Is the rosary fruitless when you can't focus?

  • Thread starter Thread starter McatholicN
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my favourite way to pray the Rosary. I like the scriptural references to read and artwork to look at when I pray the Rosary. It takes longer than just saying it, but is a very contemplative time. Besides, we do enough in a rush. Its nice to take some slow time to do something quiet like pray.
Here is a link to a page of Mp3 Rosaries that include a couple of scriptural Rosaries. Hearing scripture verses is also helpful on many days. catholicdoors.com/misc/rosaryonmp3.htm
 
+JMJ+
I spend quite a bit of time praying the rosary, but during any given rosary I’m probably thinking about the mysteries for no more than a minute combined. I remind myself that I should be focusing on the mysteries, and conjure an image of the mystery (which really only lasts 5-10 seconds).

Is it all in vain with such distraction?
It is IMPOSSIBLE for the Rosary, sincerely prayed, to be fruitless.

Little Meditations on the Mysteries of the Rosary Throughout the Day
 
I read that Pope Benedict XVI - between each Hail Mary - repeats the name of the Mystery he is praying to help keep him focused - I have also practiced this and shared it with a friend and we both report a much improved Rosary meditation. Simply remember to say the Mystery you are praying between each Hail Mary and it brings your thoughts back to “the Rosary”.
 
PRAY FOR ME, PLEASE, ROSARY PRAYERS! Gerard, who says:

The “Hail, Mary” is a succinct form of the Ancient Sacred Wedding Rite, itself based on the Genesis 2 formula for marriage. The man is to leave his family abode, and approach the Woman, called the “EN” or woman of “grace.” She is dwelling in her tabernacle-storehouse. “Woman” is the term Jesus exclusively used in speaking of His mother, and it is the Genesis 3:15 title of office as one who will, her and her Seed, crush Lucifer’s head, him and his minions. In Genesis 3:15, God cursed Satan and his seed with the Woman & Seed. This dynamic pervaded the ancient social and legal order. Your lineage was determined through the female alone. So Sarah and Abraham could legally marry as having different mothers. Though sharing the same father, they were not considered related at all except by the outsider system of kingship and patrilineal relations. The EN/Grace Woman owned the land and distributed the food. Marriage to her conferred rulership. Property was marked with her image, literal representations, and land titles were little statues later corrupted into idols. Rachel stole her father’s little idols to get back lands she and her sister would have inherited through their mother.

There were two “sacred strangers” who acted as verifying witnesses to the sacrament confected by the couple absent any priestly formality as this was before the Sin of Adam which demanded an atoning priesthood. Out-of-town company sounds just like the makings of a wedding. Anyway, in the case of the Virgin Mary I suggest that the two witnesses would be the Father and the Angel Gabriel.

There was (and is) a satanic revolt against the Woman & Seed. The husband was killed. The landmarks were thrown down, her land seized, she was made a temple prostitute forced to have sex with strangers, and her babies were killed. This is the answer to the question “WWSD?” What Would Satan Do? Engage in war, the enmity of Genesis 3:15, the war against Woman & Seed. The words of the Archangel Gabriel are the worst news Satan ever heard as confecting the perpetual marriage covenant with the Woman who was to bring forth the promised Seed. The Blessed Virgin Mary now shares marital unity with divinity as Spouse of the Holy Spirit which we, the Church, will share with Jesus Christ upon His return.

The Rosary is so effective as constantly repeating that covenental war cry of the first sacrament, marriage, affirming “life and blessing.” The Mysteries are all tabernacled under her marriage affirmation, the Fruit of her womb as a product of the perfect marriage so her joys and sorrows are all consecrated to God just as Jesus consecrated His life in atonement for the Sin of Adam, conquering death and banishing cursing. So the Mysteries are all bannered with marriage, the uniting of Heaven and Earth in the overarching first sacrament.

As united with Christ, as part of the Body of Christ, the very “Hail, Mary” draws our lives into that of the Woman & Seed. This affirmation of our adoption as her children, the status in which we are described in Apocalpyse 12 as her “other children”, means there is no faulty Rosary as her marital FIAT puts us in union with her and earthly spouse Saint Joseph; with her and her Heavenly Spouse the Holy Spirit; and with her and our Brother, her Son, Jesus Christ, one with our Abba, “Our Father.”

