Is this apologetics site for real?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RPRPsych
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not a Catholic. I’m just kind of distressed that anybody gets caught up in conspiracy theory type stuff.
Oh I know… I definitely agree with you there.
This must be why I saw it recommended on other sites.

His material on some issues, such as contraception, is excellent. It’s unfortunate that he’s decided to ride the “Semi-Sedevacantist” gravy train. Praying for him.
Who knows where he took that wrong turn… I love his biblical apologetics, and he’s always gotten back to me when I’ve e-mailed him. Very sad…
 
This must be why I saw it recommended on other sites.

His material on some issues, such as contraception, is excellent. It’s unfortunate that he’s decided to ride the “Semi-Sedevacantist” gravy train. Praying for him.
Yes, a lot of his stuff was excellent, mostly the early stuff. Back when he was actually able to get a nihil obstat. It seems to me that as he went along, he drifted further and further away from reality. I have his book on predestination, which is somewhat of a middle period, and it is horrendous.
 
I’ve benefited greatly from both Salza and Sungenis. But their more recent material has taken a turn for the worse. I, too, will cease linking to his webpage as I have in the past. I still find some of his stuff quite useful in explaining the Faith, but a Catholic (or non-Catholic) who is seeking Truth and putting their trust in “apologists” could easily be led down the wrong path. This is just another reason not to put all your stock in one guy/group of guys. Study various sources, and compare it all to the Catechism to make sure it’s legit.
 
Yes, a lot of his stuff was excellent, mostly the early stuff. Back when he was actually able to get a nihil obstat. It seems to me that as he went along, he drifted further and further away from reality. I have his book on predestination, which is somewhat of a middle period, and it is horrendous.
A book on predestination? I’m afraid to ask, but what’s horrendous about it? Predestination is always a tricky thing to discuss.
 
A book on predestination? I’m afraid to ask, but what’s horrendous about it? Predestination is always a tricky thing to discuss.
I think he might be most famous for the book he wrote on predestination.

I consider the work to be “Hyper-Thomistic”, filled with extreme logical contradictions, and just portrays God in a very Calvinistic way.
 
Yes, a lot of his stuff was excellent, mostly the early stuff. Back when he was actually able to get a nihil obstat.
Bingo! This is true of others as well. All of the sudden, you stop seeing the “Nihil Obstat” or “Imprimitur” (or maybe they published several works that never received it to begin with)and you wonder why. “Why” is because they went off the rails and failed to teach Catholicism. Interestingly, I only recently found out that there is a Canon that suggests that such theological works should not be published if they are refused the Bishop’s approval. I’m not a Canon Lawyer so I’m not certain is the language of the Canon means that such works MUST be submitted, and then MAY NOT be printed if disapproved?

Can. 823 §1. In order to preserve the integrity of the truths of faith and morals, the pastors of the Church have the duty and right to be watchful so that no harm is done to the faith or morals of the Christian faithful through writings or the use of instruments of social communication. They also have the duty and right to demand that writings to be published by the Christian faithful which touch upon faith or morals be submitted to their judgment and have the duty and right to condemn writings which harm correct faith or good morals.
 
I think he might be most famous for the book he wrote on predestination.

I consider the work to be “Hyper-Thomistic”, filled with extreme logical contradictions, and just portrays God in a very Calvinistic way.
I would add that I read the book when I was considering converting to the Church, looking for the Catholic view, and the book almost caused me to not join the Church or abandon my search.
 
So sorry to hear the direction he has chosen to take. Will pray for him.

I’m one of those who have posted a link to his website. The only thing I’ve ever used on his site is the “Scripture/Fathers” link, so was unaware of what was contained in the other sections. I also will no longer post a link to his site, altho personally I’ll continue to use it when searching for Scripture and ECF references. Such a shame to longer feel comfortable sharing that good resource with others.
 
I would add that I read the book when I was considering converting to the Church, looking for the Catholic view, and the book almost caused me to not join the Church or abandon my search.
Interesting that you should say that, because one of the things that kept me in the Church during a period of searching was the Catechism’s statement that “God predestines no one to go to hell.” 🙂
 
Interesting that you should say that, because one of the things that kept me in the Church during a period of searching was the Catechism’s statement that “God predestines no one to go to hell.” 🙂
Yes, one of the things I noted in the review I wrote of his book is that when we have a phrase such as “God predestines no one to hell.”, we mean certain things by that statement, such as A, B, C, and D. He has a habit in the book of denying statements such as “God predestines people to Hell.” and then affirming everything it entails.

Such a line of argumentation makes the book very confusing and contradictory. I remember one section of the book where in the space of two sentences he says that God gives everyone sufficient Grace to be saved, but the sufficient Grace isn’t actually sufficient to save anyone, as a matter of fact, its metaphysically impossible.

Makes me feel like grabbing it off the shelf and hunting for that quote or one like it.
 
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top