Is playing Fighting games a sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter zombiekidcrazy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zombiekidcrazy

Guest
hey guys. I play that is called
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
It does have some violence in it, because you do have to KO enemies(its a crossover fighting game) you have to actually look it up to understand how it plays. here is some gameplay.
youtube.com/watch?v=dxNaoNq8DcI
I was wondering if it was a sin to play this even though i mostly bounce around in training mode where the cpu doesnt move. I was confused about weather it was a sin because i am also a 1st degree black belt in taek won do martial arts so i do things like sparring (1 vs 1 fighting).
I am actually against things like killing and murdering and raping in real life. The reason why i dont play things like GTA or dead island is because they resemble too much to real life whereas this game is just to unrealistic to be even considered under the same categories as GTA or dead island.
I also play Tekken 6, Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, and Street Fighter X Tekken.
 
hey guys. I play that is called
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
It does have some violence in it, because you do have to KO enemies(its a crossover fighting game) you have to actually look it up to understand how it plays. here is some gameplay.
youtube.com/watch?v=dxNaoNq8DcI
I was wondering if it was a sin to play this even though i mostly bounce around in training mode where the cpu doesnt move. I was confused about weather it was a sin because i am also a 1st degree black belt in taek won do martial arts so i do things like sparring (1 vs 1 fighting).
I am actually against things like killing and murdering and raping in real life. The reason why i dont play things like GTA or dead island is because they resemble too much to real life whereas this game is just to unrealistic to be even considered under the same categories as GTA or dead island.
I also play Tekken 6, Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, and Street Fighter X Tekken.
As long as it doesn’t create the lust for violence, in real life, you should be fine. As you grow into maturity, you’ll find when it’s necessary to act in violence (an example, in defense of self, or others). You’ll find when violence is placed in its proper context, as it pertains to multimedia.
 
There’s an examination of conscience that I use that lists “Dungeons and Dragons” as being a venial sin against the 1st commandment. I would say that playing mortal combat could possibly fall into this category.
 
There’s an examination of conscience that I use that lists “Dungeons and Dragons” as being a venial sin against the 1st commandment. I would say that playing mortal combat could possibly fall into this category.
Is it because you’re playing those games, for endless hours? I can see that argument, in such a light.
 
Is it because you’re playing those games, for endless hours? I can see that argument, in such a light.
Because it’s the first commandment, I suspect it’s because these games involves demons and witchcraft…
 
Because it’s the first commandment, I suspect it’s because it’s because these games involves demons and witchcraft…
Well, I’d only make the argument of these objects being fantasy. I’d see a bigger issue in worshiping gameplay, instead of God. If, for some reason, playing the game leads you to adopt the in-game practices, or you start acting out what’s in the game (don’t see that happening, personally), then there’s an issue.
 
hey guys. I play that is called
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
It does have some violence in it, because you do have to KO enemies(its a crossover fighting game) you have to actually look it up to understand how it plays. here is some gameplay.
youtube.com/watch?v=dxNaoNq8DcI
I was wondering if it was a sin to play this even though i mostly bounce around in training mode where the cpu doesnt move. I was confused about weather it was a sin because i am also a 1st degree black belt in taek won do martial arts so i do things like sparring (1 vs 1 fighting).
I am actually against things like killing and murdering and raping in real life. The reason why i dont play things like GTA or dead island is because they resemble too much to real life whereas this game is just to unrealistic to be even considered under the same categories as GTA or dead island.
I also play Tekken 6, Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, and Street Fighter X Tekken.
Welcome to CAF! Questions like “is playing this game sinful” come up fairly frequently around here – I’m sure you can search for and find a number of threads on the issue if you want to check them out.

In answer to your question, games aren’t inherently sinful, so long as you aren’t spending so much time on it that you neglect other things in your life (going to Church, fulfilling your responsibilities at work/school, etc) and that they don’t “inspire” you to do sinful things in real life.

By the way, I’m a gamer myself – I primarily do single player RPGs and strategy games.

