M
m_crane
Guest
I have just been through a situation with my mom. She is a very young 66 year old. In Oct she fell and broke her hip. She had surgery and a good repair. Doc was very proud of his work. She needed rehab and because she was not recovering at a normal pace in the hospital so she was sent to a nursing home. She did not want to go to the nursing home but it was the only option.
At the NH she told me that a black woman was abusing her, not helping her, letting her lay there etc. She said it was racial( my mom is white). I told her I would talk to the director but she got very angry with me and said don’t you dare. I thought it was the pain meds making her hallucinate.She was also hallucinating in the hospital ,seeing things and and being very nasty to me.I attributed that her pain also. I saw no evidence of mistreatment.
The staff was very caring and polite. The staff spoon feed her, washed her, gave her many pillows and took her vitals regularlly.
She didn’t seem to be doing well in the NH, refusing to eat or go to rehab. She had me bring her special food then she didn’t eat any. Two weeks into the nursing home she is loosing weight but I don’t know why, The doctor call me in because my sister filed a grievance against the nursing home. The doctor tells me my mom is young and should be doing better and asks if she has any health problem that they are not aware of. He goes through a list. I tell him the she has not been to a doctor in many years because she refuses to go so I don’t know. I now recall 2 severe her vomiting episodes in the past and that we begged her to go to a doctor but she refused.
I also apologize for my sister because I think she should have spoken someone there before filing a grievance with the state. The NH is very upset because now they are in trouble. I tell them that my sister is crazy(she is very mentally ill her a psych doctor told her she has 8 types of mental disorders and her nursing license is on probation) and that I will cooperate to clear the grievance against them, After this meeting, I go down the hall to my moms room. I hear her vomiting, my sister is there, she is a nurse( would want to be in her care), I go to get the doctor. When I get back with a nurse, my sister has disposed of the vomit and rinsed to tray. I ask her why would she do such a thing because the doctor would want to see what my mom is vomiting, bile, blood etc. She should know this -she is a nurse! The NH is not aware of my moms vomiting , she refused to tell them. I had to catch her doing it.
This is just chapter one of the drama, there is more. I am wiped out after dealing with my mom, she lies constantly and manipulates. This has been a very serious life threating situation,. At one point, i was greiving that she would die because I thought she just didn’t seem to want to live. She hid her symptoms from me, the nurses and the doctors. She almost killed herself! Why would someone do this to herself and her loved ones?
At the NH she told me that a black woman was abusing her, not helping her, letting her lay there etc. She said it was racial( my mom is white). I told her I would talk to the director but she got very angry with me and said don’t you dare. I thought it was the pain meds making her hallucinate.She was also hallucinating in the hospital ,seeing things and and being very nasty to me.I attributed that her pain also. I saw no evidence of mistreatment.
The staff was very caring and polite. The staff spoon feed her, washed her, gave her many pillows and took her vitals regularlly.
She didn’t seem to be doing well in the NH, refusing to eat or go to rehab. She had me bring her special food then she didn’t eat any. Two weeks into the nursing home she is loosing weight but I don’t know why, The doctor call me in because my sister filed a grievance against the nursing home. The doctor tells me my mom is young and should be doing better and asks if she has any health problem that they are not aware of. He goes through a list. I tell him the she has not been to a doctor in many years because she refuses to go so I don’t know. I now recall 2 severe her vomiting episodes in the past and that we begged her to go to a doctor but she refused.
I also apologize for my sister because I think she should have spoken someone there before filing a grievance with the state. The NH is very upset because now they are in trouble. I tell them that my sister is crazy(she is very mentally ill her a psych doctor told her she has 8 types of mental disorders and her nursing license is on probation) and that I will cooperate to clear the grievance against them, After this meeting, I go down the hall to my moms room. I hear her vomiting, my sister is there, she is a nurse( would want to be in her care), I go to get the doctor. When I get back with a nurse, my sister has disposed of the vomit and rinsed to tray. I ask her why would she do such a thing because the doctor would want to see what my mom is vomiting, bile, blood etc. She should know this -she is a nurse! The NH is not aware of my moms vomiting , she refused to tell them. I had to catch her doing it.
This is just chapter one of the drama, there is more. I am wiped out after dealing with my mom, she lies constantly and manipulates. This has been a very serious life threating situation,. At one point, i was greiving that she would die because I thought she just didn’t seem to want to live. She hid her symptoms from me, the nurses and the doctors. She almost killed herself! Why would someone do this to herself and her loved ones?