Who wouldn’t prefer to have one’s full faculties engaged in focusing on the Rosary? But we are, even as babbling children, expressing our loving awe as her children, voicing the war cry again and again, united in and affirming the marriage that consecrates the life of Christ and all united in Him. The best way to say the Rosary is in a state of grace. Our Lady relayed God’s message that He wishes to establish in the world devotion to the Immaculate Heart. The best way to show devotion to the Immaculate Heart is to emulate the Immaculate Heart in purity of intent and freedom from sin. At Fatima, she asked for monthly confession at minimum; and Five First Saturdays of reparation to her Immaculate Heart: Confession, Mass, Communion, and 15 minutes keeping her compnay, usually done in the Rosary. She promised the “only” means to world peace through her victorious sinlessness when the Bishops fully consecrates Russia to her Immaculate Heart and she converts Russia. What can we do? “Pray the daily Rosary for peace.” --Our Lady of the Rosary, Fatima, Portugal 1917

FREE ROSARY CD’s The Mary Foundation
catholicity.com/cds/cds.html
 
Sometimes I use youtube. Even though it feels unorthodox, there are some great meditations on the rosary on youtube, including Father Groeshel. Sometimes I’ll put on Gregorian Chant in the background or pray along with a rosary cd.
 
I spend quite a bit of time praying the rosary, but during any given rosary I’m probably thinking about the mysteries for no more than a minute combined. I remind myself that I should be focusing on the mysteries, and conjure an image of the mystery (which really only lasts 5-10 seconds).

Is it all in vain with such distraction?
Never, is the rosary fruitless. All you need is your heart in the right place.
 
From Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis de Montfort

“Blessed Alan also relates that a nun who had always had a great devotion to the Rosary appeared after her death to one of her sisters in religion and said to her, ‘If I were able to return in my body to have the chance of saying just a single Hail Mary, even without great fervor, I would gladly go through the sufferings that I had during my last illness all over again, in order to gain the merit of this prayer.’ It is to be noted that she had been bedridden and suffered agonizing pains for several years before she died.”

This quote always keeps me going 👍 Pray the Holy Rosary always, as long as we try to focus is what matters. As others said, God sees the effort. And the Devil tries anything to frustrate us to get us to stop saying it!

I love the Holy Rosary :gopray:
 
I struggle with this too. Recently, I’ve been capable to focus more.

Is this something to bring in Confession? I’ve been doing that since some weeks ago.

Blessings!

🙂
 
I have to say, that I concentrate much better when I do the ‘scriptural rosary’ - I like to think on each bead of the parts of the mysteries, as I can’t keep my concetrate on just 1 thing over 10 beads.

Also, for each decade I like to meant an intention known as well, or sometimes every bead if thats necessary. I sometimes feel that my rosary time isnt as good as other times, but how God intervenes each time into my day to answer my prayers, makes me know beyond doubt that no part of the rosary is ever fruitless.

The mysteries one day will mean more to you some days than others, you will gain a different perspective at different times of your life - thats why they are called mysteries in how through the rosary they slowly reveal themselves to you. Just let Mary and Jesus work with and through you in their own way, with Divine Will.

(just my humble thoughts from my own experience)
 
Fr. Vincent Serpa wisely advises to hold a crucifix and contemplate it. The mystery which it signifies may never be grasped completely, but remains an endless source of contemplation.
 
I think that as long as we don’t deliberately ignore the mystery, we are OK.

Just state the mystery at the beginning of a decade.

I often catch my attention wandering to something else during a decade. When I do, I just simply bring it back to the mystery.

Sometimes I even fall asleep before finishing a rosary. I think that as long as I had not purposefully fallen asleep, it is OK. If I reawaken a bit later and realize had fallen asleep before finishing the rosary, I just go back to the beginning of whichever decade I was on before falling asleep. For example, if I can recall having begun, say, The descent of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles" (Third Glorious Mystery), but cannot recall having begun the Assumption (Fourth Glorious), then I assum that I fell asleep somewhere in the Third Glorious. Then I begin the Third Glorious all over again.
 
…distractions are part of things often. Just when you realize it --bring your mind back…and again and again…but calmly.
 
I"m in the same boat. I"ll say my rosary but my mind wanders from something the kids earlier in the day to what I have to do later to on and on.

Doesn’t always work but I just walk around the house going from room to room as I pray.
 
After the same nagging thought for many years I have realized that the meditation on the mysteries is the standard but the actual making a prisoner of your self for a time gains a lot of merit for those whom you are inspired to pray for. This is the love for souls. Now I pray my rosaries and after listen to worship music and spend time with God in meditation.
 
Padre Pio once said that if he had to start the Rosary all over again every time he was distracted he would never have finished it.

Praying the Rosary is never fruitless. There is no minimum time anyway that you have to focus on one thing or the other.
The quote you stated that Padre Pio said about the Rosary was a very inspiring reminder. Plus it was nice to read your reminder that praying the Rosary is never fruitless.
I also like the 3 Rosary cd’s we bought. Each one is unique and the art work has helped me to focus on each mystery being said.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top