Is suffering really necessary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter esmac
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

esmac

Guest
I sometimes think the two men crucified with Jesus represents all of humanity…both were sinners…one chose to believe while the one on the left mocked and denied, but both clearly suffered.

I think it means suffering is inevitable for all of us in this world.

I would like to know more about the mystery of suffering just to help me makes sense of my own suffering, mainly with loneliness.

Any book ideas? Surely there was a best seller in years past about the topic.

Suggestions and feedback are appreciated!

ES
 
I sometimes think the two men crucified with Jesus represents all of humanity…both were sinners…one chose to believe while the one on the left mocked and denied, but both clearly suffered.

I think it means suffering is inevitable for all of us in this world.

I would like to know more about the mystery of suffering just to help me makes sense of my own suffering, mainly with loneliness.

Any book ideas? Surely there was a best seller in years past about the topic.

Suggestions and feedback are appreciated!

ES
I think suffering leads to humility. I want to say I believe suffering purifies your intentions. If you are willing to suffer for something, I think it shows you care.
 
Being fairly experienced in this area myself, I would say we need to look at it in at least two different ways: the aspect of suffering that we can change and that which we have no control over and have to offer up to God.

Sometimes, with loneliness, for example, there are things we can do, when we eventually come to a realization through one of God’s messages be it books, HS, family, friends, etc. to change our situation and suffer less.

That said, two of my favorite sources on the subject of suffering are not specifically books per se. One is an apostolic letter by JPII “On the Christian Meaning of Human Suffering”. It can be found on the EWTN website or on Vatican website and elsewhere. Secondly, I highly recommend a mini-book written by Mother Angelica a long long time ago…well depends how long you consider a long time ago. 🙂 Let me find the name at my bookcase…

It’s called “The Healing Power of Suffering”.

I recommend these two sources.

May El Divno Nino give you a special blessing today!
 
I think suffering leads to humility. I want to say I believe suffering purifies your intentions. If you are willing to suffer for something, I think it shows you care.
But not all suffering, particularly the bodily kind, is even “for” anything.

That’s usually what folks want the explanations for.

ICXC NIKA
 
I sometimes think the two men crucified with Jesus represents all of humanity…both were sinners…one chose to believe while the one on the left mocked and denied, but both clearly suffered.

I think it means suffering is inevitable for all of us in this world.

I would like to know more about the mystery of suffering just to help me makes sense of my own suffering, mainly with loneliness.

Any book ideas? Surely there was a best seller in years past about the topic.

Suggestions and feedback are appreciated!

ES
Check this out:
amazon.com/Agape-The-Divinizing-Love-Pitcharan/dp/product-description/1482817780/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books
 
Greetings,

I would only add to what has already been said.

There are two perspectives on suffering.

The first comes from Christ’s own words if I may paraphrase, “If the world has treated me this way, how do you think it will treat you? The servant is not better than the master.”

The conclusion: If you life a life of truth, the world will want to make you suffer for it.

The second comes from the aforementioned thief, Dismas who defended Christ and asked to gain entrance into His Kingdom.

The conclusion: Suffering is an invitation to change your perspective and your life.

Cheers,
Curundu
 
There is a church-approved book called The Mystical City of God, which claims that, in the beginning, we human beings were created without the ability to suffer. When we became sinful beings, God gave us suffering to help us better comprehend the harmful effects of sin. This allows and encourages us to fight it more effectively.

I forgot which chapter this little detail is recorded in, but it’s in there somewhere. :yup:
 
by Fr. Edward LeenWhy the Cross?. From the back of the book:

Jesus Christ’s death on the Cross is the central act of human existence which links every act of suffering, self-giving, or self-denial with God Himself. The author, a Redemptorist priest who wrote on the eve of World War II, forcefully makes the connection between the Crucifixion as the horrible expiation for all sins and the need for ordinary faithful to willingly embrace suffering in its various forms to find their way to God.

Leen shows how the problem of obtaining happiness is intrinsically bound up with the problem of pain. Sacrifices undertaken for faith do not make one unhappy, if that faith is made a reality in the constant and ordinary activities of life. “Too many use their religion as medicine and not as food,” Leen writes. “They make of it a remedy for evil and not a means to good.”

Leen is very readable, and he doesn’t waste words. It’s packed with good theology but in a style easy to understand.
 
I think suffering leads to humility. I want to say I believe suffering purifies your intentions. If you are willing to suffer for something, I think it shows you care.
Rather than suffering leading to humility, I see suffering as an expression of humility.

As a person who suffers from chronic, clinical depression, I am often beset with suicidal thoughts and ideation. The temptation is to try to lessen my suffering by ending my life on my terms, rather than God’s terms. Instead, I choose to continue suffering throughout my life as an act of humility before God. If it were God’s will that I die, it would be so. Since I have not died, I must conclude that it is God’s will that I live, and so I exercise the gift of humility to submit to God’s will. In so doing, I choose to live in accordance with God’s will, rather than to die in accordance with my own.

Likewise, although I am frequently beset by terrible loneliness and feelings of inadequacy, I am not naive enough to avoid the realization that there are still people who love me and deeply desire my presence in their lives. As an expression of love, I choose to continue to suffer in life a little more so that they may suffer a little less.

You see, that’s the thing about living in constant suffering: you can choose to end the suffering at practically any time. However, it is only by choosing to endure your suffering that you are free to do good and show love to those around you.
 
Rather than suffering leading to humility, I see suffering as an expression of humility.

As a person who suffers from chronic, clinical depression, I am often beset with suicidal thoughts and ideation. The temptation is to try to lessen my suffering by ending my life on my terms, rather than God’s terms. Instead, I choose to continue suffering throughout my life as an act of humility before God. If it were God’s will that I die, it would be so. Since I have not died, I must conclude that it is God’s will that I live, and so I exercise the gift of humility to submit to God’s will. In so doing, I choose to live in accordance with God’s will, rather than to die in accordance with my own.

Likewise, although I am frequently beset by terrible loneliness and feelings of inadequacy, I am not naive enough to avoid the realization that there are still people who love me and deeply desire my presence in their lives. As an expression of love, I choose to continue to suffer in life a little more so that they may suffer a little less.

You see, that’s the thing about living in constant suffering: you can choose to end the suffering at practically any time. However, it is only by choosing to endure your suffering that you are free to do good and show love to those around you.
That’s an insightful and valuable perspective. Thanks for sharing it with us.
 
I don’t know if it’s necessary but suffering is a part of life. How we endure it is our choice. We can lash out at God or use our suffering to get closer to God.

“And I saw a river over which every soul must pass to reach the Kingdom of Heaven, and the name of that river was Suffering; and I saw a boat which carried souls across the river, and the name of that boat was Love.”
  • St. John of the Cross.
 
I am impressed with many of the responses thank you! 🙂

How does one successfully embrace suffering?

Since suffering is something that’s not going away how do I make the most of it?

Please let me know from your own personal experience or what saints have said about it or scholars have interpreted it from the Bible?

Your insight is appreciated and makes me feel I’m not alone, even though physically I am alone. :o
 
I am impressed with many of the responses thank you! 🙂

How does one successfully embrace suffering?

Since suffering is something that’s not going away how do I make the most of it?

Please let me know from your own personal experience or what saints have said about it or scholars have interpreted it from the Bible?

Your insight is appreciated and makes me feel I’m not alone, even though physically I am alone. :o
Look beyond the material world and invite Jesus to walk the road of suffering with you. Then, you will not be alone but it takes the constant application of faith to get through this road. I know, easier said than done, but for this pray for graces.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top