Is striving for success immoral?

• Thread starter Thread starter saintlouisblues19
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saintlouisblues19

So I have been studying the stock market for several months and I work my butt off everyday to learn as much as I can, I want to trade stocks when I get older. But someone told me the rich man can’t go to heaven. Now I’m not saying I’m gonna be rich, but is striving for a successful career immoral if it makes a lot of money? ($300k+/year) Would donating a lot of money and still keeping God as your biggest focus change this? Thanks but hearing this kind of set me off on the wrong foot looking ahead

There’s nothing wrong with success, the problem would be misusing people and abusing people for that success.

But keeping God first and donating a lot of money even if you are pursuing a lot of money is okay?

the rich man can’t go to heaven
I think He said it would be easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle then for a rich man to get into heaven.

Remember a rich man asked Jesus what do I need to get into heaven… Jesus said, give away all you own and follow me… the man couldn’t do that so he didn’t.

As long as being rich isn’t more important to you then following Jesus, you’ll be fine. Thank God, if the stock market is the businesses you want to get into, they are closed on Sunday. 😉

Last edited:
Striving for success has been on my mind since the late 70’s. I have contemplated the gospel on the rich and the lives of the saints and the poor.
If we are moral in our decisions and we don’t violate the ten commandments why would success be any problem?
However, owning things, beyond our absolute necessities, can be heavy on the soul. Material things tie us to the earth. Freedom from material things can be a liberating existence.
I believe it is God’s will to develop our talents. Most of that requires money.

No, it is not immoral.

I would argue that a person with any ambition MUST strive for success; otherwise we cede “success” to those whose ambition is unconstrained by morality. It is infinitely better if those we view as “successful” are morally upright people.

“Success” is a relative term. I knew a very astute, wise man who was a devout Catholic and a business professor. His students used to say to him things like “I want to be a millionaire one day.” He would ask them why, and they’d usually say things like “I want to have a lake house;” or cars or a yacht. He’d respond, “you don’t want to make a million dollars; you want to spend a million dollars.” There’s wisdom in that: We’re much more than what we buy. To me, “success” is doing everything you do, as well as you can do it: Let everything you do be for God’s glory. Or as Ross Perot said, “if you’re a chicken plucker, be the best chicken plucker there is.”

Last edited:
From the Gospel of Matthew:
25:15. And to one he gave five talents, and to another two, and to another one, to every one according to his proper ability: and immediately he took his journey.

25:16. And he that had received the five talents went his way and traded with the same and gained other five.

25:17. And in like manner he that had received the two gained other two.

25:18. But he that had received the one, going his way, digged into the earth and hid his lord’s money.

25:19. But after a long time the lord of those servants came and reckoned with them.

25:20. And he that had received the five talents coming, brought other five talents, saying: Lord, thou didst deliver to me five talents. Behold I have gained other five over and above.

25:21. His lord said to him: Well done, good and faithful servant, because thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will place thee over many things. Enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

25:22. And he also that had received the two talents came and said: Lord, thou deliveredst two talents to me. Behold I have gained other two.

25:23. His lord said to him: Well done, good and faithful servant: because thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will place thee over many things. Enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

25:24. But he that had received the one talent, came and said: Lord, I know that thou art a hard man; thou reapest where thou hast not sown and gatherest where thou hast not strewed.

25:25. And being afraid, I went and hid thy talent in the earth. Behold here thou hast that which is thine.

25:26. And his lord answering, said to him: Wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sow not and gather where I have not strewed.

but is striving for a successful career immoral if it makes a lot of money? ($300k+/year) Would donating a lot of money and still keeping God as your biggest focus change this?
All you can do is all you can do. The rest is up to God.

So I have been studying the stock market for several months and I work my butt off everyday to learn as much as I can, I want to trade stocks when I get older. But someone told me the rich man can’t go to heaven. Now I’m not saying I’m gonna be rich, but is striving for a successful career immoral if it makes a lot of money? ($300k+/year) Would donating a lot of money and still keeping God as your biggest focus change this? Thanks but hearing this kind of set me off on the wrong foot looking ahead
Depends highly on your WHY. Do you want to be wealthy because you want to live extravagantly or because you want to have eight children and live comfortably, which would undoubtedly be expensive.

someone told me the rich man can’t go to heaven
I woiuld define success as using the talents which God gave you as best you can, and always in a moral way.

