A
Abigail
Guest
Dear CAF Posters:
I have spent some time on this forum, reading posts related to the Mass and our obligation to attend. I have some questions, and hope I will receive some thoughtful answers. I am NOT posting to rile people, and I don’t have an “agenda.” I just want to broaden my view based on what other people have thought about these things.
Our Church teaches that the Mass is a great gift from God. That it is a re-presentation of Calvary, and by it we participate in and receive the benefits of Christ’s sacrifice for us. Mystically, that is an awesome thought.
BUT, we humans are frequently unable, for various reasons, to appreciate the reality of this mystery. This gives rise to my two questions.
QUESTION ONE: Is the Mass a gift, or an obligation? It can’t be both. No one gives a gift while requiring that the recipient receive it. A gift is freely given, and freely received.
QUESTION TWO: If Mass is an obligation, what excuses us from attendance, and why? I have heard many people on this forum opine that a Catholic must attend mass unless it is IMPOSSIBLE. For those who feel that way, how would you deal with the following situations?
A family decides to go skiing. They call ahead and discover there is a Mass on Saturday at the resort. When they arrive, they find that Mass has been cancelled. There is another Mass in a nearby town, and a private pilot is willing to take them there for $5,000. If the Mass is truly Calvary, the most important thing on earth, wouldn’t it be more important than $5,000? Would it make a difference if the family were rich and $5,000 was not important? If so, why? Wouldn’t it be equally important for a poor family to bottom out their savings to attend Calvary?
Similar situation. A family intends to go to Mass, but their car breaks down. They don’t have any money, but they have $5,000 in credit on their credit cards. They can buy a used car for that, but they won’t be able to make the payments. But shouldn’t they do that, if Mass if really Calvary. Who would forego standing with Christ at the cross for $5,000, even if they couldn’t repay it?
OK. Some of you are going to say at this point that I’m being snarky. I assure you that I am not. If Mass is truly the equivalent of Calvary, such that we should not miss it unless it is IMPOSSIBLE, just what does that mean? And why? I read a story about a paraplegic in Africa who dragged herself many miles so she could go to Mass. That is laudable. Is it required? If so, why or why not?
I have spent some time on this forum, reading posts related to the Mass and our obligation to attend. I have some questions, and hope I will receive some thoughtful answers. I am NOT posting to rile people, and I don’t have an “agenda.” I just want to broaden my view based on what other people have thought about these things.
Our Church teaches that the Mass is a great gift from God. That it is a re-presentation of Calvary, and by it we participate in and receive the benefits of Christ’s sacrifice for us. Mystically, that is an awesome thought.
BUT, we humans are frequently unable, for various reasons, to appreciate the reality of this mystery. This gives rise to my two questions.
QUESTION ONE: Is the Mass a gift, or an obligation? It can’t be both. No one gives a gift while requiring that the recipient receive it. A gift is freely given, and freely received.
QUESTION TWO: If Mass is an obligation, what excuses us from attendance, and why? I have heard many people on this forum opine that a Catholic must attend mass unless it is IMPOSSIBLE. For those who feel that way, how would you deal with the following situations?
A family decides to go skiing. They call ahead and discover there is a Mass on Saturday at the resort. When they arrive, they find that Mass has been cancelled. There is another Mass in a nearby town, and a private pilot is willing to take them there for $5,000. If the Mass is truly Calvary, the most important thing on earth, wouldn’t it be more important than $5,000? Would it make a difference if the family were rich and $5,000 was not important? If so, why? Wouldn’t it be equally important for a poor family to bottom out their savings to attend Calvary?
Similar situation. A family intends to go to Mass, but their car breaks down. They don’t have any money, but they have $5,000 in credit on their credit cards. They can buy a used car for that, but they won’t be able to make the payments. But shouldn’t they do that, if Mass if really Calvary. Who would forego standing with Christ at the cross for $5,000, even if they couldn’t repay it?
OK. Some of you are going to say at this point that I’m being snarky. I assure you that I am not. If Mass is truly the equivalent of Calvary, such that we should not miss it unless it is IMPOSSIBLE, just what does that mean? And why? I read a story about a paraplegic in Africa who dragged herself many miles so she could go to Mass. That is laudable. Is it required? If so, why or why not?