Issues for Conclave

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

Washington Times:
"…Progressive Catholics have not been asleep at the wheel either. This week, a book published in Italy by a liberal Catholic center in Bologna includes what amounts to a liberal wish list addressed to the newly elected leader of their church in the 21st century. The book is “The Bologna Workshop 1953-2003,” a compilation of documents spanning 50 years of activity at the Institute for Religious Sciences founded in the northern Italian city of Bologna by the Rev. Giuseppe Dossetti, a prominent liberal theologian who first came to prominence in the church as a key consultant in the Second Vatican Council.

In August 1978, as the cardinals were preparing to vote for a successor to Pope Paul VI, each received a lengthy confidential paper prepared by members of the Bologna Workshop under Dossetti’s direction. It offered detailed proposals to the new pontiff, “For the renewal of the pope’s service to the Church at the end of the 20th century.” The conclave elected Cardinal Albino Luciani as Pope John Paul I. When he died suddenly a month later, a second conclave elected Polish-born Cardinal Karol Wojtyla, who took the name John Paul II.

The document was never made public, and its publication in “The Bologna Workshop” proclaims an agenda that liberals consider as timely now as it was 26 years ago.

In what commentators consider its key section the document deals with changes in the papacy, which the new pope is urged to introduce in the first 100 days of his pontificate, when “his prestige is not yet deadened by routine.” All the proposals in this section deal with enlarging the collegial role in the central government of the church of Catholic bishops, with the pope as the first among equals rather than supreme head.

The central change is the creation of a collegial body “at the highest level of the Church” with the pope as president. Meeting on a bi-weekly basis it would consider the problems facing the church as a whole, and would take decisions. The new mechanism “would imply making the collegial manner of exercising supreme responsibility of the Church the ordinary one, and making the personal way the exception,” the document says. The document also urges the new pope to scale down both the power and size of the Roman Curia, the church’s historic central government. Its main function should be to carry out the decisions of the collegial body, the document says.

The new pope is also urged to look into new ways of appointing bishops throughout the Catholic world. Under the present system, the local episcopal conference, usually together with (name removed by moderator)ut from the papal nuncio – the Vatican’s diplomatic representative – submits three names to the pope who makes the final selection. Even so, the pope is not bound to choose a name from the proffered list. He can, and often does, nominate bishops from outside it. The Bologna document suggests that a formula should be found in which the local church picks the new bishop and then seeks papal approval.

Another controversial proposal is that the pope should close down the Vatican’s world-wide network of nunciatures, or embassies, and eventually abolish the diplomatic service of the Holy See (diplomatic speak for the Vatican) altogether. National episcopal conferences, it says, should assume responsibility for relations between their respective countries and Rome…"

JMJ + OBT​
My reaction to the quoted article . . .

This is the first time I’ve ever used a smilie/emoticon on these forums as I often feel they are overused, but in this context it seems warranted.

Not to worry. John Paul II did issue a document, something sint I think, where he asked for (name removed by moderator)ut as to how the Papal Office might be better exercised. In any case don’t matter how thick or how weighty the document from Bologna is, it is still just a wish list.

40.png
rwoehmke:
Not to worry. John Paul II did issue a document, something sint I think, where he asked for (name removed by moderator)ut as to how the Papal Office might be better exercised. In any case don’t matter how thick or how weighty the document from Bologna is, it is still just a wish list.
Well I am worried.

About 5 years ago Msgr. Kelly wrote his book on Authority in the Church and cited this move for a new governance of the church which will in effect make the pope a figurehead and the national councils the “ruling bodies” thus expressing their version of the so called collegiality of the bishops. The present pontiff smelling this from afar has during this pontificate, issued Apostolos Suos in response to it. I suspect that after his death there are those will try to put it on a back burner citing good Pope John’s axiom, “just a new way of presenting things”.

Approx. two years ago ITV ran a lengthy article talking about a large faction including many curial high ranking members calling for a new way of governing the church - they had promised that tihs year they will be doing a follow up article.

When you see such statements as:

From a leading Church theologian:
But from the dogmas promulgated by it the absolute sovereignty of the pope cannot be deduced. And nor can one deduce that the current highly centralized mode of exercising the primacy is the sole one compatible with the dogmas of 1870. The mode is to be measured according to the flexible criterion of Ecclesiae necessitas, the same one followed by Vatican Council I…

From the Primate of England:
It should be possible’, he wrote, ‘by a prudent and daring application of the principle of subsidiarity, to take in hand a massive programme of decentralisation’…

"…Has the teaching of the Second Vatican Council regarding the collegiality of bishops being implemented sufficiently? Has enough provision been made to ensure consultation between the Bishop of Rome and local churches prior to making important decisions affecting either a local church or the whole Church? In supporting the Bishop of Rome in his work of promoting communion among the Churches, do the structures and procedures of the Roman Curia adequately respect the exercise of legitimate authority and responsibility at other levels? How will the Catholic Church address the question of a universal Primacy as it emerges from the dialogue with other Christians and the exercise of the office of the Pope to which John Paul II has invited Church leaders and their theologians to assist him? These are big questions and the answers won’t be found easily or overnight!

The planners for future church are forumulating the direction the Church will move in various ways in relationship to ecumenism, the papacy, relationships of bishops to pope and vice versa - thus people differ and form position papers and debate.

There is more afoot my friend than shows on the surface of the curial iceberg floating toward the ship of Peter’s barque and IMO the fight at conclave will be a bitter one, make no mistake about it.

40.png
whosebob:
This is the first time I’ve ever used a smilie/emoticon on these forums as I often feel they are overused, but in this context it seems warranted.
Amen on the emoticons - some people seem like kids with a box of new crayons - you can hardly read the copy for the “smileys”— as for the other - stay tuned my friend, you will be hearing more about this, but incrementally, just a drop or two at a time.

interesting thoughts. I’m suprised as the rather unthinking negative reactions to all of this. I dearly hope the cardinals ponder these matters with more seriousness.

Dissolving the Holy See diplomatic core would be a great mistake. It performs a great service for the church and world peace.

The core goal of “enlarging the collegial role in the central government of the church” is difficult to dismiss as it has been trend in the church from Pius XII on.

We certainly can be thankful that this group take such high concern for the church and hope their studies and well as others are appropriately considered by the authorities.

God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back