Is my baby too old to receive infant baptism?

• Thread starter Thread starter sabrinaofmn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sabrinaofmn

I am planning on converting, and I want to know if my son can be baptised. He’s 18 months old. Is there an age at which he become ineligible because he is no longer an infant?

No, a person can be baptised at any age, and it is to be encouraged.

Dear Sabrinaofmn,

If you are wondering if your baby is considered an “infant,” the answer is yes. Regarding baptism, the Church sees anyone who hasn’t attained the use of reason as being an “infant.” So, your baby can be baptized like any other baby–that is, without any preparation on his part. What are you converting from? You haven’t had him baptized yet?

The age cutoff is presumed by canon law to be 7 years old:

Canon 97 §1 A person who has completed the eighteenth year of age, has attained majority; below this age, a person is a minor.

§2 A minor who has not completed the seventh year of age is called an infant and is considered incapable of personal responsibility; on completion of the seventh year, however, the minor is presumed to have the use of reason.

40.png
Catholic2003:
The age cutoff is presumed by canon law to be 7 years old:

Canon 97 §1 A person who has completed the eighteenth year of age, has attained majority; below this age, a person is a minor.

§2 A minor who has not completed the seventh year of age is called an infant and is considered incapable of personal responsibility; on completion of the seventh year, however, the minor is presumed to have the use of reason.
:bounce: Deacons use to be able to Baptize up to 14 years old but now our falculties are to 7 yrs. old. The reason for that is from 8 yrs. old on up they are Confirmed when they are Baptized. Deacons are not allowed to Confirm.

👋 DigitalDeacon

Congratualations on converting! Thats is so wonderful!! I am glad you want to baptize your baby too! 😃 Your baby is a fine age to get baptized too… a person can get baptized at any age with proper instuction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back