Is media run by the Goverment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter WilT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WilT

Guest
I don’t believe to be negative in looking at our world but with all this in equality around us and the news seems to be focused on non important local events. Fireman rescues a cat from tree. Neighbor chases away robber and a child saves enough money to give to charity. Don’t get me wrong, it may seem like nice reads but major issues in our society aren’t being covered well or regularly. I sometimes have to go to major news companies (like BBC) for my national news coverage. Am I the only one I wonder? Any ideas?
 
I think you are right but at least Catholic and conservative sites usually have important news.
 
I think in a very real sense, the government is run by the media. The unstoppable 24-hour news cycle, the public pressure the talking heads of TV exert, and the news media’s ability to shape public perception, the mainstream media’s ability to censor news that doesn’t fit its desired narrative – all combine to pressure politicians into politically correct positions and policies (lest they be shamed or criticized by Big Media), and their reelection thereby jeopardized. I would hold up the steamroller of “gay marriage” as Exhibit 1 for this - actually tied for first place with the entire Obama administration.
 
I think in a very real sense, the government is run by the media. The unstoppable 24-hour news cycle, the public pressure the talking heads of TV exert, and the news media’s ability to shape public perception, the mainstream media’s ability to censor news that doesn’t fit its desired narrative – all combine to pressure politicians into politically correct positions and policies (lest they be shamed or criticized by Big Media), and their reelection thereby jeopardized. I would hold up the steamroller of “gay marriage” as Exhibit 1 for this - actually tied for first place with the entire Obama administration.
Interesting idea. government being run by media. then I wonder who are those running the media and maybe we should be getting our people in there to defeat this corruption of media and shows:eek:
 
Not government, otherwise they would be changing ownership every 2-8 years.

But, they are certainly influenced by political ideology, and one that I can think of is blatantly influenced by a political party.

Most “mainstream” news outlets, and the majority of cable outlets lean left.

FOX on the other hand leans right, and clearly is a tool of not just the right but of the Republican Party, and has been for some time.

In the end, it doesn’t matter, as long as you take slant and opinion with a grain of salt.

I can watch CNBC and/or FOX without working myself into a lather one way or another, by keeping this in mind, unlike many of our brothers and sisters here!
 
I don’t think government directly controls the media, in an Orwellian sense. It’s more ideological. Cnn, CBS, MSNBC, and ABC are all leftist sympathizers and will always try to makr the Left look good. I don’t really think Fox News is controlled by the Right, they just call BS when they sense it. They try to be “fair and balanced”, but not always.
 
I think you are right but at least Catholic and conservative sites usually have important news.
I’m afraid though that are stations aren’t big enough to even touch upon the tidal wave of moral crushing issues out there.
 
The media have the same values, beliefs and adjenda as the current party in power so of course they will promote that party line to the best of their ability. They do their best to deflect and negative cover of the Democrats or their scandals and consentrate on fluff such as the soccor coverage or whos to blame for shootings or which celebrity is mad at another or their all time favorite GAY Rights. Go against what they believe and they will take you down. In the mean time they ignore the stories that should be covered. The christians being killed by ISIS, Women now being forced to be castrated their and christians being crucified and forced out of Mosul. It will come back to bite them in the end if these terrorist win and force them to adhere to sharia law. God help us all if that comes to pass.
 
The media have the same values, beliefs and adjenda as the current party in power so of course they will promote that party line to the best of their ability. They do their best to deflect and negative cover of the Democrats or their scandals and consentrate on fluff such as the soccor coverage or whos to blame for shootings or which celebrity is mad at another or their all time favorite GAY Rights. Go against what they believe and they will take you down. In the mean time they ignore the stories that should be covered. The christians being killed by ISIS, Women now being forced to be castrated their and christians being crucified and forced out of Mosul. It will come back to bite them in the end if these terrorist win and force them to adhere to sharia law. God help us all if that comes to pass.
👍
 
I don’t believe to be negative in looking at our world but with all this in equality around us and the news seems to be focused on non important local events. Fireman rescues a cat from tree. Neighbor chases away robber and a child saves enough money to give to charity. Don’t get me wrong, it may seem like nice reads but major issues in our society aren’t being covered well or regularly. I sometimes have to go to major news companies (like BBC) for my national news coverage. Am I the only one I wonder? Any ideas?
No, not Govt owned, but all the mainstream media networks are currently owned by 6 corporations. this is probably scarier than if Govt owned them though!

Now, we have corporations deciding on what is news and what is blacked out, and we never hear about it…Do a google search on mainstream media blackouts, I was amazed at the power the networks have.

There could be terrible things happening in our country right now and if a corporation doesnt want someone in a particular market to hear about it, its quite easy…this is what scares me!
 
