B
Bran_Stark
Guest
I was looking at De Trinitate by St. Hilary of Poitiers, and came across this passage (Book XII, par. 55):
It was my understanding that we certainly should “refuse to say that the Holy Spirit was begotten”, as the Athanasian Creed states:But, for my part, I cannot be content by the service of my faith and voice, to deny that my Lord and my God, Thy Only-begotten, Jesus Christ, is a creature; I must also deny that this name of ‘creature’ belongs to Thy Holy Spirit, seeing that He proceeds from Thee and is sent through Him, so great is my reverence for everything that is Thine. Nor, because I know that Thou alone art unborn and that the Only-begotten is born of Thee, will I refuse to say that the Holy Spirit was begotten, or assert that He was ever created.
So, what’s going on here? Is this just a bad translation? Or did Hilary mess up?The Father is made of none : neither created, nor begotten.
The Son is of the Father alone : not made, nor created, but begotten.
The Holy Ghost is of the Father and of the Son : neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.