A pertinent question is this: Are your possessions getting in your way of living the life Christ wants you to live?
Is your situation blinding you to the plight of others? Do you reply on yourself instead of God? Is your attitude one of generosity or one of greed?
These sorts of questions always confuse me. I could say, YES, I am blinded to the plights of others because I did not choose, like Mother Theresa, to live in the midst of those in greatest suffering in my own city. And because I surround my family with a nice house, nice neighborhood, nice school, nice (a lavish) Parish - though I am aware of beggars on street corners and food banks in my community, I am truly blind to the deep financial sufferings others have much of the time.
So based on that logic, I could say I am greedy and very ungenerous and so to maximize my generosity, I should reduce our lifestyle to only the essentials - cave family style in order to no longer be blind and help the plight of others.
Yet, the Church does not set this example. It does withhold it’s lavish lands, architecture, art and all those maintenance fees from helping the financially needy. In most cases in the US, the Church does not follow St. Francis’ or Mother Theresa’s example - though it applauds these examples.
So with those questions, I could be found mainly guilty as charged, and I think most of the Church along with our saintly popes (who fly in helicopters, wear beautiful clothing, live and/or use the palace gardens and castles for recreation, surrounded by servants and guards dressed in stunning uniforms) could be as well. Even Pope Francis who is especially emphasizing the plight of the poor still lives far more lavishly than I could possibly hope to live (even if he sleeps in an apartment, he still lives in a palace that he is not dissembling).
So these questions above may not be phrased correctly for final judgment purposes. While the financial plights of others must not be forgotten, lavishness must have it’s place and it must be good.
And this is a strange thought for me who grew up thinking the minimalism of St. John the Baptist, the Holy Family (Who were not lavish by today’s standards), St. Francis and Mother Theresa were the bar we all should aspire to by detachment and letting go to help the financial plights of others. But for the most part, the Church does not follow this extreme minimalist example, deciding instead to keep much of its temporal superabundance it has been given.