H
Holly3278
Guest
Hey everyone. My friend tells me that smoking cigarettes is a mortal sin because the Catechism says that abusing drugs is gravely sinful. I disagree with him because the context of the passage suggests that it is talking about illegal drugs.
The Catechism also mentions tobacco but only in reference to using it in excess:
So, is smoking cigarettes mortally sinful? If not, how do I prove this to him?
That said, would bumming cigarettes off of someone be mortally sinful? I mean, would it be a sin of greed, selfishness, or something else? If so, is it gravely sinful?
Catechism of the Catholic Church said:**2291 **The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.
The Catechism also mentions tobacco but only in reference to using it in excess:
Catechism of the Catholic Church said:**2290 **The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.
So, is smoking cigarettes mortally sinful? If not, how do I prove this to him?
That said, would bumming cigarettes off of someone be mortally sinful? I mean, would it be a sin of greed, selfishness, or something else? If so, is it gravely sinful?