Is lying always wrong and sinful?

  • Thread starter Thread starter imo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Barnesy:
So if your having a party and someone comes that you didnt invite and they say i hope you dont mind? Youd say yes I do mind you cant come in. I think that would be pretty rude. I bet god woukd think it was rude.
What’s rude about being honest? Is it your fault if someone takes offense when you tell them the truth? God never cared if someone got offended by the truth, so I don’t think he’d think it’s rude.
So you never think shall i tell this person the truth or shall i say something nice and make them happy? If your friend says isnt my baby beautiful and you think it looks ugly then are you honest? Being honest is saying no it looks very ugly. And you want to know if thats rude!!
 
So you never think shall i tell this person the truth or shall i say something nice and make them happy?
Of course I do; because I take into account human respect and being “nice” at times. But God does not. God never said anything untrue no matter what.
 
40.png
Barnesy:
So you never think shall i tell this person the truth or shall i say something nice and make them happy?
Of course I do; because I take into account human respect and being “nice” at times. But God does not. God never said anything untrue no matter what.
So we can tell little white lies!! I knew youd agree because people like to be nice most of the time and Ill bet your nice as well. So lying is ok sometimes. But not all the time!!
 
Oh i see. No thats ok. My parents didnt instruct me. They just told me what they thought was true. They said i have to make up my mind myself about some things. So is lying a sin different to lying is wrong? It seems the same to me.
in that case, ask your priest and he can have a good discussion with you
 
40.png
Barnesy:
Oh i see. No thats ok. My parents didnt instruct me. They just told me what they thought was true. They said i have to make up my mind myself about some things. So is lying a sin different to lying is wrong? It seems the same to me.
in that case, ask your priest and he can have a good discussion with you
I dont have a priest. And now i cant remember who i asked that question to. I guess it doesnt matter. Nobody seemed interested in answering it anyway.
 
I checked. It was you. You said that something being wrong and something being a sin is not the same. I guess getting some math wrong is not a sin but thats not what i meant. So whats the difference?
 
I dont have a priest. And now i cant remember who i asked that question to. I guess it doesnt matter. Nobody seemed interested in answering it anyway.
Go to your local Parish and meet the Priest. I gather you are not a practising Catholic?
 
40.png
Barnesy:
I dont have a priest. And now i cant remember who i asked that question to. I guess it doesnt matter. Nobody seemed interested in answering it anyway.
Go to your local Parish and meet the Priest. I gather you are not a practising Catholic?
Id rather you answer it please.
 
40.png
Barnesy:
Id rather you answer it please.
It is best answered by a person to person with an adult who can discuss the intricacies and what concerns led you to ask.
You led me to ask. You said that they were diffrent. I want to know why you think so. I dont want to discuss it with a priest. This is what a forum is for so we can discuss it. Can you tell me why you think its diffrent?
 
The priest recently at my local Parish used a great example when he was speaking about honesty during his homilie.

If a man hides under a table, and a group of people come looking for him to kill him (presumably for a guiltless reason) and they come and say to you “where is he?”

You do not say “Oh he is here under the table” because you want to be honest and tell the truth. The priest continued to illustrate that, yes we have the commandments “Thou shalt not bare false witnnes” but we also have a Brain … Both are given by God, and we must use intelligence to discern what "Honesty " really is about. Same with the Sabbath … Man was made for the Sabbath not the Sabbath for man, and so the commandments where made for men (to follow yes) but not literally to the point of not utilising intelligence also.

Yes lying is a sin, however even in the Bible many lies are told to others to allow God’s work to happen, even just people telling “Lynch mobs” that someone isn’t home 🙂 which happens often in the O.T

Most of us however seldom yield truth over mercy and the devil is the father of lies. On that note, I’ll say no more. But yes it’s a sin unless it’s about something you could not have possibly known was a lie or not at the time.
 
So we can tell little white lies!! I knew youd agree because people like to be nice most of the time and Ill bet your nice as well. So lying is ok sometimes. But not all the time!!
But that’s not what I said. 😉
 
40.png
Barnesy:
So we can tell little white lies!! I knew youd agree because people like to be nice most of the time and Ill bet your nice as well. So lying is ok sometimes. But not all the time!!
But that’s not what I said. 😉
This is what you said.
40.png
ahs:
40.png
Barnesy:
So you never think shall i tell this person the truth or shall i say something nice and make them happy?
Of course I do; because I take into account human respect and being “nice” at times.
Some times you say some thing nice rather than say something nasty like your baby is ugly. Thats the right thing to do!!
 
Some times you say some thing nice rather than say something nasty like your baby is ugly. Thats the right thing to do!!
I didn’t say it was right. I said it was for human respect…which isn’t our measure for right or wrong. Don’t mistake “human respect “ with “being respectful “. I use “human respect “ to mean “doing something out of concern for how others will see me or think about me”.
 
40.png
Barnesy:
Some times you say some thing nice rather than say something nasty like your baby is ugly. Thats the right thing to do!!
I didn’t say it was right. I said it was for human respect…which isn’t our measure for right or wrong. Don’t mistake “human respect “ with “being respectful “. I use “human respect “ to mean “doing something out of concern for how others will see me or think about me”.
So youd say their baby looked beautiful not because you were worried about hurting their feelings. You would lie because you were worried about yourself because people would think you cruel if you told the truth. A good reason to lie is when you are thinking about hurting the other person not when you thinking about yourself. I dont think thats very nice.
 
Coincidentally, just this evening my daughter (who is in college, by the way) had a conversation.

She said, ‘people put these ‘ten-year pictures’ up on social media to show what great shape they’re in, and everyone is like, ‘you look so good!’ and they’ve actually gained weight.’
And I said, “sometimes it’s better to lie and let people feel good about themselves.”
And I stand by that statement.
She doesn’t make friends easily, and has never had close friends. Part of it is her bluntness.
Like I said, I stand by that statement. Sometimes it is better to lie and dash the consequences.
 
In Judaism, there is a different standard regarding whether or not lying is wrong or sinful. If one lies to protect or save a human life, for example, that is not only permissible but, if necessary because there is no other means available, obligatory. Not lying would then be considered sinful. Human life is nearly the most precious thing to protect, with the exception of idolatry. Even the Sabbath may and must be broken to save a human life.
 
Last edited:
“Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbor.” (KJV+ Deu 5:20)

Lying is not a sin in its self, the sin is in the harm it causes. Some things are just no one’s business.

Is your lie going to destroy trust?

If someone just got a call that their son was in the ER and needed a pen to write down some numbers and you lied. Did you cause harm to that person?

If someone wants a pen to doodle on public property and you lied. What harm did you cause.

If you have something that someone else wants or needs. Make the judgment call yourself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top