God bless,
Dean
 
Well, I’d only make the argument of these objects being fantasy. I’d see a bigger issue in worshiping gameplay, instead of God. If, for some reason, playing the game leads you to adopt the in-game practices, or you start acting out what’s in the game (don’t see that happening, personally), then there’s an issue.
I just wouldn’t advise the OP to play that game. I played mortal combat / streetfighters as a kid when I was not a practicing Catholic and I definitely recall there being some demonic elements. Opening the door to satan, even just a tiny bit, is just not a good idea…

It’s tough being Catholic, there’s no doubt. Maybe the OP can break out the old Nintendo 64 Super Smash Bros with his/her friends, instead… 🙂
 
I think it’s how you look at a game. If playing a fighting gives you an urge for violence in real life, then I would not play it. Jesus says " If thy right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out". This can be said if you are playing a game that can be lustful in nature. Or a game like Grand Theft Auto, which might make you feel like stealing something in real life.

I believe we should try to avoid certain game, even if they are not in themselves sinful, because they may lead you to sin in another way. Playing too long and neglecting your duties to God is one example.
 
I think it’s how you look at a game. If playing a fighting gives you an urge for violence in real life, then I would not play it. Jesus says " If thy right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out". This can be said if you are playing a game that can be lustful in nature. Or a game like Grand Theft Auto, which might make you feel like stealing something in real life.

I believe we should try to avoid certain game, even if they are not in themselves sinful, because they may lead you to sin in another way. Playing too long and neglecting your duties to God is one example.
Nice reference. Remove those stumbling blocks preventing from being closer to God!
 
I just wouldn’t advise the OP to play that game. I played mortal combat / streetfighters as a kid when I was not a practicing Catholic and I definitely recall there being some demonic elements. Opening the door to satan, even just a tiny bit, is just not a good idea…

It’s tough being Catholic, there’s no doubt. Maybe the OP can break out the old Nintendo 64 Super Smash Bros with his/her friends, instead… 🙂
The difference is that in mortal kombat you have guts and blood flying out. In Ultimate, there is only one character who is evil in the sense of his role as a video game character. If you are familiar with marvel(Iron man, Phenoix, Hulk, Doctor doom, Doctor strange, etc…) then you know its a bunch of superheroes/villans from capcom and marvel battling. In Ultimate Marvel vs capcom3, Street fighter 4, and Street fighter x tekken, There isn’t even a drop of blood or gut anywhere in the game. Its rated T. These games dont tempt me, or change me, nor do i carry them out in real life. It kinda feels like SSB(Super smash bros) is somewhat like street fighter in the sense that there is no gore, and you are just beating people, not ripping their guts apart like Mortal combat. I still read the bible 1-2 hours a day, go to church, and since im still a young teenager, i still find school extremely important.
 
The difference is that in mortal kombat you have guts and blood flying out. In Ultimate, there is only one character who is evil in the sense of his role as a video game character. If you are familiar with marvel(Iron man, Phenoix, Hulk, Doctor doom, Doctor strange, etc…) then you know its a bunch of superheroes/villans from capcom and marvel battling. In Ultimate Marvel vs capcom3, Street fighter 4, and Street fighter x tekken, There isn’t even a drop of blood or gut anywhere in the game. Its rated T. These games dont tempt me, or change me, nor do i carry them out in real life. It kinda feels like SSB(Super smash bros) is somewhat like street fighter in the sense that there is no gore, and you are just beating people, not ripping their guts apart like Mortal combat. I still read the bible 1-2 hours a day, go to church, and since im still a young teenager, i still find school extremely important.
I admire your confidence, but don’t let this run into the realm of excessive hubris, something I personally struggle with 😦
 
I think it’s how you look at a game. If playing a fighting gives you an urge for violence in real life, then I would not play it. Jesus says " If thy right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out". This can be said if you are playing a game that can be lustful in nature. Or a game like Grand Theft Auto, which might make you feel like stealing something in real life.

I believe we should try to avoid certain game, even if they are not in themselves sinful, because they may lead you to sin in another way. Playing too long and neglecting your duties to God is one example.
What do you mean duties to god?? Meaning reading the bible, going to church, going by his word,etc…?
 
