Is taking items extremely marginal value without permission theft?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pieman333272
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to bump this thread again instead of creating a new one, sorry to the mods if they mind. Would taking small amounts of change off the ground (let’s say coins less than a dollar), if it clearly wasn’t dropped by anybody in the near vicinity, be theft? I do this sometimes and it has become a source of worry for me.
 
I’m going to bump this thread again instead of creating a new one, sorry to the mods if they mind. Would taking small amounts of change off the ground (let’s say coins less than a dollar), if it clearly wasn’t dropped by anybody in the near vicinity, be theft? I do this sometimes and it has become a source of worry for me.
Dismiss the scruple.

Scruples are to be dismissed not argued with.

For such small stuff - there is no reasonable way to know whose it was to return it. No need.
 
Also to give you some general guidance on theft:

The Catechism notes that:

“The seventh commandment forbids theft, that is, usurping another’s property against the reasonable will of the owner. There is no theft if consent can be presumed…”

That should help with some of your questions.

Also since you mention scruples - you need to make sure you have a regular confessor who can guide you -knowing your difficulties - such is the age old practice in the Church.
 
Even if it wasn’t theft, if the person finds this out, he may take offense and stop trusting you in many things.
I think taking several french fries isn’t an issue, but using their shampoo without asking might be offensive them if they find out, not because you used their property,but because you were taking something from them without their consent and without their knowing. If this happened to me, I would wonder what else they could be taking.
Like lying, it is an offense because it is detrimental to human relationships.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top