Is the Everybody loves Raymond introduction offensive?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MH84
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MH84

Guest
You guys know the Everybody loves raymond intro…I have wondered about this for a while, because the music Ode to Joy sounds like Christian symphony? I never used to worry about it when I was younger, but now I’ve often wondered.
 
Ode to Joy is the 4th movement of Beethoven’s 9th symphony. It’s a piece of secular music with words from Friedrich Schiller’s poem. Although the poem contains some mention of God it is not a prayer, nor is it particularly religious.

The tune from the 9th symphony has been used to create Christian hymns, but it wasn’t how it was originally composed.

So, yeah, there’s no problem with it being the theme song.
 
You guys know the Everybody loves raymond intro…I have wondered about this for a while, because the music Ode to Joy sounds like Christian symphony? I never used to worry about it when I was younger, but now I’ve often wondered.
no.
 
Thanks for the really informative posts… including yours thechrismyster 🙂
 
I haven’t seen that show in a while, but the show, although funny at times, makes men look like big dummies, who need the approval and permission of their wives to do anything. Everything Raymond says is virtually always wrong…getting endless eye rolls from Debra. Depicting men as wimpy, and stupid–it seems to be the way sitcoms are these days.🤷
 
I haven’t seen that show in a while, but the show, although funny at times, makes men look like big dummies, who need the approval and permission of their wives to do anything. Everything Raymond says is virtually always wrong…getting endless eye rolls from Debra. Depicting men as wimpy, and stupid–it seems to be the way sitcoms are these days.🤷
Yeah I miss the days of Steve Urkel too :D.

Anyway, I like the ELR, but I do sense a tone of irreverence towards the religion at times even though it may be mild by other peoples standards.
 
That show was laugh out loud funny. I didn’t think it made men look stupid so much as it showcased how many households really are run by the women.

What I liked about the show was that it was about FAMILIES that were imperfect, but faithful and really tried to keep the relationships going despite the maddening quirks and eccentricities of the individual members.

(Which was the source of much of the humor.) At its heart, this show was a VERY good show.

Desperate Housewives was an improvement?
 
I haven’t seen that show in a while, but the show, although funny at times, makes men look like big dummies, who need the approval and permission of their wives to do anything. Everything Raymond says is virtually always wrong…getting endless eye rolls from Debra. Depicting men as wimpy, and stupid–it seems to be the way sitcoms are these days.🤷
We don’t???
 
I haven’t seen that show in a while, but the show, although funny at times, makes men look like big dummies, who need the approval and permission of their wives to do anything. Everything Raymond says is virtually always wrong…getting endless eye rolls from Debra. Depicting men as wimpy, and stupid–it seems to be the way sitcoms are these days.🤷
I agree, except that it has always been A pattern in sitcoms. But now it seems to be the pattern for MOST sitcoms. I call these types of sitcoms the “fat guy, hot wife” sitcoms. The orginal was the Honeymooners, which if you haven’t seen them were very funny. Raymond is one, King of Queens, Simpsons, Family Guy, that one with Belushi, the list goes on. The guy is usually but not always fat, but the wife is almost always very attractive, and always portrayed as smart, and kind, and correct, while the guy is silly, childish, etc.

Why is this? People think its funny, I guess.
 
I agree, except that it has always been A pattern in sitcoms. But now it seems to be the pattern for MOST sitcoms. I call these types of sitcoms the “fat guy, hot wife” sitcoms. The orginal was the Honeymooners, which if you haven’t seen them were very funny. Raymond is one, King of Queens, Simpsons, Family Guy, that one with Belushi, the list goes on. The guy is usually but not always fat, but the wife is almost always very attractive, and always portrayed as smart, and kind, and correct, while the guy is silly, childish, etc.

Why is this? People think its funny, I guess.
Yep…we need more I Love Lucy sitcoms, so we can laugh at “silly, childish” women as well. 🙂
 
We don’t???
😛 Ok. Well, maybe soooometimes.;)😃 I really used to think the show was adorable and Raymond is very funny…but, over time, he seemed to never do anything right, and I remember the episodes when he is about to say something important, and Debra would just stare him down…

Can that happen in a marriage? Sure. But, it just seemed overkill to me, and that’s why I stopped watching it.
 
I agree, except that it has always been A pattern in sitcoms. But now it seems to be the pattern for MOST sitcoms. I call these types of sitcoms the “fat guy, hot wife” sitcoms. The orginal was the Honeymooners, which if you haven’t seen them were very funny. Raymond is one, King of Queens, Simpsons, Family Guy, that one with Belushi, the list goes on. The guy is usually but not always fat, but the wife is almost always very attractive, and always portrayed as smart, and kind, and correct, while the guy is silly, childish, etc.

Why is this? People think its funny, I guess.
Exactly…why don’t we ever see sitcoms or any shows where the guy is ‘hot,’ and the wife is eh…just ok, or overweight? It’s very rare, if ever, have I seen a movie/sitcom/tv show showing that depiction. Not sure what that means exactly, though??:hmmm: Not that looks is important, in the duration of a marriage…but, it does make me wonder why that balance is so askew?
 
patricia heaton who plays ray’s wife is a catholic and has a sister a nun, i think that is why some chapters have religious tones. i love it, the show that is.
 
😛 Ok. Well, maybe soooometimes.;)😃 I really used to think the show was adorable and Raymond is very funny…but, over time, he seemed to never do anything right, and I remember the episodes when he is about to say something important, and Debra would just stare him down…

Can that happen in a marriage? Sure. But, it just seemed overkill to me, and that’s why I stopped watching it.
I always wondered why Ray was portrayed as so ‘dumb’ because he was a sports writer for a newspaper right? So he couldn’t have been too slow.
 
I always wondered why Ray was portrayed as so ‘dumb’ because he was a sports writer for a newspaper right? So he couldn’t have been too slow.
exactly!🙂 I do watch it now and again, I shouldn’t say I never watch it…but it’s pretty rare. I just think there are better things on tv…(aren’t there?) lol:D
 
😛 Ok. Well, maybe soooometimes.;)😃 I really used to think the show was adorable and Raymond is very funny…but, over time, he seemed to never do anything right, and I remember the episodes when he is about to say something important, and Debra would just stare him down…

Can that happen in a marriage? Sure. But, it just seemed overkill to me, and that’s why I stopped watching it.
I’m sure that was part of the humor involved; take a wee bit of truth, and blow it out of proportion.

The episode about Ray’s dad being an usher, and Ray finding out just what the ushers do in their parish was too funny!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top