Tom Monaghan founded Domino’s Pizza and became fabulously wealthy. He also has contributed a tremendous amount of money to the Church and Church related mattes, as well as other charitable work. I can’t say he is going to get to heaven any more than the next guy down the pike; but he certainly has done a tremendous amount of good.

Good luck with stock trading. Statistics have been impacted (hopefully positively) since many brokerages have gone to minimal costs of a trade.

Giving credence to the mantra that there are lies, da&%ed lies, and statistics, “all” traders start with the dream to get rich quickly. 40% trade for only one month (and almost all end up blowing up their account). 80% of all traders have stopped trading within the first two years. After 5 years only 7% remain; and previously due to high trading costs, only 1% could profit net of fees. If you ant more info, p.m. me. I trade.

Remember a rich man asked Jesus what do I need to get into heaven… Jesus said, give away all you own and follow me… the man couldn’t do that so he didn’t.
And
it would be easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle then for a rich man to get into heaven.
Most Catholic clergy are poor, but aren’t there Catholic clergy with luxurious beach houses given to them by relatives or friends? Are we supposed to give away everything we own and join the homeless to live in the street in order to enter heaven? What about a tent. Can we keep a tent to live in on the street or do we have to give that away also? Do you believe and follow what is written here in Scripture?
It says to give away ALL you own and follow me. Isn’t it possible to follow Jesus and to keep a few of the things you own? For example, i have the 11 volume series: The Story of Civilization by Will Durant and Ariel Durant. I also have a few other books. It seems odd that i would be required to give all of these wonderful books away to enter heaven. And I need a bicycle to travel from place to place.

Last edited:
Isn’t it possible to follow Jesus and to keep a few of the things you own?
I believe Jesus was just saying that to that one man… not ever person in the world. Maybe Jesus knew that man was the type of person who thought his riches was more important then anything else… so Jesus had to tell him to give it all away… as a type of test.

Did you miss the part when I said “As long as being rich isn’t more important to you then following Jesus, you’ll be fine.”

I don’t believe Jesus wants us all to be poor. If we were all poor then who would feed and clothes, the hungry and naked?

Last edited:
Its said that a lot of these people never enjoy their success because at some point it controls them and they spend all their time protecting it and increasing it - sort of like a hoarder. When is enough enough. As long as it does not control you where it becomes hoarding and obsessive and knowing when enough is enough. Some of these people hardly ever see their family. Just how much does a person need to say I have enough now I am going to enjoy life. Some people will work to their very last day never enjoying life when they had more than enough to do so. I have even heard people say I wonder what job I will have in heaven so they even expect work there - remember it was a punishment put on us.
As long as you take the time to live life and not become its slave.

It depends on why you want to be a stockbroker, I suppose, and what you intend to do with your wealth when and if you get it. But that question could be asked of any person in any profession.

@saintlouisblues19
If the last goal of your effort are only success and wealth then it is sin.
It also depends what is in your heart so you will have to discuss it with priest.

It depends on your motives:
To give to others/donate to the Church is awesome
To do it to have a comfortable lifestyle or be looked upon with respect from others is obviously bad

If God still comes first, and your motivation is right, go for it! Otherwise if your intentions are selfish or to get praise from others or if it takes away from your relationship with God, I’d rethink it.

I’ve always thought it fascinating that Jesus said “the rich” not “those who make a lot of money” You can make a lot of money and give it away and not be considered “rich”

“When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Luke 18:22)

I don’t think Jesus was upset that the man had made a lot of money; but was disappointed the man valued his money and temporary possessions more than helping others and following Jesus. Pray about it; we are all called to different occupations and ways to serve God!

Last edited:
We certainly should not cede all success, wealth and power to evil people. Fo well by working hard and acting ethically and morally. One day perhaps you can employ others and treat them very well, which is a great thing to do. Study the sins and virtues and remember which to practice.

It is goal only if you chose to have it as goal. Noone else decides for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back