Is reciting the Rosary Blaspheming Jesus?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kellygirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kellygirl

Guest
I was raised Catholic, and in my late teens through my 30’s I was inactive. I have gone back to church and I can’t believe how I survived without going. I am getting so much out of mass, and in speaking with my priest, it is truly a life changing time in my life and I give God all of my praise and thanks…recently, I have taught myself how to pray the rosary and I look forward to my evenings alone in my room right before I go to bed, and I recite the rosary. However, I have heard from a born again Christian that it is a sin to pray the rosary and that praying to our blessed mother is the same as having idols before God. I have done some internet research on the subject and it makes me confused…does anyone have any insight into this? It would break my heart to give up the rosary 😦
 
I can assure you that it is not blaspheming Jesus. This person does not understand what the difference between showing love\asking someone to pray for you and worship.

If we held a service where we in our heart worshipped Mary that would be blaspheming God in a way.

Now singing to others that is showing love, you can do that with people, angels, saints and of course God.

Having a celebration, you can do that for people(birthdays) angels, saints(feastdays) and God as love is for everyone

Asking others to pray for you, you can do that with people, angels, saints but not with God as He answers the prayers.

Worship, we can ask others to worship with us, all the angels and saints and you my brothers and sisters in worshipping the one true God. At Mass.

Does that make sense?

God Bless
Scylla

PM me and I will link to a post I did which explains why the Mass is so cool, and the only proper way to worship God.
 
If praying the Rosary is blasphemy, then it’s parts must be blasphemy. Does your friend think these things are Blasphemy:

meditiating on the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus
invoking the Trinity (sign of the Cross)
the Apostle’s Creed
the Lord’s Prayer
the Glory be
the Fatima prayer (O my Jesus…)
the greeting said by Gabriel in the Bible to Mary (in Luke 1)
the greeting said by ELizabeth in the Bible to Mary (also in Luke 1)
asking for the prayers of a loved one

I would imagine not…

The reason you will see a lot of misinformation and unjust criticism of the Church on the net is because all other churches/denominations left the Catholic Church at some point in history. In order to justify their existence (when the Bible condemns such sects) they must virulently attack the true Church as being in error or even evil. Of course, this contradicts the promises of Our Lord and prophecies of OT saints like Isaiah concerning the Church.
 
The rosary is a form of meditation. While saying the rosary you are focusing on the events that are central to Christ’s life and ministry. How could that be sinful?

Some protestants mistakenly believe that because we say ten hail Mary’s for every Our Father that we are putting Mary higher then Jesus but what they don’t understand is that the whole purpose of the Rosary is to focus on Jesus’ life.
 
I say its NOT blasphemous…the rosary is a powerful prayer especially when you’re in the middle of temptations and trials…

In fact the prayer is biblical…

Ok let’s start in the sign of the cross;

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. (Matthew 28:19)

Next the prayer Jesus Himself taught;

Our Father, who art in heaven hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. (Matthew 6:9)

Next;

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. (Luke 1:28)
Blessed art thou among women (Luke 1:41-42a,Luke 1:48),
Blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus (Luke 1:42b)
Holy Mary, Mother of God (Luke 1:43)
Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen (Luke 2:35, John 2:5)

Time to glorify the all original Catholic doctrine of the Trinity;
(w/c born again-prots borrowed)

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. (Philippians 4:20 )

Let us not be selfish and offer prayers to others;

O my Jesus, forgive us of our sins. Save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls into heaven, especially those in most need of thy mercy. (Said after each decade)

Now which ever day it is the pleases you you can pick on the
mystery on which to meditate the LIFE, PASSION and DEATH of Jesus Christ.

“Joyful Mysteries”(Mon & Sat)

First Decade: The Annunciation of Gabriel to Mary (Luke 1:26-38)
Second Decade: The Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-56)
Third Decade: The Birth of Our Lord (Luke 2:1-21)
Fourth Decade: The Presentation of Our Lord (Luke 2:22-38)
Fifth Decade: The Finding of Our Lord in the Temple (Luke 2:41-52)

“Luminous Mysteries”(Thurs.)

