I
imo
Guest
I mean, when there is no defamation or grave consequences. For example, if I have a pen in my pocket and someone asks and I say no, I will be lying, but it is a sin?
yes… Lying is a sin. Why Lie - even about a pen - to another…if I have a pen in my pocket and someone asks and I say no, I will be lying, but it is a sin?
Lying is always wrong.I mean, when there is no defamation or grave consequences. For example, if I have a pen in my pocket and someone asks and I say no, I will be lying, but it is a sin?
What about James 2:25, which commends Rahab for misleading those looking for the Jewish spies?imo:![]()
Lying is always wrong.I mean, when there is no defamation or grave consequences. For example, if I have a pen in my pocket and someone asks and I say no, I will be lying, but it is a sin?
You said that lying was always wrong. If it is, then everything you just stated here is irrelevant, because it was still wrong to do despite the good that may have come out of it.Rahab was working for God and became an ancestor of the House of David and of Christ
This act led to a lot of conversions from pagan ways.
Joshua 2:1 Commentaries: Then Joshua the son of Nun sent two men as spies secretly from Shittim, saying, "Go, view the land, especially Jericho." So they went and came into the house of a harlot whose name was Rahab, and lodged there.
I would be interested to read this. Sadly, aside from possibly selections in college, I have never read APVS. I should have.I think John Henry Newman explained when lying is acceptable in Apologia Pro Vita Sua. An example he uses Exodus 1:15 where the midwives saved Hebrew babies by lying to Pharaoh.
I think it was when the person asking is mad or has no authority to ask.
Lying is always wrong , which is a different statement to lying is a sin.You said that lying was always wrong. If it is, then everything you just stated here is irrelevant, because it was still wrong to do despite the good that may have come out of it.
“And in the same way was not also Rahab the harlot justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?” She is not commended for her lie.What about James 2:25, which commends Rahab for misleading those looking for the Jewish spies?
Not being bound to reveal the truth to some persons does not mean lying is permissable, as it is intrinsically evil.Not necessarily always a sin. See http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a8.htm#2489
It is a sin. The consequences are not the only consideration.I mean, when there is no defamation or grave consequences. For example, if I have a pen in my pocket and someone asks and I say no, I will be lying, but it is a sin?
You are correct, and I misspoke (mis-wrote). Lying is always wrong, though the gravity/culpability is not always equal.Not being bound to reveal the truth to some persons does not mean lying is permissable,
It says she was justified (which is obviously commending) for sending them out another way. That was done through the act of lying to them and saying that the spies went elsewhere. It is a clear commending for her lying to them.JSRG:![]()
“And in the same way was not also Rahab the harlot justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?” She is not commended for her lie.What about James 2:25, which commends Rahab for misleading those looking for the Jewish spies?
If that is your argument–that it is okay to do because she was not under the Mosaic law due to being a gentile–then by that logic, as gentiles, we are totally free to lie! Of course, someone can say that, whether explicitly stated in the Mosaic Law or not, certain actions are wrong (e.g. murder), and therefore lying is included in it and prohibited even among those not under the Law. But if that is the argument, then one can’t use the whole “not under the Mosaic law” claim to begin with.Rahab was a Gentile - not under the Mosaic law.