Is overeating mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joclucsylv
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joclucsylv

Guest
I have never confessed overeating, and today I was wondering if it is mortal sin.
 
Yes. It’s part of one of the seven deadly sins, gluttony.
 
Gluttony is not normally a mortal sin. If your’re overeating has not seriously threatened your health than it’s not a mortal sin.
 
I do believe that gluttony, also know as intemperance is rarely a mortal or grave sin. the circumstances would have to be pretty serious. Going overboard in a meal and stuffing yourself is not a mortal sin unless under rare circumstances.

The very fact that you don’t know whether or not you have commited a mortal sin shows you haven’t committed one.
 
It depends on the effect of over eating. If there was just discomfort, then unless there is some other circumstance needing to be considered, it would not exceed a venial sin if that.

Some times a person may over eat and not know it at the time. It shows up later as a mild discomfort. Unless done repeatedly, there is nothing to be concerned about.
 
Ok sorry to be gross, but think Roman banquets where people ate well beyond their capacity, purged themselves to be able to enjoy all the good foods some more. I’m pretty sure in that case this is mortal, or competitive eating. I don’t want to mislead anyone and I certainly don’t know God’s mind, so take this with a huge grain of salt. Anyhow we should all aim for moderation.
 
A mortal sin?! I don’t think so, and where do you draw the line? Count the calories? I would say that gluttony would be eating, then purging so you could eat more, and repeat.

When we see the word gluttony, we always think of food. But gluttony can also be for other things. Gluttony can mean greedy, as well, or excessively fond of or excessively eager for something.
 
Ok sorry to be gross, but think Roman banquets where people ate well beyond their capacity, purged themselves to be able to enjoy all the good foods some more. I’m pretty sure in that case this is mortal, or competitive eating. I don’t want to mislead anyone and I certainly don’t know God’s mind, so take this with a huge grain of salt. Anyhow we should all aim for moderation.
Thanks Robert. I think that’s a pretty good example of how it could be a mortal sin. I’d say that anything less is not mortal (in general).

I know that when I approach an “all you can eat” buffet that I have to consciously limit what I eat, just because if I overeat then I spoil the meal anyway. I also note that it spoils the meal as a social experience, because I’m obsessed with the food rather than the company. I feel that that’s a venial sin, worth confessing, because I know in advance what the effects are and that I should avoid them.
 
The Catholic Encyclopedia explains it all.

An excerpt:
Gluttony is in general a venial sin in so far forth as it is an undue indulgence in a thing which is in itself neither good nor bad. Of course it is obvious that a different estimate would have to be given of one so wedded to the pleasures of the table as to absolutely and without qualification live merely to eat and drink, so minded as to be of the number of those, described by the Apostle St. Paul, “whose god is their belly” (Phil., iii, 19). Such a one would be guilty of mortal sin.
 
Yes. It’s part of one of the seven deadly sins, gluttony.
Such would be a misunderstanding. Usually such is not mortal.

One reason why we tend to use instead the term seven capital sins. NOT everything under them are mortal sins.
 
Individual acts of overeating…intemperance (gluttony in this sense) are “ordinarily” a “venial matter” for venial sin…

(though gluttony can be grave such as when one is getting drunk where one looses ones reason is mortal for example (or if it leads to other mortal sins)…or uncorrected habits of eating in a way that will “seriously harm ones health or life” --at least in the “short term” that is…)

We need to seek to grow in the virtue of temperance…

Catechism:

1806 Prudence is the virtue that disposes practical reason to discern our true good in every circumstance and to choose the right means of achieving it; "the prudent man looks where he is going."65 "Keep sane and sober for your prayers."66 Prudence is “right reason in action,” writes St. Thomas Aquinas, following Aristotle.67 It is not to be confused with timidity or fear, nor with duplicity or dissimulation. It is called auriga virtutum (the charioteer of the virtues); it guides the other virtues by setting rule and measure. It is prudence that immediately guides the judgment of conscience. The prudent man determines and directs his conduct in accordance with this judgment. With the help of this virtue we apply moral principles to particular cases without error and overcome doubts about the good to achieve and the evil to avoid.

