Is There Color in Heaven?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ben_Sinner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but phony world implies that we **can know nothing; **while our knowing is simply limited by the painfully short lease we have on our heads.

Newtonian mechanics work just fine for heavy, lunky, slow-moving objects like our bodies. It wasn’t until technology got five or ten steps further that something better was needed or suggested. And that point required more than ten generations to get to.

Philosophy can lead to error as much as to truth, because there is no way to “check.” Nietzsche and Plato were both philosophers.

ICXC NIKA.
I agree. Our models work, but within certain limitations. We don’t always know what those limitations are, though, until we either see something new that we can’t explain, or develop technology to experiment with something new, etc. Or like relativity and the gravity experiment during the solar eclipse. Things just aren’t always as they seem, although for all most people’s purposes, a subset of truth will suffice. Or if not true, at least “close enough.”

And the reason I say leave it to philosophers and theologians, is it’s their job IMO to speculate and discuss things that we can’t directly observe. Hebrews 11:1 says faith is the evidence of those things we cannot see. Well with technology we “see” more and more both large and small things.

My personal opinion is that there is always something beyond human measure, so that our knowledge is always going to be incomplete.

Also I’m a subscriber to the idea of the Cloud of the Unknowing. The more I cling to the Cloud of Knowing, the more I prevent God from adding new tools to my old devices. :rolleyes:
 
The problem with philosophy is that it inevitably leads to useless platitudes like “we can know nothing.” Philosophers easily forget how to be human and physical.

I don’t want to deal with any form of “unknowing”, as Death will impose that upon me soon enough.

ICXC NIKA
 
The problem with philosophy is that it inevitably leads to useless platitudes like “we can know nothing.” Philosophers easily forget how to be human and physical.

I don’t want to deal with any form of “unknowing”, as Death will impose that upon me soon enough.

ICXC NIKA
Have you not heard of the Cloud of the Unknowing? It is considered and ancient masterpiece in Catholic mystical literature.

In the context of the Cloud, to stay away from the Cloud of the Unknowing is opposite what is actually recommended. But like I say it isn’t for everyone; after your response I wondered if you’d heard of it. I’m not saying you should read it.
 
Have you not heard of the Cloud of the Unknowing? It is considered and ancient masterpiece in Catholic mystical literature.

In the context of the Cloud, to stay away from the Cloud of the Unknowing is opposite what is actually recommended. But like I say it isn’t for everyone; after your response I wondered if you’d heard of it. I’m not saying you should read it.
I was not familiar with it, but now am aware of what you referred to.

No, I am not going to read it. Unknowingness is not in any way desirable for me, it will be imposed on all of us when the blood drains from our heads.

But then, unlike you, I am not a “mystical seeker.”

Shalom and ICXC NIKA.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top