Is this ok?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mini_gerbel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mini_gerbel

Is not doing the fasts on Friday and stuff ok. I have football practice and if i don’t eat. My strength decreases like a lead Iron ball falling off a building.

Is not doing the fasts on Friday and stuff ok. I have football practice and if i don’t eat. My strength decreases like a lead Iron ball falling off a building.
I have a similar situation. I think I’ll do the bare minimum of fasting and make up for it with other sacrifices.

You have football practice at this time of year?

Anyway, teenagers (if that’s what you are) eat like gorillas and need to. There are only two fast days: Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. So you should be able to fast without committing suicide.

If you want to do something for Lent to kick up your relationship with Christ a notch, you could abstain from meat on Wednesdays & Fridays and try going to Mass a couple of times during the week. If you go on Saturday morning, you could offer your early rising as penance. Mayby pray the stations of the cross in church . . . Then when you get home, do all the stuff your mom yells at you to do without being asked.

Now THAT’S Lent!

You have football practice at this time of year?

Anyway, teenagers (if that’s what you are) eat like gorillas and need to. There are only two fast days: Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. So you should be able to fast without committing suicide.

If you want to do something for Lent to kick up your relationship with Christ a notch, you could abstain from meat on Wednesdays & Fridays and try going to Mass a couple of times during the week. If you go on Saturday morning, you could offer your early rising as penance. Mayby pray the stations of the cross in church . . . Then when you get home, do all the stuff your mom yells at you to do without being asked.

Now THAT’S Lent!
no no no silly. It really put me behind on my strength training. I didnt eat the entire two days i was sick and got SOOOOO FAR BEHIND. I do have football practice we have it all year round.

Put Christ before football. Sacrafice a little for him. Explain to your coach that it is a religious sacrafice required of you at this time of the year. It is two days of fasting. That means 1 normal meal and two small meals (really just like a rice cake, or a piece of toast) you will survive. Dont eat meat on fridays. Well you can still eat fish, take protein powder etc. You can still get the food you need for practice. But is falling a little behind in football such a big sacrafice compared to what Christ sacraficed for you… you should do this little bit as an act of grattitude. And anyways to not do the fast would be a grave sin. How old are you, If you are under 18 some of the rules dont apply to you. Look them up.

Put Christ before football. Sacrafice a little for him. Explain to your coach that it is a religious sacrafice required of you at this time of the year. It is two days of fasting. That means 1 normal meal and two small meals (really just like a rice cake, or a piece of toast) you will survive. Dont eat meat on fridays. Well you can still eat fish, take protein powder etc. You can still get the food you need for practice. But is falling a little behind in football such a big sacrafice compared to what Christ sacraficed for you… you should do this little bit as an act of grattitude. And anyways to not do the fast would be a grave sin. How old are you, If you are under 18 some of the rules dont apply to you. Look them up.
The two smaller meals can be more than a rice cake or piece of toast. The rule is that the two smaller meals cannot add up to one large meal. A sandwhich or salad and soup is OK. Skip the chips or the cookies, the potato salad and slaw. You do not need to starve yourself when fasting. That is not what the Church asks for.

The two smaller meals can be more than a rice cake or piece of toast. The rule is that the two smaller meals cannot add up to one large meal. A sandwhich or salad and soup is OK. Skip the chips or the cookies, the potato salad and slaw. You do not need to starve yourself when fasting. That is not what the Church asks for.
:amen:

The aim is to eat less than your usual, enough less that you notice, not enough less that you keel over in a faint. Determine roughly what amount that is, then eat half of it as one big meal (depends on when you’ll most need that energy). And the rest of it divide into two smaller meals.

Alternatively, talk to your pastor (today!) and he may give you a dispensation from the fasting if your circumstances really warant it.

Maintain the fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. I am a martial arts instructor completing a heavy fast and absitenence. I intend to continue training, albeit lighter training. However if you cannot maintain this (and I don’t advise you to try) then find another fast for the rest of Lent, videogames, internet, junk food, something you enjoy.

football practice interferes with the only 6 days of the year we are required to go without meat? in the spring? hard to believe
Meat is the only source of protein you can think of? even harder to believe.

no no no silly. It really put me behind on my strength training. I didnt eat the entire two days i was sick and got SOOOOO FAR BEHIND. I do have football practice we have it all year round.
The fast days of the Church are only two: Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. It is not required that you take no food or drink at all. You may have one meal, and you may break it up into parts.

As a former athlete myself, I know how long it takes to lose your conditioning. It takes more than one day.

If you find it so difficult to fast, you should have a doctor check you out. A little discomfort is natural but getting sick is an extreme reaction. The only time I ever got sick fasting was when I went for three days without food or water (don’t ask!). The “tame” fast of the Church should not incapacitate even an elite athlete.

I’ve been trying to gain weight since the beginning of the year, so I definitely share your frustration (I’m supposed to get around 2200 calories a day…yeah, I never realized how difficult that would actually be!). I eat A LOT of pasta, especially at this time of the year.

You can have one full meal and two small meals during the fast days. I used to be very involved in athletics and I can’t recall ever losing my conditioning because of the fast.

Two or three protein shakes a day, a couple of bananas, with a small meal… drink water.

Fasting doesn’t mean not to eat at all. Please consider researching and reading more about fasting…I don’t think you understand the complete concept.

God bless.

Fasting does not apply to those below 18 years of age.

If you are over 18, you would not practice on Good Friday anyway - so, if you have practice on Ash Wed, ask for a dispensation from your Priest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back