I say no. Like everyone else, the technical definition of government controlled media doesn’t fit networks that inherently lean towards a particular ideal/party.

In addition though, I would also say that news networks aren’t representative of all media. Nothing is representative of the whole industry, not Hollywood, not the cable providers, not the studios, not Oprah, not MTV, not EWTN, not the sponsors nor the advertisers. I repeat: nobody.

Honestly, it’s generalizations like this that actually gives me more faith issues compared to anything dogmatic.
 
No, not Govt owned, but all the mainstream media networks are currently owned by 6 corporations. this is probably scarier than if Govt owned them though!
Mikekle I agree but I couldn’t find a good source of this ‘mainstream media blackout’ you mentioned.
 
I know the mainstream media is biased towards the left which means they will go out of their way to protect barack hussein obama.

I was curious one day to turn CNN on and see what was being said about the irs scandal and benghai. This is when both stories were hot.
They didn’t cover benghazi at all and only spent less than a minute on the irs scandal. They really shouldn’t advertise as a news station because they are very selective in the facts they want you to hear.
Unfortunately a lot of people don’t bother to learn things on their own so they are easily misled.
 
The press isn’t controlled by the government but they have a built in pro-government bias. Reporters are, as a class, dumber and lazier than other professions. Mostly they don’t go hunting for stories, they are fed by sources. We were probably better served in the pre-TV era when journalists were working-class, rarely college educated. But that’s back when people read 2-3 newspapers a day.

The media also have a herd mentality. I’m sure they know they blew it on their original coverage of Benghazi but now they’ll never go back and revisit it.
 
You bet it is! Mainstream media is a HUGE influence on our society. Don’t doubt for a minute that corrupt people (AKA government) would do anything to get their filthy little hands on it. Here are a few articles that explain this much better than I can:

activistpost.com/2014/07/the-mainstream-media-has-always-been.html

activistpost.com/2014/07/11-tactics-used-by-mainstream-media-to.html

endoftheamericandream.com/archives/yes-there-are-paid-government-trolls-on-social-media-blogs-forums-and-websites

And this. This is actually kinda creepy… :eek:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ1mA1NeUmU
 
The press isn’t controlled by the government but they have a built in pro-government bias. Reporters are, as a class, dumber and lazier than other professions. Mostly they don’t go hunting for stories, they are fed by sources. We were probably better served in the pre-TV era when journalists were working-class, rarely college educated. But that’s back when people read 2-3 newspapers a day.

The media also have a herd mentality. I’m sure they know they blew it on their original coverage of Benghazi but now they’ll never go back and revisit it.
Oh I agree, I miss the reporters of old, the ones who are not easily deterred by a ‘no comment’ or ‘nothing to see here folks’, I remember when hungry reporters would go to great lengths to get the details on a story, but today, so often, they just quit and give up when they are told NO, or similar by literally anyone, reporters used to be good at sneaking into places, getting interviews/ footage with people they should not be, and other types of situations, where getting the story is all that matters. I guess most of them today dont have the drive or motivation of reporters years ago.

Its pretty sad when you can watch all the networks and NOT ONE of them has anything more to report than the others, they are virtually exactly the same, hard to believe no one can get the details of a story…?
 
Since most people think the government is incapable of running anything well, maybe it would be good if the government ran the media 😛

The reason most stations have things about cats up a tree or mailboxes being knocked down is because their viewing audience wants news about their community. Most people don’t want to hear about the latest war in the middle east or the drought in Africa or who the Prime Minister in Italy is or what is going on in the United States unless one lives in one of those countries or has family in one of them. Most people feel there is nothing they can do about big global situations or even big less global things, so why clutter up one’s time or mind worrying about them.
 
sallybutler said:
very true, many people are satisfied with the local news. I’ve always wondered why that is so. As Catholics we are called to look outside of ones self which I thought means we should be interested equally in both local and world news.:confused:
 
The media clutters your mind with many unimportant events so that you don’t pay any attention to the important things that are going on.

They’ll tell you a riveting tale about that cat up the tree, but they won’t tell you that Fukushima is still dumping tone of radioactive material into the ocean. Or that the North Pacific is essentially becoming a dead zone… :eek:

They certainly won’t say anything about all the Christians that are being killed in the Middle East and China. They’ll talk about mailboxes, but probably not about the hospital in the UK that was found to be burning the remains of aborted fetuses to help power the hospital.

And many people haven’t heard that we’ve got bees dying off in massive numbers because of the pesticides that are being used in today’s agriculture. Scientists are worrying that bees and monarch butterflies will eventually become extinct! :eek:

In this day and age, it’s important to be aware of what’s going on in the world, and how it can effect you. It might not seem like it, but events happening on the other side of the globe WILL eventually effect you in one way or another. It’s a chain reaction.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top