Is the National Cathedral Catholic?

• Thread starter Thread starter tmitchell2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tmitchell2

Is the National Cathedral Catholic? I’ve been searching web sites and can’t find any indication that it is Catholic, but have seen pictures of a Crucifix inside and statues of the Saints.

No. Epicopalian … Epscapalian…er…I can’t spell but you get the idea 😃

40.png
tmitchell2:
Is the National Cathedral Catholic? I’ve been searching web sites and can’t find any indication that it is Catholic, but have seen pictures of a Crucifix inside and statues of the Saints.
No, but the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is - which I’d love to visit someday.

No it is not. But neither is the United States.

(Perhaps it will be ours one day!)

C

40.png
Craig:
No, but the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is - which I’d love to visit someday.
The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is absolutely awesome. There are mosaics all over the place, a bunch of separate chapels inside, and the building itself could probably hold ten (or more) average-sized churches inside! It is a massive, beautiful cathedral. I strongly recommend that everyone goes to check it out sometime.

It’s Episcopal… when I was in high school we took a trip to D.C. and had to go to a service there.

I used to live near DC and visited the National Cathedral often. However, I never attended a service there - they often have guest speakers who are notorously liberal and heretical. A Christian school I know visited a service there recently and almost left because of the promotion of gay marriage by the “minister”.

It is however a nice place to visit and their giftshop is wonderful - it has a nice range of mainline, evangelical, Catholic, and Orthodox items. I also regret that I never got to go to an evensong service. (Just singing - no preaching 👍 )

Just heard it on the radio for the funeral of Ronald Reagan. The cathedral is actually named for St. Peter and St. Paul, and it was comissioned by George Washington, however the construction started much later.
I hope this helps.

Go with God!
Edwin

From the MSN website :
The National Cathedral isn’t a government institution. It’s the chief church of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, and it’s the seat of both the Episcopal bishop of Washington and the presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church USA. The cathedral’s formal title is “The Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul.”
The church considers itself the “great church for national purposes” that Pierre L’Enfant proposed in his 1790 plan for Washington. (Thomas Jefferson, among others, nixed L’Enfant’s idea, and the U.S. Patent Office occupies the site where L’Enfant envisioned America’s version of Notre Dame.) President Theodore Roosevelt was present in 1907 when construction began, and President George Bush attended in 1990 when the cathedral’s final stone was set.
The church’s interior celebrates American history’s secular saints. There are statues to George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, and there are honored spaces for both Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert E. Lee. A stained-glass window containing a piece of moon rock commemorates the first manned visit to the moon. The War Memorial Chapel pays tribute to the nation’s veterans, and the kneelers in another chapel display symbols that recognize the accomplishments of historic Americans. Woodrow Wilson is interred at the cathedral, and so are more than 150 others, including Andrew Mellon and Helen Keller.
Although the cathedral offers an array of Episcopalian services, its staff emphasizes that it is home to ecumenical and interfaith events and that it is open to people of all faiths and denominations. The cathedral, which is the sixth largest in the world, was built with private donations.

40.png
SwissGuard:
The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is absolutely awesome. There are mosaics all over the place, a bunch of separate chapels inside, and the building itself could probably hold ten (or more) average-sized churches inside! It is a massive, beautiful cathedral. I strongly recommend that everyone goes to check it out sometime.
Point of pedantry:

The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is not a cathedral (the seat of a diocese), but it is a basilica (large church, which has been granted that status by Rome).

And it is beautiful.

40.png
UnworthySoul:
Is that in the Cathedral?
No, it’s a separate building entirely. The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is a Catholic basilica, while the National Cathedral is an Episcopal Church.

JimG

It is historically Episcopalian, but nominally so today. It is mostly non-denominational in practice (like “Calvary Chapel” I guess).

Chris C.:
No it is not. But neither is the United States.

(Perhaps it will be ours one day!)

C
*One of us… one of us… *

And, FYI, the National Cathedral’s cornerstones were laid by Freemasons in an official Freemasonry ceremony, and the Episcopal bishop of D.C. at the time was a Freemason.

For what it’s worth. 😉

40.png
lepanto:
It is historically Episcopalian, but nominally so today. It is mostly non-denominational in practice (like “Calvary Chapel” I guess).
More than nominally so. Episcopal/Anglican services are held in some part of the cathedral every day. Its clergy staff are all Episcopalian. The liturgy there today for President Reagan, what I saw of it, was an Episcopal service, officiated by Episcopal bishops and other clergy. It is the active Episcopal cathedral of the Diocese of Washington, DC, and is also the site of the cathedra of the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church. It is decidedly not non-denominational.

40.png
tmitchell2:
Having lived in Washington DC, and having being a Secular Carmelite with many Religious friends there, I can say that Masses to take place in the National Cathedral. While it is consecrated Episcopalian, many faiths perform services there.

40.png
Craig:
If you do ever go to DC, don’t miss going to St. Matthew’s also. That’s where Kennedy’s funeral was held.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back