B
Brenlae
Guest
I was reading through Genesis the other day (NAB 1991 version) and I noticed a footnote that was very questionable:
Well, thanks for all who reply.
EDIT - I hope I don’t have to buy another bible. I’ve bought two this year already (NRSV-CE and NIV Study Bible). Although, my NRSV-CE has really small text.
Could somebody shed some light on this for me? Why did they say African Negroes? Is this acceptable? Should I upgrade to the NABRE? I mean, I know they’re saying that it is bad for slavery, but the terminology they use seems a bit … odd.Genesis 9 [18-27] This story seems to be a composite of two earlier accounts; in the one, Ham was guilty, whereas, in the other, it was Canaan. One purpose of the story is to justify the Israelites’ enslavement of the Canaanites because of certain indecent sexual practices in the Canaanite religion. Obviously the story offers no justification for enslaving African Negroes, even though Canaan is presented as a “son” of Ham because the land of Canaan belonged to Hamitic Egypt at the time of the Israelite invasion.
Well, thanks for all who reply.
EDIT - I hope I don’t have to buy another bible. I’ve bought two this year already (NRSV-CE and NIV Study Bible). Although, my NRSV-CE has really small text.