topic because I wanted to discuss the question in isolation. I no longer have interest in the context from which the question arised.
 
Last edited:
The poster was asking very specific questions about his personal situation, but I’m trying to gain clarification on the subject of objectification.
 
Because it is a reflection on physical appearance. It is not really an expression of love for your children to dwell on how they used to look.
So, by that reasoning, family members are never allowed to comment on physical appearance?
A husband can’t tell his wife that he loves her cute little nose? A wife can’t compliment her husband on his beard or his muscles that he developed working out at the gym for a year?
A father can’t tell his daughter she looks lovely and grown-up when she appears in a new dress with her hair styled?

Or, if the problem is how a person looked in the past, then it’s not okay for a couple on their 25th anniversary to reminisce on how lovely they thought each other looked on their wedding day?

I think you’re being a bit overscrupulous here. If somebody is focusing on their child’s appearance all day or most of the time, then it’s a problem. Having a short happy memory of when your kids were little is not a problem. It’s normal human behavior.
 
Last edited:
I think the original question is good from a philosophical point of view, and maybe religious as well. Aren’t there other religions that prohibit photographs? I don’t know if that is mere superstition, a legitimate concern for objectification, or something to do with idol worship.

Why do we keep photographs of persons?

All I know for sure is that companies like Eastman Kodak and Polaroid made fortunes off our desire to keep photographs. $ 😃
 
Last edited:
Aren’t there other religions that prohibit photographs? I don’t know if that is mere superstition, a legitimate concern for objectification, or something to do with idol worship.
The religions that prohibit photographs do so either because they believe the photograph steals part of their soul (Eastern religions) or because they think a photograph violates the Biblical prohibition on making “graven images” (Amish in USA). I’ve read that some Amish do not mind being photographed if their face is not shown; for the same reason they do not put faces on their children’s dolls, because they believe lack of a face keeps it from being a graven image.

I am not aware of any religions that prohibit photos based on concerns about objectification.
 
Well, the person is the same person at 20 as he was when he was a baby and even before then, so if someone says how cute he was as a baby, they are complimenting him.

But more than that, I think it is very good for 2 reasons: one is that the children get an idea of appreciating babies, which is not as much in evidence now as it used to be, and two, reminiscing helps cement relationships.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top