Is This An Act of Defiance?

• Thread starter Thread starter Batman2.0
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Batman2.0

I am very interested in the eastern rites of Catholicism. All I am worried about is whether or not it is disrespectful to my parents to “convert” to an eastern rite as it is different than the rite that they raised me in, Roman Catholicism. Thank you all and God bless!

They are 100%Catholic. There would be nothing wrong with it.

If you attend an Eastern Catholic church, canonically you still remain a Roman Catholic. It’s like visiting your aunt’s house - it’s not your house but you’re still with family.

Oh totally, by far, the majority of parishioners at the Melkite church I sometimes go to are canonically Latin.

If you attend an Eastern Catholic church, canonically you still remain a Roman Catholic. It’s like visiting your aunt’s house - it’s not your house but you’re still with family.
Wait, so you can’t ever change rites completely?

You should REALLY think that through first. The Eastern Catholic Churches have a different Liturgy/Qorbono, rules of fast & abstinence, spirituality, theology etc. If you are a minor, you can’t do this without your parents’ consent.

Learn about and appreciate your own tradition in the Roman Catholic Church before you think about making such a big change. Also learn about the Eastern Catholic Churches. Compare them to your own Latin tradition.

I went through a period in my life where I thought about embracing the Latin Tradition. The more I learned about that, the more I grew to love my Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.

40.png
Margaret_Ann:
Wait, so you can’t ever change rites completely?
If the person requesting is in an area with both a Latin and eastern bishop then the receiving eastern bishop handles the transfer, but it is not guaranteed, for there must be a good reason, and prior regular attendance for a few years is common. It is easy to transfer in families of mixed Catholic sui iuris churches. If there is no eastern bishop where one lives, then the diacastry in Rome Congregation for the Oriental Churches (Congregatio pro Ecclesiis Orientalibus) handles the transfer.

Last edited:
Yes I understand but if the OP is a minor then all bets are off.

Yes I understand but if the OP is a minor then all bets are off.
I suppose in the simplest case that is so – yet fourteen is the age of election – but, for example, a woman that marries (must have completed her fourteenth year of age) could choose to switch to the Catholics spouse’s sui iuris church. Also a man that marries (must have completed his sixteenth year of age) could choose to switch to the Catholic spouse’s sui iuris church.

Last edited:
True, but since the OP & parents are RC, I think OP should learn more about his or her own tradition first. One can’t change one’s particular Church like changing one’s hat. 😬

If OP still lives with parents, that’s another thing too.

Last edited:
True, but since the OP & parents are RC, I think OP should learn more about his or her own tradition first. One can’t change one’s particular Church like changing one’s hat. 😬

If OP still lives with parents, that’s another thing too.
It is not ideal to transfer in general but is allowed for specific reasons such as family unity. I know of one family where the transfer was made through marriage, with one parent and those children under 14 becoming eastern, but the one child 14 or older choose to remain Latin. The other children retain the right to switch back if desired, once age 14.

CCEO
Canon 31 - No one can presume in any way to induce the Christian faithful to transfer to another Church sui iuris.

Last edited:
CCEO
Canon 31 - No one can presume in any way to induce the Christian faithful to transfer to another Church sui iuris .
Exactly. That’s why i think OP should really think this over. I thought about becoming Latin but decided against it. However, discovering the Latin Tradition helped me grow to appreciate my own Tradition.

True, but since the OP & parents are RC, I think OP should learn more about his or her own tradition first.
Yes.
One can’t change one’s particular Church like changing one’s hat. 😬
Love this. Wish I could give it ten “likes”. 😊
That’s why i think OP should really think this over. I thought about becoming Latin but decided against it. However, discovering the Latin Tradition helped me grow to appreciate my own Tradition.
Yes times three.
I am worried about is whether or not it is disrespectful to my parents to “convert” to an eastern rite as it is different than the rite that they raised me in, Roman Catholicism.
@Batman2.0 have you discussed your interest in switching rites with your parents? I would see if you can get their blessing to visit the nearest Eastern Catholic church for a number of Sundays before you officially switch to the Eastern Rite. I would go slowly and do greater research into the Latin Rite and her traditions before making any major decisions. Have you tried a TLM parish? I am currently Eastern Orthodox with a deep love and appreciation for traditional Roman Rite Catholicism.

