Is Satan Real?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TLEtweety
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TLEtweety

Guest
I hope this doesnt seem like a really dumb question, but I’m just wondering what your view of satan is. Do you believe he’s an actual being/entity or do you think he is more like the addictions, chains and worldly things that enitice us or temp us away from God?
 
I hope this doesnt seem like a really dumb question, but I’m just wondering what your view of satan is. Do you believe he’s an actual being/entity or do you think he is more like the addictions, chains and worldly things that enitice us or temp us away from God?
From the Catechism:

[394](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/394.htm’)😉 Scripture witnesses to the disastrous influence of the one Jesus calls “a murderer from the beginning”, who would even try to divert Jesus from the mission received from his Father.273 "The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil."274 In its consequences the gravest of these works was the mendacious seduction that led man to disobey God.

**395 **The power of Satan is, nonetheless, not infinite. He is only a creature, powerful from the fact that he is pure spirit, but still a creature. He cannot prevent the building up of God’s reign. Although Satan may act in the world out of hatred for God and his kingdom in Christ Jesus, and although his action may cause grave injuries - of a spiritual nature and, indirectly, even of a physical nature- to each man and to society, the action is permitted by divine providence which with strength and gentleness guides human and cosmic history. It is a great mystery that providence should permit diabolical activity, but “we know that in everything God works for good with those who love him.”

Whilst lions prowl, it is best not to be fooled into thinking they don’t exist.
 
CCC
391 Behind the disobedient choice of our first parents lurks a seductive voice, opposed to God, which makes them fall into death out of envy.266 Scripture and the Church’s Tradition see in this being a fallen angel, called “Satan” or the “devil”.267 The Church teaches that Satan was at first a good angel, made by God: "The devil and the other demons were indeed created naturally good by God, but they became evil by their own doing."268
 
I hope this doesnt seem like a really dumb question, but I’m just wondering what your view of satan is. Do you believe he’s an actual being/entity or do you think he is more like the addictions, chains and worldly things that enitice us or temp us away from God?
Another small note: Even Jesus used the word “Satan” - it gets to be real.
 
C.S. Lewis believed in Satan. In Mere Christianity he wrote:
I know someone will ask me, “Do you really mean, at this time of day, to reintroduce our old friend, the devil-hoofs and horns and all?” Well, what the time of day has to do with it
I do not know. And I am not particular about the hoofs and horns. But in other respects my answer is, “Yes, I do.” I do not claim to know anything about his appearance. If anybody really wants to know him better I would say to that person, “Don’t worry. If you really want to, you will. Whether you’ll like it when you do is another question.”
 
Yes. From Luke Chapter 22: 31, “And the Lord said: Simon, Simon, behold Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat.(Douay-Rheims Version)” From the Haydock Commentary, “Ver. 31. Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat. In these words is expressed both what Satan desired, and what God permitted. Satan desired leave to tempt them, that he might make them fall from their faith in Christ. Almighty God permitted this temptation, this trial, to convince them how weak they were of themselves: he permitted their frailty to be partly overcome, yet so that rising again by his grace, they should be cleansed and purified as wheat when it is sifted: and that shortly after, being strengthened and confirmed by the coming of the Holy Ghost, they might become new men, enabled to stand firm against all the attacks of their greatest adversaries.”
 
I hope this doesnt seem like a really dumb question, but I’m just wondering what your view of satan is. Do you believe he’s an actual being/entity or do you think he is more like the addictions, chains and worldly things that enitice us or temp us away from God?
[SIGN]Is His Holiness Benedict XVI Catholic?[/SIGN]Yes Catholicism teaches spiritual realities.

How could one believe in angels without believing in their fallen counterparts? Both are portrayed personally in the Bible.
Pax tecum,
 
Yes, he’s real, and he’s very pleased when people think he’s not.
 
Real.

A Christian comedian said there are only three things you need to know about Satan: (1) he’s real; (2) he’s smarter than you; and (3) you don’t have to worry about numbers 1 and 2 because Jesus already has him beat.
 
Yes, very much so.

Please look into “An Exorcist Tells His Story” and its sequel by the head exorcist of Rome, Fr. Amorth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top