1809 Temperance is the moral virtue that moderates the attraction of pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods. It ensures the will’s mastery over instincts and keeps desires within the limits of what is honorable. The temperate person directs the sensitive appetites toward what is good and maintains a healthy discretion: "Do not follow your inclination and strength, walking according to the desires of your heart."72 Temperance is often praised in the Old Testament: "Do not follow your base desires, but restrain your appetites."73 In the New Testament it is called “moderation” or “sobriety.” We ought "to live sober, upright, and godly lives in this world."74

To live well is nothing other than to love God with all one’s heart, with all one’s soul and with all one’s efforts; from this it comes about that love is kept whole and uncorrupted (through temperance). No misfortune can disturb it (and this is fortitude). It obeys only [God] (and this is justice), and is careful in discerning things, so as not to be surprised by deceit or trickery (and this is prudence).75
 
Gluttony can also be a grave sin when one shows intemperance in other matters; i.e. charging one’s credit card / over extending the money to buy food and / or drink that one cannot actually afford - regardless of the health risks.
 
For clarification, may I ask: what if it’s Thanksgiving or one is at a very special party… that sort of thing?

I mean, if we are sometimes called to fast, is it also appropriate to feast. within reason, at times?
 
For clarification, may I ask: what if it’s Thanksgiving or one is at a very special party… that sort of thing?

I mean, if we are sometimes called to fast, is it also appropriate to feast. within reason, at times?
Is one to still avoid gluttony…that is intemperance? yes. Is Thanksgiving (etc) an excuse for intemperance? No.

However I would say that* temperance* will look* differently* on feasts (special occasions) then it does in ordinary life.

The virtue of temperance will take into account the feast as it were. As you noted - there is a time to fast and a time to feast.

In addition to this post forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=9106498&postcount=11
 
If we break the rules on a day that we should be fasting / abstain from meat, for example, then yes it must be confessed.

If we overly eat that we may injure or hurt our bodies or cause us to be sick, it is a mortal sin because our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit and we are to treat them with care.

If we eat more than necesary out of greed, etc… is all considered gluttony.

Basically, when we eat food, moderation is key. Not only does the Church teach this, but modern medicine does too. Any good doctor will tell you not to overeat.

Gluttony can be defined as either a venial sin or a mortal sin depending on the situation. Gluttony is generally venial unless you start causing serious physical/emotional harm to yourself (and others), then it becomes mortal. It is also mortal, like I said before, when breaking rules of fasting/abstinance days, etc… If you feel you are doing any of these, you should go to confession.

As an earlier poster also said, when do we know “when enough is enough? Do we start counting calories??..” Well, I don’t believe you should make yourself go too crazy. Remember, we need to eat in order to live. The Lord blesses us with many things and food is one of them. We are allowed to eat many many things, and Jesus fulfills the Old Testament dietary laws as many foods that were once “unclean” have become “clean” for us. The key is this as I see it: maintain a healthy diet and take care of your body, eat in moderation, enjoy food but don’t make it into an “idol,” and always be thankful for the food God has given us. It is a good habit to make the sign of the cross and say a quick prayer before meals as I remember my grandparents used to do. It’s a good habit that our generation should get into as well. Gluttony, like every other sin, is a failure to put God first. We must put God first.
 
I just want to add that the “flip side” of overeating is, for many of us unfortunates, body hatred and a fierce drive to diet. I don’t want to sin, nor do I want to be overwieght, nor do I want to obsess about my dreadful body, but I often feel that I am a pinball, rebounding off of all the sides in the pinball game. I believe that this is my particular cross to bear, my burden to carry, and I know I need to offer all these inappropriate responses up to God, who alone can cure me of all my misguided longings. I just wanted to add this view, that some of us regret our overeating, both the sinful nature of it and the physical result, but the opposing actions, dieting and restriction, can also become sharp weapon and painful habits.
 
I just want to add that the “flip side” of overeating is, for many of us unfortunates, body hatred and a fierce drive to diet. I don’t want to sin, nor do I want to be overwieght, nor do I want to obsess about my dreadful body, but I often feel that I am a pinball, rebounding off of all the sides in the pinball game. I believe that this is my particular cross to bear, my burden to carry, and I know I need to offer all these inappropriate responses up to God, who alone can cure me of all my misguided longings. I just wanted to add this view, that some of us regret our overeating, both the sinful nature of it and the physical result, but the opposing actions, dieting and restriction, can also become sharp weapon and painful habits.
I think as long as you eat enough to keep yourself healthy, then I do not think that this is a sin. Our bodies have been given to us as a gift from God, they are to be a Holy Temple of God, so we must treat them with respect.

God Bless. :gopray:
 
How about the person who doesn’t overeat, but expect everything they do eat to be ‘perfect’ in everything. Or they count carories so they would not be overweight (5’10" at 85 lbs), IMO, they are also edging close to guttony. Just my thoughts. :D:okpeople:
 
I recomend that you listen to Fr. Barrons talk on the 7 deadly sins. The talk explains all the sins and the efects they have
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top