Again and again the Pope preaches and espouses left wing economics, for which I believe he is wildly off base and misinformed.
I don’t feel he is qualified and should stick with core Catholic teaching and principles. Your thoughts
Social justice; charity; and generosity are ALL Catholic teaching and principles, are they not? Perhaps His Holiness is calling for a little humanity from those that have more than they could EVER need/use? Greed is the root of so much evil and despair in the world not just today, but throughout human history.
**Matthew 19:24 **clearly states ~ And again I say to you: It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven.
It is not for me to interpret this passage; but for the Church. I do believe that the Church teaches that we ALL have a duty to aid those less fortunate than us REGARDLESS of how they came to be in that circumstance; and those who have more to spare have a greater responsibility.
And where would you draw the line between “economics” and Catholic “social justice?”
Good question. Our Catholic faith should be a part of our entire life, not just one hour per week (mass). “The Church” (the clergy) can’t do everything. Christ calls on us ALL to help the needy in whatever way we can afford.
For example: I don’t know if the Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam is a Christian or not; but according to the Wall Street Journal he received 23.1 million dollars in total compensation in 2011. That’s a lot of money.
What would Jesus say to Mr. McAdam? Would He say; “You earned it. Enjoy it! Go ahead and buy that fourth vacation home in Bora-Bora!”
Or would Jesus say something like; “How about throwing a bone to some hungry people that slept in the subway last night? They might like a hot meal and a new pair of shoes.”
Surely Mr. McAdam can afford to buy a handful of meals and a few pairs of shoes, don’t you think? I’m not saying that he has to give EVERYTHING away, nor would I think Jesus would expect that either. But to completely ignore the plight of the poor, homeless, starving, and the sick is a gross injustice.
When Christ asks him; “You had so much; what did you do with it?” What will McAdam’s answer be?
Remember; this is just an example. I have no idea what Mr. McAdam’s donations to charity are (if any) or what his religious affiliation is (if any). He was just the first rich guy I thought of.
Then Catholic social teaching advocates the use of force. You can’t help the poor with other people’s money unless you first take it away from them.
That is quite a bold statement on your part. You seem to think that nobody would ever use their own money WILLINGLY to help the poor; and that the only way this would work is through the use of force.
Isn’t the Pope calling for us to show a little compassion and generosity? He’s NOT calling for us to take up arms and become a Church full of Robin Hoods - taking other people’s money at gunpoint. That would be ludicrous.