G
gabanzo
Guest
Is the Pope Infallible?
The Pope uses the **charism of infallibility in certain ways.The Pope is infallible on faith and morals.
No, the Pope has infallibly declared dogma 2 times. He has spoken infallibly many times.There are only two things a Pope has spoken with infallible certainty recognized by the Vatican. One was with the Assumption and the other is the Virgin Birth of Christ. Although many think there are many more, they are not seen as official by the Church.
I’ll copy/paste it for convenience:No, the Pope has infallibly declared dogma 2 times. He has spoken infallibly many times.
The Pope exercises the Magisterium when he is teaching about faith and morals. There was a great post a while back I read once that I think a poster named Mardukm made about this. I’ll try to find that…
The dogma of papal infallibility was defined at the First Vatican Council.Thank you. Let me elaborate. I thought I read that in the 19th or 20th century that the church decided that the Pope was infallible. Perhaps his infallibility is in the catechism? I"d like to know. The way I understood this is that the Pope could not be wrong with matters of the Church. That is not to say that the Pope could not disagree with his predecessor. He could definitely disagree but the predecessor was right for his conviction and the new Pope is right to disagree or even change Church teaching.
I thought the Pope couldn’t change teachings of Jesus but he could change something that is solely Church teaching. Like not eating meat on Friday for example. Another example is allowing divorced and remarried couples to have communion. Some Cardinals want that changed.The dogma of papal infallibility was defined at the First Vatican Council.
He can’t change Church teaching. No one can change truth, since the truth is always before us. The Church is the “channel” through which it comes to us.
“Teachings” and “rules” are not the same. The Pope cannot change Church doctrine (which covers more than only the words of Jesus). The Pope can change rules all day long.I thought the Pope couldn’t change teachings of Jesus but he could change something that is solely Church teaching. Like not eating meat on Friday for example. Another example is allowing divorced and remarried couples to have communion. Some Cardinals want that changed.
Correct. The Pope cannot change anything taught by Jesus. However, he can define or clarify misunderstandings or developments.I thought the Pope couldn’t change teachings of Jesus but he could change something that is solely Church teaching. Like not eating meat on Friday for example. Another example is allowing divorced and remarried couples to have communion. Some Cardinals want that changed.
infallibility, applies only to solemn, official teachings on faith and morals, not to disciplinary decisions or even to unofficial comments on faith and morals. A pope’s private theological opinions are not infallible, only what he solemnly defines is considered to be infallible teaching.Is the Pope Infallible?