Is Soul specifically mentioned in Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jean_1958
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jean_1958

Guest
I know the word “trinity” is not specifically mentioned in the Bible, but the concept of it (trinity) is present in the Bible. Someone on another thread mentioned that the word “soul” is not found in the Bible. Is the word “soul” specifically mentioned in the Bible or is the concept of “soul” at least present in the Bible? Could you cite the verses which show “soul” or at least its concept? Thanks.
 
I know the word “trinity” is not specifically mentioned in the Bible, but the concept of it (trinity) is present in the Bible. Someone on another thread mentioned that the word “soul” is not found in the Bible. Is the word “soul” specifically mentioned in the Bible or is the concept of “soul” at least present in the Bible? Could you cite the verses which show “soul” or at least its concept? Thanks.
If you do a word search for “soul” you are going to find 100’s of examples.
There is a different word “spirit” that is also found in large quantities.

For example:
Genes 8:21 And the Lord smelled a sweet savour, and said: I will no more curse the earth for the sake of man: for the imagination and thought of man’s heart are prone to evil from his youth: therefore I will no more destroy every living soul as I have done.

Soul refers to the “life” of a person; For example in the law of Moses, if a man kills another – the “soul” ( “Psyche” in Greek, where we get the word psychology ) of the killer’s own life is forfeit.

Genes 9:5 For I will require the blood of your lives at the hand of every beast, and at the hand of man, at the hand of every man, and of his brother, will I require** the life** of man.
Genes 9:5 (Greek LXX) εκ χειρος ανθρωπου αδελφου εκζητησω την ψυχην του ανθρωπου

The idea of soul in the sense of a “spirit”, shows up in the OT very clearly when speaking about death. The “soul” of an animal returns to the dirt, but that of a man flies upward toward God who created it.

Eccle 3:20 And all things go to one place: of earth they were made, and into earth they return together.
Eccle 3:21 Who knoweth** if the spirit of the children of Adam ascend upward, and if the spirit of the beasts descend downward**?
Eccle 3:22 And I have found that nothing is better than for a man to rejoice in his work, and that this is his portion. For who shall bring him to know the things that shall be after him?
 
One that comes to mind immediately is Psalm 62:

For the leader; al Jeduthun. A psalm of David.

My soul rests in God alone, from whom comes my salvation. God alone is my rock and salvation, my secure height; I shall never fall. How long will you set upon people, all of you beating them down, As though they were a sagging fence or a battered wall? Even from my place on high they plot to dislodge me. They delight in lies; they bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse. Selah. My soul, be at rest in God alone, from whom comes my hope. God alone is my rock and my salvation, my secure height; I shall not fall. My safety and glory are with God, my strong rock and refuge. Trust God at all times, my people! Pour out your hearts to God our refuge! Selah Mortals are a mere breath, the powerful but an illusion; On a balance they rise; together they are lighter than air. Do not trust in extortion; in plunder put no empty hope. Though wealth increase, do not set your heart upon it. One thing God has said; two things I have heard: Power belongs to God; so too, Lord, does kindness, And you render to each of us according to our deeds.

Another one from the NT is “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior” in Luke 1 I think
 
By the way, I use a Catholic NAB Bible but if your friends use a very dynamic translation, indeed the word soul might not appear. Example:
Psalm 62 (Bible=Contemporary English Version)
(A psalm by David for Jeduthun, the music leader.)

God Is Powerful and Kind
Only God can save me,
and I calmly wait for [a] him.
God alone is the mighty rock ** that keeps me safe
and the fortress
where I am secure.
I feel like a shaky fence
or a sagging wall.
How long will all of you
attack and assault me?
You want to bring me down
from my place of honor.
You love to tell lies,
and when your words are kind,
hatred hides in your heart.
Only God gives inward peace,
and I depend on him.
God alone is the mighty rock
that keeps me safe,
and he is the fortress
where I feel secure.
God saves me and honors me.
is that mighty rock
where I find safety.
Trust God, my friends,
and always tell him
each one of your concerns.
God is our place of safety.
We humans are only a breath;
none of us are truly great.
All of us together weigh less
than a puff of air.
Don’t trust in violence
or depend on dishonesty
or rely on great wealth.
I heard God say two things:
“I am powerful,
and I am very kind.”
The Lord rewards each of us
according to what we do.**
 
I know the word “trinity” is not specifically mentioned in the Bible, but the concept of it (trinity) is present in the Bible. Someone on another thread mentioned that the word “soul” is not found in the Bible. Is the word “soul” specifically mentioned in the Bible or is the concept of “soul” at least present in the Bible? Could you cite the verses which show “soul” or at least its concept? Thanks.
Some obvious examples that comes to mind are from the funeral readings:

Wisdom 3:1 “The souls of the just are in the hand of God…”

Lamentations 3:17 “My soul is deprived of peace…”

You can do a word search for the New American Bible here
usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml

It returned 142 results total.

No, I won’t type them all…😉
 
I know the word “trinity” is not specifically mentioned in the Bible, but the concept of it (trinity) is present in the Bible. Someone on another thread mentioned that the word “soul” is not found in the Bible. Is the word “soul” specifically mentioned in the Bible or is the concept of “soul” at least present in the Bible? Could you cite the verses which show “soul” or at least its concept? Thanks.
Examples have already been given so I want to say that the Seven Day Adventists and Christadelphians love to attack us on this word “Soul” which sometimes is translated “Spirit”. They believe in a doctrine called “Soul Sleeping”. This concept plays into their idea of the end times prophecies. I’ve debated them on this in the past. Your question made me think of this. To see this look at this website under “Doctrines” #7: caic.org.au/biblebase/chrsdels/christadel-grigg.htm
 
Interesting that I ran across this while just starting the Jeff Cavins series on the Psalms. You cite the Psalms but don’t realize that they are songs to God. When at Mass the responsorial psalm is sung or said and it is the ultimate response we can gine to God.
 
Matthew 10:28

And fear ye not them that kill the body, and are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him that can destroy both soul and body in hell.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top