Is normalized liturgical abuse a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter OurLadyPerpHelp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would any priest want to change the Mass anyway? If he is comfortable disobeying the Church in public, what could be going on in private?
I have often wondered this before too. If a priest does not care about a reverent liturgy, then either a) his priorities are out of line, or b) he has a very twisted outlook on life.

Neither of these are a good position for our spiritual fathers to be in.
 
I have often wondered this before too. If a priest does not care about a reverent liturgy, then either a) his priorities are out of line, or b) he has a very twisted outlook on life.

Neither of these are a good position for our spiritual fathers to be in.
…or he doesn’t use the internet.
 
…or he doesn’t use the internet.
OR he thinks he has the power to make a ‘better’ or more ‘relevant’, more ‘personal’, more ‘accurate’, more “Christ-like” liturgy than ‘some rigid, hide-bound RULES driven’ liturgy . . .because for years if not decades he has been told, by those in authority, that this is not only what he COULD be doing, but SHOULD be doing.

Never underestimate the power of so-called ‘good intentions’ to be used as justification for all types of sin. We see it every day as ‘black’ is twisted into ‘white’ and extremes are presented as ‘normal reality’ while normal reality is presented as an extreme. . .
 
OR he thinks he has the power to make a ‘better’ or more ‘relevant’, more ‘personal’, more ‘accurate’, more “Christ-like” liturgy than ‘some rigid, hide-bound RULES driven’ liturgy . . .because for years if not decades he has been told, by those in authority, that this is not only what he COULD be doing, but SHOULD be doing.

Never underestimate the power of so-called ‘good intentions’ to be used as justification for all types of sin. We see it every day as ‘black’ is twisted into ‘white’ and extremes are presented as ‘normal reality’ while normal reality is presented as an extreme. . .
Where abuses are occurring, they should be corrected but I refuse to judge the intentions of the pastors or priests where this is happening. I have enough faults of my own to deal with.
 
Where abuses are occurring, they should be corrected but I refuse to judge the intentions of the pastors or priests where this is happening. I have enough faults of my own to deal with.
I want to make it absolutely clear that I am neither judging the intentions of any given priest, nor am I criticizing any given priest . . .merely offering possible explanations for them to be ‘deviating from the texts’ based on what I have read from things like Father Z’s blog, information presented on this forum, reports in the National Catholic Register, etc.

Further, I offer these possibilities not to ‘accuse’ any priest but rather as a possible lessening of culpability should these situations occur for any priest. I’m trying to show really that rather than outright accusations of “He’s sinning” we should be checking into WHY a priest MIGHT be doing something which is against the rubrics (and of course, always doing this with politeness and respect).
 
. I’m trying to show really that rather than outright accusations of “He’s sinning” we should be checking into WHY a priest MIGHT be doing something which is against the rubrics (and of course, always doing this with politeness and respect).
I agree.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top