Isn’t it a contradiction to offer a plenary indulgence to those who have Coronavirus, if everyone is saved anyway?

• Thread starter Thread starter Maximian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pope Francis just reiterated what St. Paul told us in the book of Romans:

“For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but the doers of the law who will be justified. When Gentiles, who do not possess the law, do instinctively what the law requires, these, though not having the law, are a law to themselves. They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts, to which their own conscience also bears witness; and their conflicting thoughts will accuse or perhaps excuse them on the day when, according to my gospel, God, through Jesus Christ, will judge the secret thoughts of all.”

We will all be surprised to see who is in heaven. Even that atheist is going to be given the chance to accept God for every moment he is alive. The Church never states “Joe is in hell”.

Im sorry but whatever you or I think, the Pope thinks that everyone who does good, regardless of faith, goes to heaven. And since everyone does some good in his life, that means everyone.
This isn’t what “the Pope thinks”, it’s what you think the Pope thinks, and therefore it falls in the category of “I think.”

Anyway, even if you were somehow right, which I doubt, but let’s just say for the sake of argument you were, and that the Pope in thinking what you think he thinks was also correct and everybody was “saved” and ultimately went to Heaven, how does that make Purgatory go away? Being “saved” does not guarantee a person zero Purgatory. And the indulgences are to help those in Purgatory, not to “save” people. If you want to pray for sinners to be “saved”, that’s a separate prayer, not an indulgence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back