Is using the name of God in a joke taking the Lord’s name in vain?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ashistrash66
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ashistrash66

Guest
The catechism says that any irreverent use of Gods name violates the second commandment but what about when it isn’t inherently irreverent? For example, some jokes use the word “God” but it’s not inherently irreverent. Such as the popular “what if you wanted to go to heaven but God said” meme, or a more personal example, I really like joking about the crusades with my friends, which sometimes involves using the phrase “deus vult” or god wills as a jokey kind of “battle cry.” Am I being scrupulous here?
 
Still, we reference him as that. By that logic, then it’d be totally okay to say “oh my ***”
 
Last edited:
I believe God has a sense of humor. He created US, didn’t he? As long as there’s no disrespect intended in one’s heart, I don’t see a problem. Chances are, if the joke is funny enough, God may laugh at it, too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top