Last edited:
All I am worried about is whether or not
it is disrespectful to my parents
to “convert” to an eastern rite
Did they tell you not to do so?
Do they express disdain for the Eastern Churches?
Have you asked them about it?

You might try inviting them to a Sunday Service
of the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom…

Is the Eastern Church beautiful?

How old are you?
Do you still live at home?
Are you zealous for God?

geo

Last edited:
A number of things come into play if you can get an answer. First, your age matters. I believe you can choose to change your canonical church from the age of fourteen. However, if you are under 18 that would make a difference.

If you are 18 and over do you live with your parents or at home? Still living at home could lead to difficulties.

Another factor which you do not mention is how your parents feel about this. They may be opposed, supportive or neutral.

Why do you want to change canonical church? You do need a good reason.

Thank you all for your replies! I am a college student, and my parents have never told me not to switch rites. Rather, I am worried about shunning the rite they raised me in. I am not set on changing rites, I just find the eastern rites more apostolic and traditional.

for there must be a good reason,
the “good reason” required can be as simple as, “I fell more at home spiritually here.”

All presumptions against not changing are long gone . . .
It is not ideal to transfer in general but is allowed for specific reasons such as family unity.
NO! This just isn’t the case any more. There are no “specific reasons” for which it is permitted.

An Eastern Rite is a possible avenue I am following. But it is certainly something to discern and pray over with patience. One of the opportunities the pandemic has provided is the ability to watch Masses from different parishes, and I have taken the time to watch some Divine Liturgies.

From what I can tell, many Latin Rite Catholics may never formally switch from their diocese to the eparchy of their Eastern parish, but they may attend Divine Liturgies there and be part of the parish for many years, without formally transferring to the eparchy. But that is just based on the few examples I have come across.

40.png
Vico:
for there must be a good reason,
the “good reason” required can be as simple as, “I fell more at home spiritually here.”

All presumptions against not changing are long gone . . .
It is not ideal to transfer in general but is allowed for specific reasons such as family unity.
NO! This just isn’t the case any more. There are no “specific reasons” for which it is permitted.
Some specific reasons are in the canon law for transfer. See CIC Canons 111, 112, rescript of 112 from AAS 85 [1993], and CCEO Cannons 29-38. Take note of Moto Proprio De concordia inter Codices May 31, 2016.

I am worried about shunning the rite
All the Catholic rites are equal so by going to worship in one rite is not in any way disrespectful to another. This is simply a matter of personal choice. One may choose the Extraordinary Form over the Ordinary Form in the Roman Rite. One may prefer going to Sacred Heart Church rather than St. Michael and All Angels.
I am not set on changing rites
You need to be careful about terminology here. The Latin and Eastern Catholic churches are canonical churches. In Latin the phrase sui iuris is used. Rites are the manner in which the churches celebrate the liturgy. For example, the Latin Catholic Church as the Roman, Mozarabic, Dominican rites et al. Many of the Eastern Catholic churches follow the Byzantine Rite; however, there are other Eastern rites, Alexandrian, Armenian, etc.
I just find the eastern rites more apostolic and traditional.
You can go to Mass/Divine Liturgy/Qurbono at any Eastern or Latin church of your choice. You need not make formal transfer from the Latin Catholic Church sui iuris to one of the Eastern Catholic churches.

Perhaps you can spend more time at an Eastern church exploring its liturgy, spirituality, theology, etc. before you make any decision. Should you one day choose to make the formal canonical transfer you need to be certain. Whilst such transfers are possible switching back and forth will not be looked upon favourably. If you elect to change canonical church you need to be absolutely certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back