Yeah, I’m just saying, from personal experience.
yeah, im very young and in summer vacation(ends in less than 2 weeks:() so i read the bible, go to the church, go to the gym, etc… even though im still a teen and most teens don’t usually read the bible, i read it because i feel i need spiritual guidance from god and jesus christ rather than our society. I feel imperfect or poor in the eyes of god and sinful. I read it for about 1-2 hours a day and go to church and of course i pray every time i feel the need to. But i also play fighting games and some music games. I have a feeling that when school starts again im not going to have much time for video games so i might devote much more time to my school work, bible, taekwondo, and piano.
Sometimes i have felt like i worry too much about the bible and my mom has noticed how much i stress about it. She told me its wonderful that im reading the bible but not to stress so much about it. This is a problem with me that ive had for a couple months now.
 
yeah, im very young and in summer vacation(ends in less than 2 weeks:() so i read the bible, go to the church, go to the gym, etc… even though im still a teen and most teens don’t usually read the bible, i read it because i feel i need spiritual guidance from god and jesus christ rather than our society. I feel imperfect or poor in the eyes of god and sinful. I read it for about 1-2 hours a day and go to church and of course i pray every time i feel the need to. But i also play fighting games and some music games. I have a feeling that when school starts again im not going to have much time for video games so i might devote much more time to my school work, bible, taekwondo, and piano.
Sometimes i have felt like i worry too much about the bible and my mom has noticed how much i stress about it. She told me its wonderful that im reading the bible but not to stress so much about it. This is a problem with me that ive had for a couple months now.
The interesting thing about Christianity is, once you think you’ve got a handle on it, you really don’t. That’s why it’s important to stay focus on worship/glory to God, while you remain humble. As my favorite coach, Jim Harbaugh, says, “walk with humble hearts.” (Who happens to be Catholic, by virtue of his upbringing). Anything you do, if not watchful, can be taken as idolatry (done to extremes).
 
What do you mean duties to god?? Meaning reading the bible, going to church, going by his word,etc…?
Yea I meant anything from attending mass, prayer, and even daily chores. Sometimes I would play video games and forget about doing my daiy chores, including HW, washing the. dishes, taking out the trash, etc. I would sometimes even forget to pray because I would get distracted with video games.

A game that comes to mind is The Sims. I would play it in the PC and sometimes I would play it the whole day, forgetting about everything else.
 
yeah, im very young and in summer vacation(ends in less than 2 weeks:() so i read the bible, go to the church, go to the gym, etc… even though im still a teen and most teens don’t usually read the bible, i read it because i feel i need spiritual guidance from god and jesus christ rather than our society. I feel imperfect or poor in the eyes of god and sinful. I read it for about 1-2 hours a day and go to church and of course i pray every time i feel the need to. But i also play fighting games and some music games. I have a feeling that when school starts again im not going to have much time for video games so i might devote much more time to my school work, bible, taekwondo, and piano.
Sometimes i have felt like i worry too much about the bible and my mom has noticed how much i stress about it. She told me its wonderful that im reading the bible but not to stress so much about it. This is a problem with me that ive had for a couple months now.
Great for you:) I am 18 and read the bible frequently. I don’t know that many of my friends that read the bible, neverless go to mass. I think that’s ssomething that’s missing in our society. We need to get youths back to Christ and to raise them in a Christian life again. Our world is highly secular.
 
Great for you:) I am 18 and read the bible frequently. I don’t know that many of my friends that read the bible, neverless go to mass. I think that’s ssomething that’s missing in our society. We need to get youths back to Christ and to raise them in a Christian life again. Our world is highly secular.
From what i’ve seen musicwise, yeah. I try to stay away from those music and i listen to mozart, yordano, and Richard Clayderman(talented pianist). I look at music differently then i did 3 months ago. 3 months ago, i would listen to anything, not read the bible, etc… But i have a very big problem with masturbation(very different topic) and when i found out it was a sin, i tried to stay away as much as possible. I started reading the bible because i thought maybe it would be better to let my spirit be guided by what god says strictly so that i may stay away from a careless society and it might give good advice on how to avoid sexual sin and any other sin. When i began to read it, and began to get more interested in salvation, jesus christ, and living a clean life. And now when i look back, i realized how bad and satanic this society is(especially the media). Its been only 3 months and i feel as if i had a major and shocking wakeup call.
 
It’s pretty weird how you mention masturbation, because that’s one of the reasons why I got close to my faith. When I was 16 I started doing it, not knowing it was sinful, but once I found out, it was too late, I had an addiction to it. I then started reading the bible, then I started going to church, and as for music I have a very different view on it. I used to not pay attention to the lyrics, I would only listen to the quality of the song. Now that I know the lyrics I am cautious about what I listen to.

Although I still listen to secular music, I don’t listen to everything I used to listen to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top