First Decade: The Baptism of Our Lord in the River Jordan (Matthew 3:13-16)
Second Decade: The Wedding at Cana, when Christ manifested Himself (Jn 2:1-11)
Third Decade: The Proclamation of the Kingdom of God (Mark 1:14-15)
Fourth Decade: The Transfiguration of Our Lord (Matthew 17:1-8)
Fifth Decade: The Last Supper, when Our Lord gave us the Holy Eucharist (Mt 26)

“Sorrowful Mysteries”(Tues & Fri)

First Decade: The Agony of Our Lord in the Garden (Matthew 26:36-56)
Second Decade: Our Lord is Scourged at the Pillar (Matthew 27:26)
Third Decade: Our Lord is Crowned with Thorns (Matthew 27:27-31)
Fourth Decade: Our Lord Carries the Cross to Calvary (Matthew 27:32)
Fifth Decade: The Crucifixion of Our Lord (Matthew 27:33-56)

“Glorious Mysteries”(Wed & Sun)

First Decade: The Glorious Resurrection of Our Lord (John 20:1-29)
Second Decade: The Ascension of Our Lord (Luke 24:36-53)
Third Decade: The Descent of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost (Acts 2:1- 41)
Fourth Decade: The Assumption of Mary into Heaven (Sg2:2,10-11)
Fifth Decade: The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth (Gn 3:15a) (Jdt 13:18) (Jdt 15:9) (Rv 12:1) (Sir 24:4) (Sir 14:9) (Cor 4:17) (Lk 8:21)(Gal 4:19)

Shalom!

janry
 
The Rosary is hardly blasphemous! Just the opposite, in fact. The first part is all scripture:

Luke 1:26-28 The angel Gabriel was sent by God to…a virgin…name[d]…Mary. He said, “Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women.”

Luke 1:39-43 Mary…saluted Elizabeth. Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and cried…“Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb! And how have I deserved that the mother of my Lord should come to me.”

The second part addresses Mary directly, asking for her prayers. And if there is anything wrong with asking for others to pray for us, then we are all in a lot of trouble. Yes?

What will help you understand the meaning of the Rosary is to meditate on the Mysteries of the Rosary. They take us through the life of Jesus and Mary as we see them in the Bible, and there can be nothing wrong with that, either.
 
Thanks to all for clearing this up…I feel such a closeness to the Blessed Mother and to Jesus when I pray the rosary and I hate the thought of having to give that up…deep down in my heart and soul I really feel that I need to look to God, not humans, for my spiritual direction and while there are so many wonderful Catholic’s that offer sage advice, I need to always look to the word and the spirit and not let the frailties of the earth-bound sway my beliefs. It has taken me a while to get this around my head, but I am seeing the light.

👍
 
Thanks to all for clearing this up…I feel such a closeness to the Blessed Mother and to Jesus when I pray the rosary and I hate the thought of having to give that up…deep down in my heart and soul I really feel that I need to look to God, not humans, for my spiritual direction and while there are so many wonderful Catholic’s that offer sage advice, I need to always look to the word and the spirit and not let the frailties of the earth-bound sway my beliefs. It has taken me a while to get this around my head, but I am seeing the light.

👍
I am happy that you love to pray the Rosary. It is one of the most powerful prayers - My signature says One Rosary per day, keep Satan away 🙂 and I am trying to not miss any rosary for any day.

Also, about Spiritual direction, God uses people as a tool to spiritually directing us - example: priest. So, we do listen to our priests for spiritual growth. Many times, God does not talk to us directly, but He speaks to us through His chosen ones. Certainly, we still need to listen to pray and listen to Him.
 
Oh and by the way, an idol is something you replace God with.

Or else all images, statues, anything would be wrong to have, even money as it has images on it.
But of course no-one does this as no-one really believes it.

Now anything can be an idol, images, statues, money, people, or even objects such as a car. God must come first and not be replaced by any of these things.

Catholicism is the only consistant teaching on this, every other system by not having a crucifix or any statues contradicts its very objection, by rejecting the truth of Catholicism.

It would be wrong for me to say you shouldn’t have images of anything and still use money. That is a contradiction
Even having a cross or a dove is a symbol of God or something related to Jesus and His sacrifice, to reject it is to contradict truth.
It would be wrong for me to say you cannot sing praises and sing happy birthday to someone. That is a contradiction.
It would be wrong for me to say you cannot ask someone to pray for you(like Mary) and then ask someone on earth to pray for you. Again a contradiction.

We Catholics can do many crummy things, yet that does not change the perfect truth of the teachings of Jesus found in the Catholic Church.
The Church is perfect, it is we people who make it look bad.

