V
VanitasVanitatum
Guest
If God or some alternative doesn’t exist then no.
Last edited:
As Patty has pointed out, you already qualified the act.Under what conditions would the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another be morally acceptable?
Wozza:![]()
If everyone - literally everyone, all 7 billion of us - agree that something is wrong, isn’t it? And if it isn’t - why do so many people agree that it is?Just because one can suggest acts that have specific conditions that we would all generally agree made the act wrong,
Unless morality exists objectively it does not exist at all. I think Wozza’s position is untenable because he accepts subjective morality. Before we can say whether or not any particular action is immoral we have to first determine that there is such a thing as morality.Is slavery objectively speaking morally wrong?
If evil is whatever each of us believes it to be then what sense does it make to say something is immoral? We are doing nothing more than voicing a preference, and there is no basis for claiming that your criteria are more moral than mine. We would in fact have no basis for claiming that Mother Theresa was more moral than the Marquis de Sade. Her choices may have been different but we cannot say they were more moral.I explained that harm can generally be determined as an objective fact but that whether that harm was justified is always a subjective position. I thought that was reasonably clear.
And pretty obviously, if you ask me what my criteria is, it will be my criteria I give so obviously it is my subjective opinion.
Aren’t we stating the obvious?
Murder has a definition. As does every word. Does that make every word qualified?As Patty has pointed out, you already qualified the act.
Clever. Except I said the exact opposite. We’ll agree to disagree I’m afraid.And as regards everyone agreeing so it becomes the right thing to do?
You need to understand the difference between subjective and objective.You need to read all the answers. One of which was mine and said this in regard to harm:
‘That is almost always an objective criteria. But then we have to move on to whether the harm can be justified. Which is always subjective.’
W: I’m going to harm this guy.
O: For no reason at all?
W: No, he’s being aggresive to my innocent wife and I want to get my retaliation in first.
O: Is there reason for his aggresiveness?
W: No, it’s unjustified.
O: Go for the head.
So you personally could not give reasons why torturing children is immoral? Of course you could. Now imagine yourself in debate with someone who thinks it’s a good idea. We’re all chewing popcorn in the stalls to see who has the better argument. A lot of children will be affected by the outcome.Wozza:![]()
If evil is whatever each of us believes it to be then what sense does it make to say something is immoral? We are doing nothing more than voicing a preference, and there is no basis for claiming that your criteria are more moral than mine. We would in fact have no basis for claiming that Mother Theresa was more moral than the Marquis de Sade. Her choices may have been different but we cannot say they were more moral.I explained that harm can generally be determined as an objective fact but that whether that harm was justified is always a subjective position. I thought that was reasonably clear.
And pretty obviously, if you ask me what my criteria is, it will be my criteria I give so obviously it is my subjective opinion.
Aren’t we stating the obvious?
Subjective morality is an illusion.
Second point first. This is what you asked:Wozza:![]()
Murder has a definition. As does every word. Does that make every word qualified?As Patty has pointed out, you already qualified the act.
Clever. Except I said the exact opposite. We’ll agree to disagree I’m afraid.And as regards everyone agreeing so it becomes the right thing to do?
Me causing harm to him would be an objective fact. I just hit him in the head with a 4x2. No argument there. Now…was it justified? We don’t know.Wozza:![]()
You need to understand the difference between subjective and objective.You need to read all the answers. One of which was mine and said this in regard to harm:
‘That is almost always an objective criteria. But then we have to move on to whether the harm can be justified. Which is always subjective.’
W: I’m going to harm this guy.
O: For no reason at all?
W: No, he’s being aggresive to my innocent wife and I want to get my retaliation in first.
O: Is there reason for his aggresiveness?
W: No, it’s unjustified.
O: Go for the head.
If your example is only true for “W” then the case would be subjectively true. But if the case is always true for any actor then the case is objectively true.
I would think so, except that there does seem to be a problem with torture and slavery. In recent years, both have been condemned as morally wrong, however, there was a time when religious authorities accepted them.What is your position on whether morality objectively exists?
Until the act, the intent and circumstances are known, the case remains in the abstract. Abstraction removes facts and departs from reality.Me causing harm to him would be an objective fact. I just hit him in the head with a 4x2. No argument there. Now…was it justified? We don’t know.
Now we have two guys laying out another two guys with said 4x2’s. Was harm caused? Yes, exactly as in the first example. Was it justified in both cases? Well, if you ask a few simple questions you will be able to make a personal decision based on those conditions (which makes it relative to those conditions). And which, as being a personal decision, makes it relative to those conditions.
First guy says he didn’t like the way the victim was dressed. Second guy says that the victim was about to hit his wife.
Both examples subject to your personal opinion as to whether the acts are right or wrong.
OK. So is slavery objectively morally wrong?What difference does that make as to whether or not objective morality exists? The past judgements of religious authorities could have been wrong.
I agree. What some people class as objective morality contains no circumstances to enable one to decide if it’s a moral act. Hitting someone because he is wearing something you find offensive and doing the same if he is threatening your wife are examples of an objective act which is determined to be just or not depending on the circumstances.I realize I am late to the discussion, but you are obviously confusing two things. There is objective morality, and there is the case of applying that morality to specific circumstances. That can at times require a subject judgement. But the issue: assaulting someone with a 2x4 is objectively wrong, when so assaulted, defending one self is objectively just.
And you don’t know it’s evil (sticking a needle into a child) unless you know the circumstances. So it becomes relative to those circumstances. And then you can make a personal decision based on those circumstances.Wozza:![]()
Until the act, the intent and circumstances are known, the case remains in the abstract. Abstraction removes facts and departs from reality.Me causing harm to him would be an objective fact. I just hit him in the head with a 4x2. No argument there. Now…was it justified? We don’t know.
Now we have two guys laying out another two guys with said 4x2’s. Was harm caused? Yes, exactly as in the first example. Was it justified in both cases? Well, if you ask a few simple questions you will be able to make a personal decision based on those conditions (which makes it relative to those conditions). And which, as being a personal decision, makes it relative to those conditions.
First guy says he didn’t like the way the victim was dressed. Second guy says that the victim was about to hit his wife.
Both examples subject to your personal opinion as to whether the acts are right or wrong.
An abstracted case is not objective or subjective, it simply is abstracted, missing one or more facts. One can never judge the morality of a case in which intent or circumstances are abstracted unless the act itself is intrinsically evil.
I cannot give any reason to believe that morality itself exists unless it exists objectively. If it is simply subjective then it is a meaningless concept. Yes, of course we all believe torturing children is immoral, but that’s not actually a rational position unless there is an objectively true moral basis for claiming it.So you personally could not give reasons why torturing children is immoral?
OK, but this is a very different discussion than one with someone who believes morality does not objectively exist. As I said, that is the first point to be settled. You are bringing up an issue that goes to the second point: how do we identify that objectively true moral code?I would think so, except that there does seem to be a problem with torture and slavery. In recent years, both have been condemned as morally wrong, however, there was a time when religious authorities accepted them.