Is not going to Church really so bad?

• Thread starter Thread starter Harriet
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hattie -

I’m not sure this will help, but let me tell my situation. Nearly 8 years ago I committed my life back to God after living a less than perfect life. I vowed to center my life on prayer as our Lord asks us to do. I quite my very good paying job without really knowing where I was headed, leaving it in the hands of Our Lord to guide me.

I now have a job where I actually help people, instead of taking advantage of them. ( I work for the department of labor - unemployment division making about a quarter of what I was making)

I’ve lost all my “freinds”, except one. I’ve alienated most of my family, and new folks I meet tell me I take “Religion to seriously” (Is that possible?) I’m not a “in your face” Christian, but rather a quiet, devoted Catholic.

This all said, I wouldn’t change a thing. I love going to Mass. I love spending time with the Lord in prayer. We attend Mass because Our Lord asks us to … Then again, if we truly love the Lord, why would we ever pass up a chance to worship Him and recieve Him Body, Blood Soul and Divinty?

Your question reminds me of a line in the movie “A Man for all Seasons” about the life of St Thomas More. When King Henry asks St Thomas to join the others and accept him as head of the Church, rather than the Pope, St Thomas says “No” and follows up with:

"If you go to heaven for following your conscience, and I go to hell for not following mine … will you join me? "

Something to think about when speaking to folks who don’t understand. There will always be friends and family trying to drive a wedge between you and the Lord.

In His peace !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back