Is this sinful?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheOne33
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheOne33

Guest
For a while now I’ve been extremely interested in living a life detached from worldly goods. However, every now and then I hit a little bump in the road. I have a pretty deep fascination for technology and every once in a while I’ll see a tablet on the market and I begin to feel a deep want for it (greed). Of course I’ll feel guilty about wanting it. Despite my interests in the detached life, I still own MANY possessions and get that greedy feeling every once in a while. Am I being a hypocrite to myself? Also, if there is anyone here who has gone through what I’m going through or who is living a life of extreme minimalism, I want to ask if you could share how you got through it. Thanks!
 
Several of your posts on here suggest you have some scrupulosity and/or compulsive/axiety issues. You really need to be under spiritual direction with a competent spiritual director well versed in such issues.

You should not be attempting some sort of “extreme minimalization” of your life without spiritual direction. You need professional assistance.
 
Unless you have taken a vow of poverty, (which it doesn’t sound like you have) then no, it is not a sin. See 1ke’s advice.
 
Several of your posts on here suggest you have some scrupulosity and/or compulsive/axiety issues. You really need to be under spiritual direction with a competent spiritual director well versed in such issues.

You should not be attempting some sort of “extreme minimalization” of your life without spiritual direction. You need professional assistance.
I would agree. There’s nothing wrong with owning a tablet, the Holy Father himself has tweeted using an iPad.
 
Wanting to own material possessions is not sinful.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a minimalistic life. I am an engineer and work with high tech gadgets all of the time. It is my life’s work and I enjoy it. I keep my personal life as simple as possible. I don’t think it is called extreme minimalism. I have a simple rule. If I don’t need, then I don’t want it.
 
By ‘extreme minimalism’ I mean reducing my possessions down to 50 to 100 items or so.
 
For a while now I’ve been extremely interested in living a life detached from worldly goods. However, every now and then I hit a little bump in the road. I have a pretty deep fascination for technology and every once in a while I’ll see a tablet on the market and I begin to feel a deep want for it (greed). Of course I’ll feel guilty about wanting it. Despite my interests in the detached life, I still own MANY possessions and get that greedy feeling every once in a while. Am I being a hypocrite to myself? Also, if there is anyone here who has gone through what I’m going through or who is living a life of extreme minimalism, I want to ask if you could share how you got through it. Thanks!
Not everyone needs a spiritual director but you do, definitely. A lawyer who represents himself is an absolute fool. Anyone doing anything unusual in the spiritural life without spiritual direction is a fool. Mostly such people are trying to make a " pius " impression on others. Doesn’t impress me one bit!! What impresses me more is humility and meekness and when someone has it, it is clear as a crystal bell. I am neither needless to say. But I do know a phoney when I see one.

:hey_bud:
 
Hypocrites pretend. And it could seem by our weakness that we lose our heart with what we do for God and give acts that seem to be pretend in our faith. Someone brought that up to S. Josemaria, and he said to have perseverance with that feeling no matter how strong. Be a clown for the Lord!

As long as you desire to be holy and contrite then that does not count for being a hypocrite. Thereby, we should be wary of feeling content with ourselves. That is a spirit of humility that S. John of the Cross speaks of in his Ascent of Mount Carmel.

What you speak of is avaricious, pertaining to one of the Captial sins residing in the lust of the eyes (the other two, lust of the flesh and the Pride of life, cf. 1 Jn 2:16). One of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit is Fear of the Lord which perfects the will and the passions in regard to the areas mention in 1 Jn 2:16.

We are all sinful, and we should try to obtain all the Gifts of the Holy Spirit to strive to be holy in ourselves with others. What you speak of is a lust, so keep fighting its dominion to take you. Trust in God and look to peace at that end, that is primary the battle field to be concerned about. Be at peace with the ill-feeling of yourself. It might seem like a contradiction but it is the life of the saints.
 
By ‘extreme minimalism’ I mean reducing my possessions down to 50 to 100 items or so.
Again, NOT to be undertaken without spiritual direction. The Saints did not undertake mortifications without spiritual direction. You really need to seek such counseling given your leanings towards scrupulosity.
 
Not everyone needs a spiritual director but you do, definitely. A lawyer who represents himself is an absolute fool. Anyone doing anything unusual in the spiritural life without spiritual direction is a fool. Mostly such people are trying to make a " pius " impression on others. Doesn’t impress me one bit!! What impresses me more is humility and meekness and when someone has it, it is clear as a crystal bell. I am neither needless to say. But I do know a phoney when I see one.

:hey_bud:
I am in no way trying to make an impression on others. This is for my own gratification and peace of mind.
 
Again, NOT to be undertaken without spiritual direction. The Saints did not undertake mortifications without spiritual direction. You really need to seek such counseling given your leanings towards scrupulosity.
I have tried going to a therapist(Catholic, mind you) without any success. The closest I’ve gotten to Spiritual Direction is the ‘tips’ I’ve gotten in confession.
 
I have tried going to a therapist(Catholic, mind you) without any success. The closest I’ve gotten to Spiritual Direction is the ‘tips’ I’ve gotten in confession.
Spiritual direction is not therapy. You certainly might need therapy for certain issues, but that does not substitute for spiritual direction which you may need **in addition to **therapy.

The priest in confession is not there to give you regular spiritual direction. That would come outside the confessional on a regularly scheduled basis.

Some priests are spiritual directors, as are some deacons, religious sisters, and lay persons. Your priest or the diocese should be able to give you a list of the spiritual directors available in your diocese. Your priest may be able to undertake spiritual direction with you, but if his schedule does not allow it he will refer you to someone else.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top