Is the Epiphany Jan. 3 or Jan. 6?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lampo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lampo

Guest
We celebrated the Epiphany today at Mass. I was told the Epiphany is actually Jan. 6. Thanks for the clarification in advance.
 
Canon Law 1246:
§2. With the prior approval of the Apostolic See, however, the conference of bishops can suppress some of the holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday.

This means your bishop conference can move a holy day of obligation to the nearest Sunday with Vatican approval.

For more details please click here.

The Epiphany is Jan 6.
Here in Australia, we also celebrated the Epiphany on Sunday 3rd

God Bless
 
The Epiphany is the twelfth day of Christmas, January 6th. It can be transferred (“observed”) on the nearest Sunday in some places. I’d prefer it to be celebrated on its proper day.
 
For those who celebrate the Extraordinary Form of the Mass and observe the old calendar, Epiphany is celebrated on January 6.

For those who celebrate the Ordinary Form of the Mass, I think it depends what diocese you live in. Where I live it is celebrated on Sunday.
 
We celebrated it at our parish today. I still plan to give my husband and daughter Epiphany gifts on Tuesday. 👍
 
For whatever it’s worth, the Epiphany is still celebrated on January 6th at the Vatican. In fact, EWTN will carry the live broadcast of the Papal Mass at about 3AM (Texas time). I may try to figure out how to work my sleep time so that I can watch it. I do not have TiVo. :mad:
 
In Canada the Church celebrated Epiphany today but in many places it’s a secular celebration that will be celebrated on the 6th.

In Labrador, it’s known in a lot of communities as “Old Christmas” and it’s usually the last day for Christmas parties and mummering. In the Inuit communities, where the Moravians were the first Christian presence, it’s also known as “Nalujuk Day”
The following excerpt is from “LABRADOR STUDIES The Labrador Inuit” on page 200.
Festivals
Special Moravian feast days gradually blended with Inuit traditions. Masked nalujuit (singular nalujuk) are still seen in Labrador’s Moravian villages on the night of “Old Christmas” (January 6). Children enjoy taunting and chasing after these tormentors, who try to capture them and make them sing a song to gain their release.
In the past, however, it was believed that nalujuit represented the change from heathenism to Christianity. These masked “spirit-figures” would visit the village at the end of the Christmas gathering, just before families returned to live in more traditional ways “on the land”. Nalujuit entered from the east, carrying walking sticks and small gifts (as did the Three Wise Men), reminding children to act in a Christian way, even after they have left the settlement. Children were expected to respond by singing a hymn, showing their commitment to Christianity. “Bad” children might be punished; “good” children would be rewarded. This action by the nalujuit relates to Suporgoksoak, the feared and respected spirit who was thought to give game to those who behaved properly. Converted Inuit adapted this idea, combining behaviour control with the story of the Three Wise Men, in the figure of nalujuk.
 
For those who attend the OF, today was the Epiphany in Maine. I will have the privilege of serving our EF Mass for the Epiphany on January 6.
 
For whatever it’s worth, the Epiphany is still celebrated on January 6th at the Vatican. In fact, EWTN will carry the live broadcast of the Papal Mass at about 3AM (Texas time). I may try to figure out how to work my sleep time so that I can watch it. I do not have TiVo. :mad:
I’ll be watching the EWTN Epiphany Papal Mass broadcast at 1 a.m. (California time). My parish celebrated it this weekend.
 
I know some other feasts are frequently treated in similar fashion. Example - the feast of the Ascension, being 40 days after Easter Sunday, naturally falls on a Thursday. However, here in Oz, and in at least some parts of the US, the feast is translated to the following Sunday.
 
The Epiphany is the twelfth day of Christmas, January 6th. It can be transferred (“observed”) on the nearest Sunday in some places. I’d prefer it to be celebrated on its proper day.
Me too. It makes me feel more in communion with my Orthodox brothers and sisters in Christ.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top