Is saving an Image file to your computer stealing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tonaw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sent the Marians an email!

What about religious photos that I have saved overtime and I can’t find out the owner or about copyright issues etc? Should I keep them or delete them? Stealing or not?

And what about printing religious images and putting them in my house, or even if I gave them out to spread devotion if I ever did?

What about photocopying an image and using it?
 
A jesuit priest told me that you can use the pictures for personel use, for posting on social media; facebook, instagram etc., and that it is not copyright infrigment, it violates it when you try to sell whatever picture you have that’s not yours.
 
to me the copyright laws are in many cases unjust laws and useless laws.

I mean when downloading or listening to a song, movie or videogame to me its diferent because it is the whole deal what you are doing, and you are actually doing that to avoid paying for the use.

Using material owned by someone else for your commercial site is the same, you need to pay since you are wanting to get a gaining from it.

But what does it matters if you use a pic from let’s say the rolex website to show a watch in a class project, or if you have it as a desktop image?

or do you imagine the Superman fan page, with only fan arts, or just text?

To me the image stuff is like going torugh a mall, and because you know you dont want to buy a painting, you have to look other way because you are stealing from the artist.
 
Since this is an old thread that appears to have been resurrected, I don’t know how relevant this is to the OP any longer.

But I would refer folks to the Fair Use provisions of the Copyright Law (see this factsheet).
Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair.


  1. *]The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
    *] The nature of the copyrighted work
    *] The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
    *] The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

    The distinction between what is fair use and what is infringement in a particular case will not always be clear or easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission.
 
Since this is an old thread that appears to have been resurrected, I don’t know how relevant this is to the OP any longer.

But I would refer folks to the Fair Use provisions of the Copyright Law (see this factsheet).
Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair.


  1. *]The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
    *] The nature of the copyrighted work
    *] The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
    *] The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

    The distinction between what is fair use and what is infringement in a particular case will not always be clear or easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission.

  1. but what about looking at the images, would it be considered fair use? it certainly is not research or education, but certainly i would consider exagerated if people complained about someone downloading an image to keep it in his PC or to make a poster for his room.
 
but what about looking at the images, would it be considered fair use? it certainly is not research or education, but certainly i would consider exagerated if people complained about someone downloading an image to keep it in his PC or to make a poster for his room.
I’m not entirely sure what u mean by “looking at the images”. Do u mean when people put up copyrighted images onto their websites? If u are, I would say that a person is scrupling over this too much, and not too worry about if one is sinning for looking at a potentially infringing image on a site, since many of them are used “fairly”.

Also, from my understanding, it’s generally fine to use images for personal use, such as putting them up as your desktop wallpaper, or using it as a poster in your own bedroom.
 
but what about looking at the images, would it be considered fair use? it certainly is not research or education, but certainly i would consider exagerated if people complained about someone downloading an image to keep it in his PC or to make a poster for his room.
For example, let us say that you are doing a paper for a college class and wanted to use an AP infographic as a figure in that paper…I would say that you’d be fairly safe in using that graphic…or, for that matter a Getty news image. Why? You are using content for educational use.

Let’s say that you wanted to take an image of your favorite political figure photoshop it into looking like The Joker, that would be fair use because of political commentary. Particularly if you weren’t subsequently selling the image (non-commercial use)

On the other hand, if you wanted to use a large format printer and print out a copy of your favorite model to put up on your wall (so you didn’t have to pay for a poster), that would likely not be fair use, as you would be cheating the copyright owner out of income.

As far as rehosting a picture for use on your own website, again, I think it gets a little touchier…particularly if you have commercialized your website (Google adsense or the like). Again, a lot of it comes up to the purpose of using the work and whether or not your use is commercial or noncommercial.

Having said all of that, there are a whole host of copyright trolls out there who make a living by intimidating people…even when, if the case ever made it to court, it would be viewed as “fair use.” They practice intimidation, knowing that most folks won’t have the resources to fight them…even if the individual would win in court. So keep that in mind and use caution…even if what you want to do is “fair use.” You might not have the money available to defend your rights against the sharks.
 
sorry for reviving this thread but I’m just wondering … what if you want to use a photo as say a background/wallpaper on Facebook? is that ok?
 
I’m confused - why wouldn’t you use your own images for your Facebook page? It seems counterproductive to use someone else’s property to say “This is all about me.” It’s easy enough to take and post your own photos.
 
i know i know, but say i wanted to post like a bible verse or quote. that is in wallpaper format. i have done this before, so have other friends on fb.
 
also just realized i have a jpeg in my CAF signature… should i delete it!!!
 
also just realized i have a jpeg in my CAF signature… should i delete it!!!
If you didn’t receive permission to use it. I guess I am so totally naive - I thought you had painted it yourself. Why would you not paint one for yourself and then use your own?
 
If you didn’t receive permission to use it. I guess I am so totally naive - I thought you had painted it yourself. Why would you not paint one for yourself and then use your own?
Did you paint the icon next to your user name? 😉

I’m not that artistically inclined. I borrowed St. Pius X’s coat of arms for mine. :o
 
sorry for reviving this thread but I’m just wondering … what if you want to use a photo as say a background/wallpaper on Facebook? is that ok?
Have u read the “fair use” provisions yet? It’s what u have to follow when determining what copyrighted material u can use. Also, as for using copyrighted images, it’s generally a good idea to leave a link-back to the source/author of the image, otherwise it is kinda plagiarism, which is a separate issue from copyright infringement.
 
As long as you’re not profiting from it I don’t think it matters.
 
As long as you’re not profiting from it I don’t think it matters.
If you are passing it off as your own and not giving credit, it matters to someone. Plus, it’s just rude to take someone else’s stuff without asking. I caught someone using one of my paintings as their background one time, and I wrote them a note asking why they didn’t let me know. I had been about to destroy that painting because I didn’t think anybody liked it. :confused:
 
If you are passing it off as your own and not giving credit, it matters to someone. Plus, it’s just rude to take someone else’s stuff without asking. I caught someone using one of my paintings as their background one time, and I wrote them a note asking why they didn’t let me know. I had been about to destroy that painting because I didn’t think anybody liked it. :confused:
Well, that too. As long as you’re not profiting from it and/or passing it off as your own.

I knew a guy who would actually do both of those with handcraft items.
 
Well, that too. As long as you’re not profiting from it and/or passing it off as your own.

I knew a guy who would actually do both of those with handcraft items.
Copyright is more complex than that. If you copy something but you are not profiting or plagiarizing it you may still be liable. However, in answer to the actual OP question, no, it is not necessarily stealing just to save an image file to your computer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top