God Bless
Scylla
 
Also, about Spiritual direction, God uses people as a tool to spiritually directing us - example: priest. So, we do listen to our priests for spiritual growth. Many times, God does not talk to us directly, but He speaks to us through His chosen ones. Certainly, we still need to listen to pray and listen to Him.
I certainly understand what you are saying here…my past difficulty was taking in other’s opinions that I now know were simply that, opinions, and making me doubt my own faith and principles (which was my fault).

I am learning to sift through the comments of others and keep my eyes, ears and heart focused on my faith and Gods word. And I have a wonderful Priest that I speak with often that has been a spactacular spiritual mentor and guide, as well as other wonderful people that also guide me and that I can seek out for advice and clarity…I am a lucky girl 👍
 
I certainly understand what you are saying here…my past difficulty was taking in other’s opinions that I now know were simply that, opinions, and making me doubt my own faith and principles (which was my fault).

I am learning to sift through the comments of others and keep my eyes, ears and heart focused on my faith and Gods word. And I have a wonderful Priest that I speak with often that has been a spactacular spiritual mentor and guide, as well as other wonderful people that also guide me and that I can seek out for advice and clarity…I am a lucky girl 👍
You are indeed very blessed.
 
All the prayers in the rosary are biblical.

The Hail Mary merely repeats the words of the angel who appeared to Mary.

Jesus loves it when we honor His Mother. And since she occupies a special place and “gets sent out on special missions” [apparitions at Lourdes, Fatima, etc], we can appeal to her to ask her Son to help us with our needs.

Think about the dynamic at the marriage feast at Cana.

The headwaiter did NOT go to Jesus to get help owing to the shortage of wine. Instead the headwaiter went to Mary to get help. And she didn’t even ASK her Son. She, in fact, gave Him a “hard time” … she totally IGNORED Jesus’ objection. He sort of said “no”. But, she ordered the headwaiter to “do whatever He tells you.” I can imagine Jesus sort of saying “Mom, anything for you, even if this isn’t part of the ‘plan’”.

So, rest assured, that Mary has a very special place in Heaven and is a person of special influence with God.
 
Good morning, Kellygirl and et al.

There are some really excellent insights here. I also recite a daily rosary and enjoy it. You might want to consider joining the Dominican Confraternity of the Rosary (totally free) or a similar group.

pacifier.com/~rosarweb/nroscon.htm

FYI: Kudos to Janryboy and others who posted very detailed Scriptural references and prayers related to apparitions for the rosary. Just wanted to warn anyone against using some of these as proofs against blasphemous accusations of the rosary when speaking to non-Catholics/Oxthodox. Some of these references included citations to the Deuterocanonical books, which Protestants do not accept as inspired books. In fact, they insultingly refer to these as the “Apocrypha” or “false” books. You’ll need to avoid using these as proof of anything to Protestants. Remember that they have an overall objection to praying to dead people other than Jesus. Martin Luther used the dumping of the DC books by Jews around his region as justification for the “Apocrypha;” he simply needed an excuse to toss Maccabees out of the Bible, as it showed the righteousness of praying to the dead, and he wished to reject the very ancient belief in the final purification (purgatory).

This explains the rejected books: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterocanonical_books

Also, you will need to avoid non-Biblical prayers in general when trying to justify anything to a non-Catholic/Orthodox. Don’t try to justify anything with apparition-related statements or prayers; they will claim that our belief in these extra-Biblical things shows that we aren’t real Christians. (BTW, Catholics are not required to accept any private revelations anyway.) They will flatly reject the Fatima Prayer for the same reasons that their denominations teach them to reject the rosary itself, as well as all Marionology. Don’t use any Church documents either, as Protestants won’t acknowledge them as creditible sources. Depending on the individual, you may be able to cite statements from Protestant founders, and the writings of the Early Church fathers can be fair game, although any one Protestant is free to acknowledge or reject whatever they like, as each acts as his own pope after “getting saved,” so even these exceptions can turn around and bite you back if you aren’t prepared. When dealing with Protestants, we must primarily defend everything we believe with the universally accepted books of the Bible alone, as these are the only sources Protestants will accept. This is very doable, and any Catholic bookstore will have a ton of apologetics books to help you do this.

Remember, we have the fullness of the faith founded by Christ and handed down through his apostles, so fear not. We have the Truth on our side and the joy of opportunities to clarify when others are confused. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top