E
EnglishTeacher
Guest
So I’m a candidate in RCIA, about to be confirmed and to receive first Holy Communion at Easter Vigil this Saturday. I was baptized years ago in an Evangelical church that didn’t keep any record of my baptism. I think it was done in the Trinitarian method, but I can’t remember for sure, and I can’t find anyone else who remembers, either. For this reason, the priest at my parish decided (a few weeks ago) that we should do a conditional baptism before Easter Vigil.
I haven’t been able to coordinate a time with my sponsor yet for the conditional baptism because she’s been out of town for almost a month due to a family emergency.
So this is my question: ** Do I need to wait for the conditional baptism to go to my first confession?** I’m really confused, and I don’t know when or if I will be able to get a hold of my priest, especially with Holy Week coming up–he’s busy, and doesn’t always return phone calls.
**Edit to add: As I was re-thinking the issue, it seems to me that even with my baptism in doubt, I could still go to confession tomorrow as I had originally planned. If my baptism years ago was valid, then my confession would be valid also. If, on the the other hand, my baptism was not valid, the conditional baptism will take care of all my sins. Therefore, I could still go to confession even before my conditional baptism takes place. Is this reasoning correct?
I haven’t been able to coordinate a time with my sponsor yet for the conditional baptism because she’s been out of town for almost a month due to a family emergency.
So this is my question: ** Do I need to wait for the conditional baptism to go to my first confession?** I’m really confused, and I don’t know when or if I will be able to get a hold of my priest, especially with Holy Week coming up–he’s busy, and doesn’t always return phone calls.
**Edit to add: As I was re-thinking the issue, it seems to me that even with my baptism in doubt, I could still go to confession tomorrow as I had originally planned. If my baptism years ago was valid, then my confession would be valid also. If, on the the other hand, my baptism was not valid, the conditional baptism will take care of all my sins. Therefore, I could still go to confession even before my conditional baptism takes place. Is this reasoning correct?